The Death Of The English Language As We Know It.

David Davis

I can see this thread running for a long time, perhaps even long enough for our language to "evolve" even further.

Pete I have to agree "cool" can mean so much even "hot" the two seem to be interchangeable?

I think what really counts is that despite our often "faux pas" in use of language is that we understand each other.

Would we rather revert to "something vexes thee" or stay with " boy you're grumpy today" on another note how has our language evolved between continents and why? Canada, America, Australia all colonised by England but all with different dialects, in fact dialect/accent can change from county to county state to state even village to village town to town, why and how is a question that maybe cannot be answered.

Just throwing it out there. cheeky

Advert

Why do most English people add an "r" to the end when say words like law, saw, flaw etc but omit the "r" from girl, iron, operator etc.
We Scots have no such problem in pronunciation. wink 2

Also I find it quite amusing to hear many English footballers, pundits & managers pronouncing the "th" as an "f" in words like "three" & "with", whilst almost all of their foreign colleagues playing or working in England pronounce the "th" correctly.

Pat, you definitely have a NE England accent but perfectly understandable. I once met a Durham miner on a motor cycle trial down in Cornwall. I'll never forget his name - Gary Cooper Even when he was trying to speak clearly so we Derbyshire lads could understand - we mostly couldn't so I have every sympathy for your French lecturers.

Geoff

Posted by PatMc on 22/10/2016 21:42:13:

I was once on a training course at an IBM establishment in Paris with 7 other BT people, two from Matlock, one from Birmingham, one from London, myself & my mate Charlie from Newcastle. The instructors & lecturers were all French but spoke decent english, as did almost all of the IBM staff.
The only person that anyone had any difficulty understanding was Charlie who had the habit of speaking quite fast with a broad Geordie accent, in fact I spent a lot of time as his translator. teeth 2

That should be 5 other BT people. blush

Geoff, I've now lived in Geordieland for nearly 60 years.

I was born and brought up in Edinburgh, when I was 16 my family moved to Dundee & we stayed there for just over two years before moving to NE England.
I struggled for months trying to understand the Dundonian dialect yet when we moved to Tyneside had no problem from day one.

OTOH, in Ashington, a few miles north of the Tyne, I once stopped and asked an old lady in directions. She replied in pure "Pitmatic" - completely incomprehensible to the uninitiated - though I can speak it quite fluently now myself. teeth 2

I was watching Sebastian Vettel being interviewed a couple of weeks ago. The interviewer asked the German a question in Italian and he answered in English. Nico Rosberg, Nico Hulkenberg and the Fernando Alonso all speak several languages, far more than Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton and Jolyon Palmer.

You can't fault these European F1 drivers for their linguistic skills....for sure!

Posted by kevin b on 22/10/2016 14:53:54:

Why all the fuss ?

In another 100 years everybody will be speaking Chinese anyway. devil

Mandarin actually

& I believe it may already be the world's widest spoken language, But not the most common language of international trade which may well be English

Edited By Sam Longley on 23/10/2016 08:31:16

Posted by IanR on 22/10/2016 11:28:50:

Its all down to the individual. Or is it up to? Going forward, we'll see. Or in future. Perhaps we'll step up to the plate and start playing baseball. The oldest ones that I can think of, that woman Laura Norder using a fine toothcomb, or is it a fine-tooth comb. I mean, when someone says "fine toothcomb" have they never stopped to consider what the hell a toothcomb actually is?

Ian

If, as I suspect, it is a comb made from teeth then it should be "fine pitch tooth comb."

As in:-

fine pitch- spacing of teeth, I suppose one could have- finely spaced

Tooth - made from the tooth of some mammal

Comb- what it is

Over time someone has decided to drop the "pitch", but in any event the words should not be connected or hyphenated

Ending a sentence with a preposition.

Using the incorrect tense in a sentence.

Using a singular verb for a plural subject.

So, that should keep the well bubbling a bit more!

(The use of "So". Well, I'm glad you asked me that question! "So" seems to have replaced "Well" as a verbal tick before answering. The one I like, really, is the Australian saying "Look, it's like this.... Just sounds so much more definitive than Well....)

I believe Robert Peston speaks as he does either because he hasn't prepared properly and is giving himself time to think or because he thinks people are interested in what he is saying so he spins it out to try and make himself sound important. Either way, the arrogant pig gets right up my nose and I refuse to listen to his performing.

I_a_n

Peter, don't get me started on American 'English'! smile o

Why do they often miss out the preposition when stating when something happened? Eg. "Trump said something stupid in a speech he gave Tuesday". What happened to "on Tuesday"?

However I am amused at one of their strange assaults on our language. Whilst they generally like to shorten words, eg. color, labor, traveling (only one "l" ), why do they reject the sensible word "burgled" and replaced it with "burglarized"?

Back to British English, the expression "can I get" that was mentioned earlier does annoy me more that it probably should. I'm sure I was ever working in a café and somebody said "Can I get a cup of tea?" I'd find it very difficult not to reply, "No, I'll get one for you".

Or maybe I'm just being a grumpy old git today as I didn't go flying! sad

Edited By John Privett on 23/10/2016 17:08:56

I believe that, at some point, the Americans actually officially changed the spelling of certain words i.e. color for colour etc. I don't know the history of this but, if it is true, then perhaps they made other changes, also, and allowed the missing preposition and burglarized, and so on.

Personally, I don't mind Americans speaking americanese. What I dislike is British lads and lasses stepping up to the plate et al. What would be wrong with stepping up to the crease? It would of had exactly the same meaning, innit?

Ian

Two things that annoy me about the use of the English language when I'm watching "Judge Judy". Is this a contradiction of terms ?

The number of people who do not know the difference between "to borrow " and "to lend " ,e.g " I borrowed him some money " instead of " I loaned him some money " .

The use of " AKS " instead of " ASK ".