Le Tour de France...2016

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 11/07/2016 23:06:49:

Hi Ernie, family out here at present so couldn't get across to see a stage this year. Just a tad envious....smile

When's a team going to take Sky on, then? Not surprised Froomy denied Majka those mountain points the other day - if they're not going to put the work in, they shouldn't expect freebies!

Pete

Sagan just gave the rest of the riders in the break the evil eye and got his intermediate sprint points to put just one behind Cav for the maillot vert. He'd sat in most of the time then dropped back to the chasers in the GC group. That part of the route has some happy memories for us when we rode up a track from Llavorsi into Andorra by the back door

Ernie you're doing well. We spent most of June in France and the weather was much like it was here and we ended up doing more reading than cycling. The farthest south we got was the Morvan national park but the camp site owner said the everywhere had been wet for weeks. Everyone was parked on the hard tracks because he wouldn't let anyone drive on the grass pitches. Mind you, 41 C is taking it too far!

Geoff

After the farce of the Flame Rouge 'spider collapsing on Adam Yates even more drama today on what is always a spectacular stage - the Ventoux! The race leader crashing into the back of a motor cycle which had to stop because of ridiculous numbers of spectators and then have his bike wrecked by another motor cycle following on! Froome first pushed his useless bike and then abandoned it and took up running! That is not easy with racing shoes which usually have big cleats on the bottom.

Even more galling he had attacked the group of GC favourites with Porte and Mollema and was gaining time. Mollema managed to restart without losing too much time and eventually the organisers awarded the same time to all 3 affected riders so Froome remains in yellow!

Sadly this fiasco seesm to have detracted from the magnificent win by Thomas de Gendt, who takes the climber's jersey as well.

Geoff

On reflexion I think yesterday stage to Mont Ventoux was inevitable due to moving the finishing line down the mountain because of the high 60 mph wind and the concerns over safety. All the spectators up there had to be dispersed further down the mountain with the resulting caotic scenes we all witnessed. I also believe yesterdays events have had an effect on the whole classification as the key players were loosing time on the yellow jersey.

Todays race of truth I believe will make up for yesterday, mindst?

Looking forward to the worlds greatest free sporting event

Owdlad

Because of the nature of the tour, and all bicycle road racing, incidents like this will of course happen. Today, the wee Columbian could have a tree fall on him, or whatever.

Riders do seem to accept all these hazards, with a pretty cool attitude, except Bernard Hinault, who after the finish on a col, rode down the road, pinpointed a hooligan, and handed him over to the flics

Vive la France

ernie

Squeaky bum time for Froome today, but a brilliant recovery on Thomas' bike!!. Great stage. For me however, Froome has been awesome BUT I'm blown away with Wout Poels!!.. He for me has been THE rider of this years tour. On hand again today to take Froome back, been a diesel launchpad for Chris all the way through..simply...brilliant

Posted by Owdlad on 22/07/2016 20:02:25:

I think froome is injured more than he's letting on

Wozzup Wi Im , owdlad ?

Did the chase motorbike blow a plug out that hit Him in the Nadgers ?

Got to have a Spanish inquisition on this one !

* Wanton Sarcasm reported on myself , by myself : save thee the trouble. old luv

I feel yet some more Jankers in the pipeline .

God save the Queen and you will never take me alive Snowdrop .

P

Edited By Peter Android on 22/07/2016 20:28:42

Posted by Peter Android on 22/07/2016 20:20:28:

I feel yet some more Jankers in the pipeline .

Well, the mods haven't found any reason to impose any sort of Jankers so far so it must be self-imposed, for whatever reason.....face 4

However, an attempt to bait another member may rouse them to action.....face 8

Pete

Nay lad tha wint get mi guin am too wise to be baited mun.

Reading Cadel Evans autobiography something simular happened the year before he won the tour. He fell off on a downhill section and if memory serves me right he'd broken his collar bone. He got back on his bike (stern faced & expressionless ) without moving his lips he told his team manager he'd broken his collar bone. He didn't want the TV cameras pick up by lip reading his problem so that his oponents could attack. He finished the stage but the next day he retired from the tour

I certainly hope that this isn't the case with Froome

Edited By Owdlad on 23/07/2016 01:09:12

Those boys are tough. The highlights on itv 4 are great. One of the pundits on Friday night commented that Froome did a basic error by crossing a wet white line. In my motorcycling days there were two horrors on the road, a wet white line and a wet drain cover.

Posted by cymaz on 23/07/2016 06:17:55:

Those boys are tough. The highlights on itv 4 are great. One of the pundits on Friday night commented that Froome did a basic error by crossing a wet white line. In my motorcycling days there were two horrors on the road, a wet white line and a wet drain cover.

Even worse, Back in the 50s there were some roads that had what looked lke a woodblock surface (Correct me if I am wrong)

Came to one of those on a junction one wet day. I wanted to go one way, the bike wanted to go the other way. The bike tossed me for it...the bike won!!

At least I wasn't hurt!!

Smoke on the Water ? I do enjoy Deep Purple

Take a seat , relax and sip a nice Pastiche ........

T 'Owdlad and I go back a few years , are you aroused Sam ?

Choose yer weapon Old Luv.

If you bring some burgers fer tomorrow's bash . I will bring the sausages .

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Think you just got Gotcha'd Mr B .cheeky

Cheers.

* Owlad is quite accomplished on a velocipede though.

My wife and I were on the edge of our seats this pm watching the greasy descents hoping Froome didn't get caught out a second time. But who have thought Izaguirre would put 42 seconds into ace descender Nibali to win the stage. When Nibbles, Pantano (why do I always try to write Pantini?) and Izaguirre were together at the top of the last climb I was sure the stage would go to Nibali but the winner was taking no prisoners and somehow survived his crazy speed.

I wasn't too worried about the destination of the yellow jersey but I was hoping Adam Yates would be able to make up a bit of time on Quintana and get a podium place. Never the less his must be one of the rides of the Tour considering he got his 4th place with very little team support. I thought his 10 second fine for a supposed hand sling early on the stage and which had zero effect on his finishing position a bit harsh. Not quite as bad as Nibali's hanging on to the team car as it dragged him up a climb in last year's Giro (IIRC?)

Now it's all over bar the shouting tomorrow. So Gripel, Kittel or Coultard for the win on the Champs?

Geoff

Bonjour.....What awful weather, Way too hot to go flying.

France is euphoric that the wee guy Bardet won a stage in grand style and is going to be on the podium. And Chris Froome has been an excellent ambassador for the UK...........Felicitations

and Coquard for the champs

ernie