Five Years Of Outerzone

Advert

Posted by GONZO on 01/04/2016 08:35:09:

Strange that in the era of ARTF we have never had it so good when it comes to free plans.

Very true, and just as well considering the price of commercially available plans

Back in the day I often ordered plans for no other reason than out of interest or on a whim, just for the pleasure of perusing them, and the cost of doing that was very reasonable. Absolutely zero chance of that these days - it would have to be 101% nailed on that I was definitely going to build it

• 8 months later...

I have built 5 planes from plans downloaded from outerzone,excellent resource I think, also spend a lot of time perusing the site and this forum, only just joined this forum though I have been lurking for some time.Some excellent information and help with stuff when needed .Although I did once send a thank you to them for downloading the jr 60 plan and somebody emailed me and chided me for using carbon fibre to build a classic.which I ignored. I'm sure Albert E Hatful would have used it had it been available. Any way no negativity intended fantastic site spend as much time on there as on this site from now on will donate 10 dollars every time I download as I wouldn't like to lose this resource long may they continue. would love to build a flying boat someday the tern would be nice and a good challenge to build electric and rc cheers Vince

Outerzone is a very good source for plans. However websites seem to disappear without warning ( remember the Trenton club site with all those aerobatic plans which just disappeared? ) So if you have any plans you intend to build sometime download them now and save to a disc or memory stick just in case.

Edited By kc on 28/12/2016 15:41:19

It's a fantastic resource and I'm grateful to the owner/administrator for making it available and to all those who contribute as well.

I agree with kc re downloading - spreading them far and wide is the best way to ensure future availability.

Some of the plans are surprisingly 'up to date' and I wonder if the original publishers will eventually make an issue of it!

Steve is a really nice, helpful guy and I know for a fact that it does NOT make a profit. The advertising doesn't cover the costs of overheads. The purpose of Outerzone is to provide the great resource it is and this in turn is helpful to Steve, so it is a win-win situation. If plans are commercially available Steve usually pulls them from the list. The grey area is regarding plans that were originally given away "free". As Outerzone distributes plans freely, then there should be no problem over copyright as no profit is made and the original designers are always acknowledged. As are the people who donate the plans.

It's the free plan providers who offer to print them for you (at a price) who are breaking the law.

• 4 months later...

Chris, firstly, concerning Outerzone "being down". This happens occasionally, but only for a few minutes. I think it must be something to do with site admin or updating...

Secondly, respectfully, do you "know what you're doing" concerning downloading and printing?
There are a few plans on Outerzone that are "reduced format", but not many, very few indeed in fact.
When viewing the pdf on the screen, make sure the scale is "100%".

Your printers don't sound very switched on to me... Did they really think you looked for a printing company to print one A4 page?

If you have your own A4 printer, it's dead easy to "tile print", which prints the plan full size, over the appropriate number of sheets, which are then easy to assemble to obtain a buildable plan...

Edited By brokenenglish on 24/05/2017 21:42:01

In answer to the questions - no I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to downloading and printing!!! I could get the plan from fleabag from the states, but would rather not pay the best part of £20 on postage.... The plan I was looking at was the royal B17 which I gather is out of production nowadays. I'm not particularly tech savvy so was hoping it would be a simple job of pressing 'download' then emailing the file through to the printers.. I'm fairly sure that somewhere along the line there's something I have (or haven't) done, just can't figure out what that is yet...

Cheers

Chris

I don't think there is much you could have done wrong Chris. I just click 'download' and the file opens in Acrobat Reader. I use a Mac but I can't see it would be any different for PC users. I click on 'download to computer' and it opened at 9.87%, so I can see the whole plan on my laptop screen. By selecting 100% you can see the plan full size but you have to scroll down and across to view it all in detail, if you see what I mean. I think it is a case of your printers not understanding what you wanted! I use these people for printing plans. They are in Portslade, W Sussex, I live quite locally but give Nigel a ring and ask him what he would charge to post you the printed plan. If the plan is folded I doubt it would be too expensive. As brokenenglish says, tile print if all else fails.

Thanks for all the advice folks - ended up going into the printers the other day, rather than trying to explain it over the phone. Turns out the Person I had spoken to had nothing to do with the printing department (it was an office supply store!!) - spoke to the right people and it certainly looks lke it will print full size....... Might find the plan gets smuggled in when swmbo is out!!!!wink

Chris