LiPo Storage

Ross McWhirter

Advert

Posted by Percy Verance on 31/10/2016 07:01:43:

Storage? Don't you fly in Winter Ross?

Our merry bunch have a traditional Boxing Day fly. A couple of extra layers and lined Winter trousers helps.......

you need am IC motor for that. Lipo's don't like the cold wink

Edited By Phil 9 on 31/10/2016 07:08:52

Somehow I think that I like the cold less than the lipos The lipos will just have to put up with it . Whilst I do love playing around with ic motors in the summer I have a feeling that I will take the line of least resistance and the leccy models will be used more in the winter

I fly all through the winter and the last 3-4 winters that has been electric powered flying mainly (or evenly, more recently, exclusively electric). I've flown with Lipos down to -4C. While they were a little "off-peak" and endurance was slightly reduced, I agree with Gangster - I think the effect of the low temperature on me was much greater then on the Lipos!!

Yes - a good set of thermals is the order of the day and lashings of hot coffee! Two sets of gloves - inners without fingers for actual flying and normal outers for the times in between.

BEB

Build yourself a heated storage box for the Lipos and you can fly all winter without reduced performance. I know some people have used the GT Power tyre warmer

http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=C-GTPW&Category=040-100

as a basis for the elements and controller for their heater boxes, but I just used carbon tow as heater elements and a simple thermostat kit.

Dick

I bought a heated bag from HK a few years ago which works fine but unless the batteries have got very cold I usually just fit and fly. Some EDFs are marginal on launch in freezing temperatures so I either heat the batteries or struggle into the air where after half a minute or so, things warm up sufficiently to let the taps open fully...

I can't understand people putting their models away when the colder weather arrives - we often get excellent flying conditions in the winter - and none better than those typically lovely sunny days after a snowfall...get the skis/floats on or take your hand launched models for some terrific fun!

Posted by Martin Harris on 31/10/2016 10:58:04:

I can't understand people putting their models away when the colder weather arrives - we often get excellent flying conditions in the winter - and none better than those typically lovely sunny days after a snowfall...get the skis/floats on or take your hand launched models for some terrific fun!

There are practical limitations that make it more effort in winter. I have never flown through winter before because the track to the strip became a quagmire - not possible to get there without a 4x4.

Happily, this year, I'm with a new club... so looking forward to my first 'winter of content'!