Warbird Replicas Ju88 Night Fighter build

Ady Hayward

Hi All, not a lot to show at the moment, it is not good painting weather so I have been preparing the electrics.

I recommend this kit to any one who wants an easy build twin the cutting of the foam and the veneering is first class with knife edge flying surfaces. There is also a good range of colour scheme's and if you don't like the German markings some captured aircraft had British and American markings. The back up from Richard is first class .Can't wait to get it up in the air.

Cheers Eric.

Noted Mike , So obviously I am about to receive the P51s soon which are halfway through the cutting process . The pinch point is the Kit cutter who has been overwhelmed by this year's demand .Remember his commitments are not just with me , by a long chalk .

Having said that , the 88 is an off the peg kit that requires relatively low balsa input, so there is no reason why we cant run a short batch off . Lets see if anyone else puts their hand up because if my kit cutters slots are so rare I will only get one shot at it .

Richard

BTW , I dont ever ask for any money commitment , but I would like any prospective buyers stick to their promise if possible .

Hi All, today I managed to undercoat the wing. The motors are wired up and the control rods are in position just the flap servos to locate and connect up. I could fly it in primer but I will wait till the painting is done, as the weather is not good for the next few days I will be able to get on with it. dsc_0679[1064].jpg

Hi Martin, just measured mine it is 75" span, the kit comes with flaps as the wing is foam veneered the flaps and ailerons are ready cut with a with a fine trailing edge, the front and ends have to be capped with supplied balsa. The tail plane rudder fin and fuselage top and rear lower are also foam veneered so not a lot of balsa involved, which could be a good thing due to the present shortage. At this point mine weighs 7lb ,batteries weigh 1.6lb so I should keep it under 10lbs.

Cheers Eric.

Seriously considering adding my name to the list for a kit, great job on the P51 Richard but i prefer to build and fly something a bit out of the ordinary, i have a DH Dragon twin engine laser cut from a plan to build but currently nothing twin in my flyable hanger. Top of my list would be a Jap WW2 twin, something like a KI-48 Lily, lots of character and brilliant range of colour schemes. If there is now enough ``twin` interest any chance of looking at something like that in the future Richard?teeth 2 Jap planes are seriously under modeled and yet have the best range of colour schemes!

Sorry for the thread drift, can someone post me a link to the u/c and motors required for the JU88, i will look into it a bit, if i pull the trigger i won`t back out yes

Hello Martin. There are many problems in the world of model aircraft kit manufacture at the moment . The ARTF onslaught has left a handful of people running cottage industries . This year , we have all been in demand , but then the few kit cutters (including mine) quickly became overwhelmed and at the same time hardware like spinners , retracts and even wheels stopped coming in from china . Finally the Chinese have attempted to buy up the worlds balsa supplies . Based on all of that , it will not be a case of , what do I fancy , more a case of " can anyone make anything ?"

To get the 88s I will have to cajole my hard pressed kit cutter to squeeze me a slot . So in the meantime I am designing a bespoke undercarriage for the 88 , since no commercial versions really do the business , even if you can buy them .

I have the all metal HK versions in mine , which on paper looked great . But working for and aft , they didnt last very long as they are made of very poor metal . My design reproduced through our machine shop should be as tough and compact as you can get , With a replaceable electronics instead of throw away units .

Realistically , if I can get the batch of 88s out , anyone thinking of a twin will be a fool to miss out . Check out the work load and prices of other 72" twins . Oh and finally , compare the weights and consider how that will effect your chances of using it on regular basis .

Richard

BTW , Im not punting for 88 sales . I didnt expect the interest in Erics build and I will have to do some serious buttering up to get the kits cut . Having said that , I am glad that people have woken up to the design because Adrian Hayward and I must have done over three hundred flight between us and enjoyed them all . ju88 flying 2.jpg