2017 BMFA rates

Cuban8

Good news........BMFA website announces no change to the subs for next year.yes

Mind you, if they had gone up by a couple of quid and knowing the mixed feelings about the NFC and worry in many quarters over its funding, I presume the powers that be decided to let sleeping dogs lie.laugh

Advert

Judging by the amount of work they are undertaking to help shape the EASA regs with the other national model flying bodies across Europe I guess the NFC may have taken a bit of a back burner. I personally would have supported a rise this year to build some additional funds to help with potential future lobbying and legal fees - getting the best result possible regarding from the EU probably requires more resources than the BMFA or any of their sister organisations across Europe currently have at their disposal.

ps - Looks like the EMFU has now officially been formed with the BMFA and LMA both actively involved...

Edited By MattyB on 20/11/2016 02:14:18

Posted by kc on 20/11/2016 08:38:30:

EMFU ! Why didn't they think before they chose such an unfortunate choice of initials!

I think that's what EASA thinks of european modellers. Good news about the subs ,though, I would have paid extra to have my model flying future secure.

Edited By cymaz on 20/11/2016 08:45:38

Edited By cymaz on 20/11/2016 08:46:24

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 20/11/2016 08:52:51:

There's clearly a lot of background spadework been going on here. Unity is what it's all about from the influence point of view, top marks to BMFA for the way they have handled this so far.

Mmm,....well personally I thnk FAI and EAS, along with DMFV (Deutsche ModellFlieger Verband, the German equivalent of BMFA), had rather more to do with it! Indeed DMFV's response was in my view a model of how it should be done, balanced, tightly argued, and well informed. In contrast what we got from BMFA was the ridiculous "We're all doomed" headline from Phipps which did little more than trigger a load of deeply unhelpful xenophonic emails. I was, and remain, not impressed.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/11/2016 09:56:33

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/11/2016 09:55:43:

There's clearly a lot of background spadework been going on here. Unity is what it's all about from the influence point of view, top marks to BMFA for the way they have handled this so far.

Mmm,....well personally I thnk FAI and EAS, along with DMFV (Deutsche ModellFlieger Verband, the German equivalent of BMFA), had rather more to do with it! Indeed DMFV's response was in my view a model of how it should be done, balanced, tightly argued, and well informed. In contrast what we got from BMFA was the ridiculous "We're all doomed" headline from Phipps which did little more than trigger a load of deeply unhelpful xenophonic emails. I was, and remain, not impressed.

BEB

Where have you seen the response from the BMFA to EASA all I can find is the BMFA updates to members. Note DMFVs response had accepted that non-DMFV members might have to register elsewhere and that flying would take place at permitted locations, so if you weren't a DMFV member or flew at a non approved site you'd have to deal with the authorities on your own.

I understand that the e-mails to EASA (and mine was certainly not xenophobic), was one of the factors causing EASA to pause and further consult with us.

Posted by MattyB on 20/11/2016 02:09:01:

Judging by the amount of work they are undertaking to help shape the EASA regs with the other national model flying bodies across Europe I guess the NFC may have taken a bit of a back burner. I personally would have supported a rise this year to build some additional funds to help with potential future lobbying and legal fees - getting the best result possible regarding from the EU probably requires more resources than the BMFA or any of their sister organisations across Europe currently have at their disposal.

ps - Looks like the EMFU has now officially been formed with the BMFA and LMA both actively involved...

Edited By MattyB on 20/11/2016 02:14:18

I'm told that quite a lot of information about the NFC and its progress was disseminated at the AGM - as different people are no doubt leading both this and the response to the EASA proposals, I can't immediately see why they cannot be administered concurrently.

We have funds to fight for our cause, Treasurer proposed no rise was needed the meeting agreed with him.

NFC, we've had updates it's a work in progress.

Xenophobia BEB, yep i agree but i think we've had that in place since the first "Drone" thread.

EMFU ? not sure which bit you don't like, if it's the flightless bird well where's your sense of humour, if it's other letters i'm saying nowt i'll get modded.

Fighting fund ? get one started if you feel strongly, i'll put in a £10 if you do, good luck with the apathy though.

John

BEB

Clearly everyone is permitted there opinion on any matter and if you remain unimpressed that is a matter for you, however as a moderator one would hope you would refrain from posting as fact, things which are completely innacurate and akin to the worst excesses of the gutter press. You should serious consider retracting the last sentence of your post. What the statement from the BMFA CEO did was trigger loads of well written and well reasoned comments to EASA that hammered home to them how wrong they had gotten things they did a great deal to make EASA go away and look again at the issue. That is what EASA actually said! They did get a small number of uncivil emails but to suggest it was a load of deeply unhelpful xenophobic emails is quite simply nonsense.

It is however pleasing that you were impressed with the Europe Air Sports response, which was led by the EAS technical expert for model aircraft flying, who happens to be the individual you incorrectly go on to critisise later in your post, the BMFE CEO David Phipps.

