3 channel question

trebor

I've just had an old 3 channel plane given me and I can't decide which stick to program the rudder to in mode 2. Do I leave it where it is normally on the left stick with the throttle or do I use the aileron position up which leaves the throttle by itself . I haven't flown without ailerons before and I don't want to pick up any bad habits. What's best ?

Advert

I had the same question when setting up a powered glider with only rudder, elevator, and throttle. As you are using Mode 2 I suggest you use the left stick only for throttle, and use the right stick for elevator and rudder. This setup is more natural if you are used to aileron-equipped models.
Roger

Posted by Peter Miller on 24/07/2016 09:00:56:
Posted by McG 6969 on 24/07/2016 08:48:35:

I guess one could connect the rudder to the AIL channel as advised & also have a 100% mix with the RUD channel for some kind of 'both thumbs redundancy'. Or is this very 'stupid'? blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Mix Control

WHY?

It's not in the least bit stupid (or maybe it's just me? disgust). I've done it a few times on REM models as my old brain couldn't get out of the habit of steering with my left thumb when on the ground and my right thumb when in the air.

Back in the 70s we all learnt to fly 3-channel with rudder on the right. You then transitioned to 4 channels and had to remember to use the left-hand stick to steer on the ground. So I'd certainly agree with the answers so far.

I'd also agree with Chris's (McG 6969) suggestion of a mix that allows the rudder to be controlled from the left-hand stick as well. On the rare occasions that I fly somebody's 3 channel model I sometimes find myself instinctively steering on the ground with the rudder stick and wondering why nothing is happening!

I guess one could connect the rudder to the AIL channel as advised & also have a 100% mix with the RUD channel for some kind of 'both thumbs redundancy'. Or is this very 'stupid'? blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

Good idea . That way if things go wrong and you revert to old habits or panic mode you will still have some control instead of bending a perfectly good rudder stick with no response smiley.

Hakuna matata

Chris

Not stupid at all, unless I'm stupid too (please don't answer that!). I've always mixed 100% rudder and aileron on 3 channel models ever since I've had transmitters with the facilities to do it.

It seems the sensible thing to do, then you have the option as to which stick you use to steer.

Geoff

Hakuna matata

Chris

I do this on my 3 channel models and it works just fine.smiley