Warbird Replicas Ju88 Night Fighter build

Ady Hayward

Advert

Slow progress, but progress none the less! Having decided that the tail servos can be mounted in the tail I then had to make sure that they were going to be accessible for maintenance etc. This meant mounting them in front of the rear bulkhead.

IMG_6140D.thumb.JPG.75a857fb0f9e63df52c207aafbba3c50.JPG

And at this point all was well and ready to forge ahead with mounting the fixed rear gear. But then I had an idea, why not make it a retracting rear wheel, after all I've used lighter servos for the tail than I was going to use so I can afford the extra weight. Why oh why did I decide to do that? I knew that I had a small retract unit in my parts box but the leg was too long, so that had to be remade, cutting it to length wasn't a problem but trying to cut a circle groove, by hand, in a 2mm wire?? In the end I threaded the end of the wire and put a nyloc nut on it which then meant having to file out some of the insides of the retract unit to allow the nut to pass. Of course then I had to mount it so that it was the correct depth and didn't interfere with the servo pushrods which will go underneath (on top) of it and so that it would also be hidden by the fuselage covering, which also had to be made removable for maintenance etc. Oh boy, maybe I should have stuck to the fixed gear option.

IMG_6141.thumb.JPG.ee0fb38a8a7baca35d9a10c8acc85c2d.JPG

I cut the fuselage foam under deck to give me the 'access hatch' which is attached with a nylon thumbscrew threaded into a cyano hardened balsa block (sitting between the servos in the photo above)

IMG_6142.thumb.JPG.87492a3b6a6454a3f38a8078bf5cc8b9.JPG

With the rear end sorted I could close up the underside of the fuselage

IMG_6144.thumb.JPG.a76a9c478ea49bd97f2aaac37463878d.JPG

Yes, I know Eric and that is exactly what the mind said, keep it simple like I did with the BF110, but then the heart kicked in and the mind was swept along in the ensuing enthusiasm! But I have drawn the line at doors, after all the mains haven't got them!

• 3 weeks later...

Having covered the tail with lam film so that I could glue the tailplane and fin to the fuselage (in order to sand the various fillets etc) I thought that it was time to assemble it again to do another C of G check to make sure I haven't overdone it with the tail mounted servos and retract! Didn't need to worry as it balances exactly as the plan!

IMG_6194.thumb.JPG.4faab0792481f2d21fbc1eb05c1abebf.JPG

IMG_6195.thumb.JPG.265787210dc95926df6f01a061be8ce5.JPG

• Like 7

Would be really interested in the electric and ic AUW's, as most of my models "of a reasonable size" are IC conversions to electric so I end up shifting everything forward and sometimes adding weight to get C of G hence it ends up the same weight. As this is a bit of reverse engineering I wonder what he impact will be? 

39 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Would be really interested in the electric and ic AUW's, as most of my models "of a reasonable size" are IC conversions to electric so I end up shifting everything forward and sometimes adding weight to get C of G hence it ends up the same weight. As this is a bit of reverse engineering I wonder what he impact will be? 

I’m getting towards the end of the build so should be in a position to weigh it all up fairly soon (by the end of the month).

A couple of 'final' build bits completed so that covering of the main surfaces can commence.

Underwing fairing constructed

IMG_6184.thumb.JPG.320cd2ffb68880d62cdb830127d1d10f.JPG

IMG_6185.thumb.JPG.f19e4a713624121604e06fcf4cf33882.JPG

Triangular balsa wet and pre-bent to wing profile.

IMG_6187.thumb.JPG.2a307b37ce652710264ce5d2efef2bda.JPG

Glued and pinned in place.

IMG_6188.thumb.JPG.e5f42342ba80484f4c8a572676dc9c54.JPG

Cowl fixing tabs epoxied in place and the whole of the nacelle section given an initial coat of thinned epoxy.

IMG_6228D.thumb.JPG.4ccbd90a7c801ae86d71368170bd0261.JPG

Just final sanding to do before I start covering with lam film.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...