Flair products

Advert

It's a pity if Flair have totally stopped trading. Their range of sports scale biplanes are/were excellent models which fly really well. Thankfully, DB Sport and Scale are still producing. I've just bought a Cirrus Moth kit and a quick look in the tightly packed box made my fingers twitch and reach for the glue

I'm sure there are enough people who like to build as well as fly to keep the kit market going. I'm a very average builder who wouldn't feel confident to undertake some of the superb scratch builds I see but a complete kit takes away a lot of the anxiety.

So lets hope we can continue to 'Fly with Flair'.

Geoff

I spoke to Flair some months ago and understand that they were in the process of retooling and remanufacturing some kits possibly for the latter part of the year. The puppeteer being one of them.

Andy Green's advice hopefully will work. I bought one on BMFA classified. Best of luck.

At my club's informal 'scale day' this Sunday just gone, there must have been half a dozen Flair scout models doing their stuff including three Puppeteers doing their impression of a mini-dawn patrol display. Lots of interest in the models and plenty of members expressing an interest in building something. A viable market for Flair kits must surely exist.

A couple of weeks ago I spoke to the very nice chap at Flair about a spare cowl for my Maggi. They should be back in stock soon. He mentioned that his die cutter is getting past its best, so is looking to cut the kit ribs etc with a laser setup. Sounds to me that Flair is not dead in the water yet! smiley

Thankyou for your response, Iam actually looking for something to build this coming winter to keep me out of mischief and i fancied a Pup. DB sport,scale have a 80inch span which is a bit to big and a 40inch span which is a bit too small. I think i will turn my attention to the 58inch Tiger Moth from DB which is about the right size and can be converted to electric.

I can thoroughly recommend the DB 58" Tiger Moth as an electric conversion. I've completed over 30 flights with mine since I finished it a few months ago (actually it's still not finished I can think of a few more minor scale details to add ). It gets taken to the field every time and it rarely doesn't get a flight. I think one of its advantages is that it's so easy to rig and takes little more time than a monoplane. It also copes with a bit of wind. I usually fly for around 8 minutes and there's still usually 40% left in the 4S 4000 mAH LiPo.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff for your comments. So it does not take long to rig the Tiger moth for flight, This was one of my main concerns and if it could handle a slight breeze as it always seems to be windy these days. I have a small van so i was hoping i could transport it all ready assembled but i have a 55inch pattern ship and that only just goes in so i think the Tiger Moth might be a struggle. Best regards glen

Seems like Db sport,scale are a top class manufacturer and i have my eye on the Tiger moth but i have seen a pup around 54 inch wingspan which i think i can get in my van fully rigged. The kit is from Balsa usa and i was wondering if any one can give their thoughts on quality please.

Anybody had experience with the DB Tripehound which is a semi scale Fokker regarding building and flying.This is the plan, pack and being a tri-plane would certainly keep me occupied.

Edited By bees on 21/08/2016 21:29:01

Hi bees, i still have a DB Tripehound still to be refurbished. I flew it back in 1993 but the power plant was way too much for it, then i put a Saito 80 in when i did the maiden it went vertical :-0. 1/4 throttle was all that was needed to fly with the Saito. But i also discovered that i had introduced a warp it the wings when covering so after 13 flights i retired her for refurbisment no crashes by the way but very prone to noseing over if not v careful.

Whilst in the air and reasonable trimmed she flew really nice and certainly looked the part. When i get round to it i will finish the covering being nylon and dope this time as last time it was covered in Solartex which i didn't do very well in hindsight..

Just about any model can be electrified and most up to about 1.5 metres/60" fairly easily as far as power/endurance goes. The main difficulty I've found that can arise is providing for easy battery replacement.

The first model I converted from glow to electric was my plan built Limbo Dancer which had had both an MDS 38 (not as bad as all that ) and lastly a Super Tigre 34. It flies really well on 4S but the bind is that I have to remove the banded on wing to replace the battery each flight. The fact that the esc is fitted outside the fuselage between the undercarriage legs is less of a problem and make it easy to connect the battery after the wing is fitted.

I don't think I'll ever build another model with a glow engine. The next to take to the air (perhaps only briefly) will be an electrified Ballerina that needed quite a lot of change from Peter Miller's design to make the battery easily accessible.

Geoff