Rocker

Posted by Andrew Ray on 05/03/2017 09:08:36:
Posted by Denis Watkins on 05/03/2017 08:12:36:

Apologies but we all know the reasons for model losses,

Poor installation,

Inadequate power supply,

Loss of model orientation.

It is just easier to blame the gear

And that's exactly why Horizon replaced my 18 month old DX8 with a brand new one.

Funny though that when I changed to a different brand suddenly my installations improved, my power supply got better and I stopped losing model orientation.......

Despite my loss of faith with Spektrum I invested in a DX6i last year for the small indoor models, so far so goodsmiley

I'm still suffering from pilot error thoughwink

Edited By Andrew Ray on 05/03/2017 09:10:56

Spooky that ain't it?

I had exactly the same experience, although I skipped the replacement radio stage and simply changed brands. wink

Edited By pete taylor on 06/03/2017 12:58:17

Edited By pete taylor on 06/03/2017 12:58:47

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 06/03/2017 15:54:31:

Mobile phone systems use diversity Rx`s (not the phones themselves, the Rx amplifiers on the masts) to combat signal reflections from buildings etc., so why should we not use them also?

We do already, all full range receivers have 2 aerials which you should orientate to provide diversity, some even have dual receiving circuits and many offer the option of adding multiple aerials/receivers as required.

Posted by ted hughes on 06/03/2017 17:10:36:
Posted by Phil Green on 06/03/2017 15:43:02:

I wonder, has anyone ever had to have a Futaba RF board replaced?

Futaba don't do faulty radios, so it is not an issue.

We bought some 6ex (FASST) as club trainers which wouldn't buddy and another had his 6EX back to Ripmax twice with range issues, eventually getting a new Tx.

With another mode selected, Martin, the previous setting could be throttle reversed and and will not usually bind with throttle high

I experienced this one time when rebinding to mode 1 for me to test fly as mode 2 set up we didn't have a cable for.

The model bound after I reversed the throttle

Maybe complete nonsense, but it did occur

This thread has become Futaba

Whilst I believe there has never been anything to choose between any of the manufacturers over the years and they have all had their ups and downs. What I do however believe is that to fly successfully you must have total confidence in your kit. If that means sticking to brand x or y that's probably a good plan

What I do feel is not so good is to undermine another modellers confidence in their radio because you have no confidence in the brand yourself. This thread also developed into a Futaba vs Spektrum debate. My thoughts? Well on 2.4 I have both. Futaba 8j and Spektrum DX8 and fly them in equal amounts and have had both for three years both totally perfect However I do consider the spekky seems a higher quality tx. And as far as two tx aerials are concerned probably most useful as a marketing gimmick diversity being achieved at the rx end

The reason for dual antennas and satelittes has absolutely nothing to do with 'marketing gimmicks'.

RF is a black art at the best of times, but consulting the marketing department won't really have crossed the minds of the average radio designer...

Edited By Guvnor on 12/03/2017 16:00:48

Posted by Steve J on 12/03/2017 11:15:04:
Posted by gangster on 12/03/2017 11:07:43:

And as far as two tx aerials are concerned probably most useful as a marketing gimmick diversity being achieved at the rx end

I suspect that Spektrum decided that they couldn't rely on the users (especially beginners) to make a half decent job of positioning the antennas in the model, so they went for dual antennas at the transmitter.

Steve

Spektrum actually did this when they went to a fixed antenna, and on the first Dx6 this was a single vertical antenna so if the Tx was pointing directly at the model then the model would be in the weakest transmission point. I have both a Dx6i (DSM2) and Multiplex M Link, not had a problem with either and the single aerial Rxs from Multiplex work just fine too. Having said that a fellow club member has just had some range issues with a Dx6 (G2) which he bought new 6 months or so ago, but same plane and Rx are fine on his Dx8 (G2) which he bought 2nd hand. He's not got round to sending in his Dx6 for checking yet.

I have used a DSX9 from when they were introduced. I always angle the antenna towards myself so that the only way it could be pointing at the model is if it was behind me. No issues at all except to replace the antenna twice when it cracked at the base, probably caused by sunlight. I cringe when I see newbies with theirs pointing sideways, just asking for trouble.

I still have or have had 2x DX6 DSM1, 2x DSX9, 6EXA, Taranis, TGY 6 and 10ch., JR3810 with an Orange module plus would you believe some Corona Rx`s + Tx module, and the odd ones which came with a quad or heli or whatever and have never had so much as a brown out with any of them. I am not always too careful with the Rx antenna positioning either.

I have had a DX6 for the last two years, the serial number is ,6700,I have had no problems with it at all, according to this forum it has a single vertical "aerial" (I am british !!)

I have removed the back and at the base of the aerial is a small PC board with two horizontal "aerials", total length about the same as the width of the handle.. not going into the handle but covered by the rear cover.

I am of the opinion that the TX has in fact two "aerials", one vertical and one horizontal.