rc plane crash - 68% pitts challenger robbie skipton at raf cosford

peter coxon

A real shame, it was a lovely model. I don't think that is going to buff out!

Reading the video description, apparently a plug on one of the rear cylinders found it's way out on a previous pass, the model lost power and went in. Even so it is difficult to see what happened from that video as it doesn't show the runup to the crash - I know Pitts do tend to glide like bricks, but it seems to have come in from a height that should have allowed at least a wings level emergency put down even if it were downwind. I guess he must have not realised he had an engine issue and carried on with his routine, only for the engine to fail part way through a manoeuvre.

Edited By MattyB on 18/07/2016 15:52:50

Saw his displays on Saturday and Sunday but I'm pleased that I missed the accident flight.

I saw Robbie on Saturday and asked him where the blue monster pilot was that used to be in the cockpit.
He told me that he took it out as it weighed three pounds.....see what happens without a pilot!

Seriously though, crying shame to total a super aircraft. I hope Robbie and his dad build another.

Posted by Barryorbik on 18/07/2016 20:55:53:

Terrible to see such a lovely aircraft destroyed but does anyone know the cause?

and does it really say 'skip' on the aircraft piece being carried to the trailer in the still photograph at the end of the video.

The cause was a spark plug coming loose and the engine dying.

Great shame, but its one of the pitfalls of the hobby unfortunately...those that have and those that will. Robbie will have another monster aerobatic plane in the air soon enough!

You must have read more onto the short clip of the pilot than me Owdlad. How could you ascertain that the pilot looks nervous on the sticks? The only obvious thing was the guy speaking in his left ear which was probably a distraction. The pilot seemed perfectly fine in the fraction of the clip he was shown. Whilst you are entitled to a view if we must be armchair experts can we back it up with something more tangible.

The pilot looks nervous............flying in front of paying spectators effects your mindset and it can effect your performance for good or bad.

Reason for the crash........ loose spark plug causing the engine to die.

I'm sorry but that's pilot error due to lack of effective maintenance. Flying a 60+% scale monster with a 400cc motor up front in front of 1000s of spectators all reliant on a radio signal is a recipe for disaster and proper safety measures should be in place

Before every flight a thorough pre-flight maintenance check should be carried out.....every last nut & bolt should be checked over including the engine. Spark plugs don't suddenly become loose.

I will stand by what I say......pilot error... let's hope that people learn lessons from his miss fortune.

I hope the LMA are conducting an accident investigation to prevent such occurrence from happening again and don't brush this crash under the carpet which I suspect will happen.

Feel for the fella, dead stick down wind in that awkward spot, he looked like he thought about a turn into wind, opted for nose down to get some air speed and nearly pulled it off, wing dropped about 5ft...just unlucky..yards and yards away from spectators...yes I'm all for maintenance/checks etc.. But I think you are being a bit harsh with this one..BTW..I'm not into or impressed by the big is better crew, I prefer a nice mid sized model flown brilliantly, like back in the day, so I'm not wide eyed follower of the modern trend...just in this instance ...stuff happens..