Is there a problem with the DX6

Rocker

Hi, I propose that SPEKTRUM make an upgrade from DX6 G2 to G3 available whereby you only need to solder a second antenna wire to the same connection point where the existing one is connected to the RF board. You then orientate this one 90 degrees to the existing one and thereby have a second diversity antenna.

Has anyone considered doing this as a DIY project yet:

• 8 months later...

Coming late into this thread. Returned my DX6 to HH after experiencing problems. Usual thing.....came back with a new RF board.

What I would like to know is this:- Peter Bruce, you checked the RF output of your DX6 before packing it off to Horizon. Question...Did you check the reading when you got back. I.e. Was the reading any different.

Percy, it's hard to know how many "issues" there are in relation to the number of sets being used. I'm not privy to all incidents that have happened in our club, but I can't recall the last time I saw a model being lost due to radio link issues with any make of gear, and like most clubs Spektrum is the most popular.

I don't deny issues Percy at all, there are issues,

5 per year ? 10 per year?

Who knows

In the price range of the product, I would not pay the " man hours " involved in so few repairs

I too would just fit an RF board or gimble and send it to the customer

It is a small price to pay for the largest product distribution in the market

There are literally thousands of internet pages concerning issues , you pay your money & make your choice.

Horizon are great (or were) and will change an RF board willingly, all after the event tho unfortunately.

I've witnessed to many issues to ever tempt me to buy one.

They look nice in the black tho with that solid aerial, like the grim reaper wink

A reply to Robert Putley1 - who asked if I was able to measure the RF before and after the Spectrum repair.Simple answer is I did however the RF readings were almost the same and not well down on the old Tx reading I had before I sent it into be checked. As the equipment I used measured field strength I felt there was no justification in making an assumption that the readings were conclusive as even an angular difference on orientation of an aerial will give an attenuation to any signal reading obtained using this method - so very unscientific to assume anything.

A new Tx was supplied by Horizon to me which came from Germany and its the newer model fitted with the divergency aerial board (NOT just two aerials soldered to one point on the board )- which can be identified with a different model number.

I have to say I have never flown with the new supplied Tx - I got it ready but just could not face the chance of losing another model again - or TWO in succession as happened to me that day so I now fly with my old Futaba 35 Meg Tx and the Futaba 2.4 module fitted in the back. Had no issues except the extra cost of all the new Rx.

After the on board video evidence (posted here) confirmed my plane was - to my mind "hit" with RF I could not trust the Tx set-up again however, loads of guys fly our site on Spectrum with only a couple of reliable "what happened to that" problems which cant be confirmed so it's my theory my two models which were delivered to the ground one after another could have been the result of a passing ships radar which also has operation on 2.4....

Its a long shot but our site is right on the Thames / Medway estuary so lots of big ships come in and go and their 2.4 radar can pump out a lot of "Watts"- but its only my theory not a fact.

The visual evidence I had off the camera on both planes as they were going in shows the only TWO common factors to both planes was the camera (which I have used on many occasions past and since) and the Tx...

I have since made my choice and have a brand new DX6 - new version - is still in the box with the Lipo battery unconnected.

I can't and won't say anything against Spectrum equipment as I have no justifiable reason and loads in our club fly Spectrum but for me I just felt uncomfortable even with the new Tx.

Horizon did do the right thing and you can't be fairer than that which is something you cant say of many importers.

Hope this helps others. Make sure you see the videos...

Regards Peter

It's widely known that Spektrum equipment has had issues from the beginnng of the 2.4 era and continues to do so as confirmed by reports on various forums, this one included. My view is that a manufacturer who relies on satellite receivers can't be too sure about the reliability of the radio link in the first place!

I own 2 German radio sets which I've had since the advent of 2.4 and neither use satellite receivers, nor have I experienced a model crashing due to signal loss, or even experienced from so called 'brown outs'.

Having said that, I do use Spektrum for small models due to the compatibility with a lot of Horizon Hobbies BNF models.

Not sure how true this is but I have heard that Spektrum and the popular Orange Rx`s do not mix too well for some reason.

I mainly use a JR DSX9 with very many Orange Rx`s plus top of the range JR and Spektrum ones. Never even had a brown out with Orange.

I have always understood that the electronics in JR and Spektrum DSM2 Tx`s is identical. Maybe it is not. Don`t know about DSMX.

Touch wood, I've never had a problem with the old DX8 or the DX9. I use genuine Spektrum Receivers and not the fruit based ones or the 'so cheap sounds too good be true' ones.

Several of my club mates have experienced problems with the old and new DX6 but most are novice flyers, with little experience or, to be honest, knowledge of how a plane flys, i.e. no airspeed, no flight. Many use either park flyer or apple, orange, lemon, strawberry receivers...or whatever they are called. Many buy 'Spektrum' receivers off ebay for half the price of a model shop and they come from Hong Kong. Servo wires are heaped into the fuz and the receiver is loosely aimed at its location and hopefully it stays in.

Those described above tend to be the ones, in my experience, that suffer loss of control using Spektrum, that isn't to say that others adopting better routines haven't.

CB

I can't understand why, for the sake of 1 or 2 hundred pounds more, people are prepared to risk costly models (in time and money), when they could buy one of the reliable radios.

Then they wouldn't have to worry about other user's reliabilty reports or after-service quality.

Edited By ted hughes on 05/03/2017 14:45:50

Hello Peter, Thank you for that. Firstly, I too will not run Spektrum down. Started with Horizon with a coax heli.later, purchased a DX9 as soon as they were on the mkt, too replace the Assan rx's and module I had been using in my ZAP9. The DXp given me sterling service and is a great transmitter.. Whenever I have had a problem with one of their products,it is either (promptly) renewed or repaired,. I find their service a revelation.

After purchasing my DX6, I read about the problems experienced with this transmitter, namely with the ariel. First flight with this tx flying a Flair Astro Hogg,, I lost the signal three times. Only by holding the TX high above my head on each occasion, after which I quickly bought the model in making sure I had the aririel pointing away from the model.

When I sent my tx away I explained that in my opinion, the single arial dsign was the culprit. I was hoping for a new transmitter and was bitterly disappointed that that was not the case. So.... I deduce from what you tell me, that nothing has changed and the underlying problem will still exist.

So i shan't be using this tranny, which i bought for use with my glow powered models, with the intention of using my DX9 for my electric powered models of which I have many more.

Posted by Bill_B on 05/03/2017 13:48:57:

My view is that a manufacturer who relies on satellite receivers can't be too sure about the reliability of the radio link in the first place.

The thinking behind satellite receivers is to improve signal diversity (issues of orientation) given the ease with which all manufacturers 2.4 signals are prone to being blanked by materials that are opaque to RF. In most cases they're not needed and in fact Spektrum's smaller receivers rely on twin 'whiskers' similar to their competitors.

Edited By Cuban8 on 05/03/2017 22:00:06

Posted by Bill_B on 05/03/2017 13:48:57:

My view is that a manufacturer who relies on satellite receivers can't be too sure about the reliability of the radio link in the first place!

My view is that you have no understanding of RF, diversity and it's advantages. I suggest you ask yourself why the top end radios such as Jeti and the late Weatronic use optional satellites.

It's got nothing to do with reliability...