I'd happily pay £40 a year an increase of a whole £7!! If it helps the association be it for the NFC or to assist in working on the EASA issue i'm not fussed!

Having been to the BMFA office on a couple of occasions and seen what and how they do things I have no issues with any of the officers or the organisation as a whole. yes

CB

BEB, the article written in the BMFA rag did give that impression some what .

However, this was written by D Phipps on the Petition EASA rules thread...not exactly scare mongering stuff.

BTW, shouldn't we be talking about the BMFA insurance rates for 2017.....now getting side tracked

Edited By cymaz on 20/11/2016 16:08:38

Edited By cymaz on 20/11/2016 16:09:58

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 20/11/2016 15:11:24:

BEB

Clearly everyone is permitted there opinion on any matter and if you remain unimpressed that is a matter for you, however as a moderator one would hope you would refrain from posting as fact, things which are completely innacurate and akin to the worst excesses of the gutter press. You should serious consider retracting the last sentence of your post. What the statement from the BMFA CEO did was trigger loads of well written and well reasoned comments to EASA that hammered home to them how wrong they had gotten things they did a great deal to make EASA go away and look again at the issue. That is what EASA actually said! They did get a small number of uncivil emails but to suggest it was a load of deeply unhelpful xenophobic emails is quite simply nonsense.

It is however pleasing that you were impressed with the Europe Air Sports response, which was led by the EAS technical expert for model aircraft flying, who happens to be the individual you incorrectly go on to critisise later in your post, the BMFE CEO David Phipps.

Oh - I've obviously touched a nerve! wink 2 Too close?

Well - first of all read the first sentence of my post Andy - it says, "Mmm,....well personally I thnk FAI and EAS....," excuse the typo but I think its pretty clear that I am expressing my opinion - to which (moderator or not) I am entitled. So I was NOT "posting as fact, things which are completely innacurate and akin to the worst excesses of the gutter press" which you incorrectly claim.

So the truth is that its YOU who are making inaccurate and unformed claims about what I wrote. I look forward to your apology! And I stand by what I said - it remains my opinion.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/11/2016 20:36:31

Interesting to see the comments volunteering large increases in subscriptions. I shudder to imagine some of the comments if rates had gone up to £40! I'm sure that there would have been accusations of all sorts of funding the NFC by the back door and I commend the BMFA for managing their resources effectively over the last 12 months. As a sceptic on the viability of buying a site, I'm really pleased that a much smaller commitment has enabled the organisation to move ahead and run with a facility which can test the concept and might even pave the way for more significant investment in the long term if the model works.

The response to the EASA threat was an example of grabbing attention to a clear threat to the hobby, with a call to members to make a practical (and it seems very useful) response. I'm now very happy that I made my comments to EASA and pleased that they may have contributed to a positive result.

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/11/2016 23:06:49

Manny Williamson and Dave Phipps recently came to our club night to give a presentation and Q&A session. It seemed to me that all attendees were impressed by their reasoned approach and dedicated work on both the NFC and EASA. I am certainly convinced that we are in safe hands and I am grateful for the efforts being made by the BMFA on our behalf.

BEB

BEB - you may not know this but Dave Phipps drafted the responses for EAS and the FAI and has been invited to brief EASA further this Monday. I think that you have both taken the thread off the original OP and have done Dave a grave injustice. You have made it quite clear in a number of posts that you are anti BMFA. So be it. But please do give credit where credit is due or, if that's too much, then please don't run down Dave Phipps when his actions have been widely accepted and adopted by EAS and the FAI. If some people have been xenophobic it is not Dave's fault. The last time I checked, it is a free country and you can express your views freely so don't blame the Dave for the way others have reacted.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/11/2016 20:35:46:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 20/11/2016 15:11:24:

BEB

Oh - I've obviously touched a nerve! wink 2 Too close?

Well - first of all read the first sentence of my post Andy - it says, "Mmm,....well personally I thnk FAI and EAS....," excuse the typo but I think its pretty clear that I am expressing my opinion - to which (moderator or not) I am entitled. So I was NOT "posting as fact, things which are completely innacurate and akin to the worst excesses of the gutter press" which you incorrectly claim.

So the truth is that its YOU who are making inaccurate and unformed claims about what I wrote. I look forward to your apology! And I stand by what I said - it remains my opinion.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/11/2016 20:36:31

Touched a nerve? Not at all! Too close? very far from it.

Your post contained a mixture of opinion and elemments posted as fact. I have no problem at all with anyone posting opinion, we are all entitled to our opinions. The element of your post which I found very dissapointing was the assertion that the news item from the CEO (my opinion is it was entirely accurate) "did little more than trigger a load of deeply unhelpful xenophobic emails" that statement from you is not opinion, it is however wildly innacurate (hence the dissapointment), what the statement from the CEO actually did was trigger a load of emails that were well reasoned and conveyed the concerns of model flyers and which contributed to EASA revisiting the issue. That isn't my opinion it is fact backed up by EASA themselves.

My opinion is that you posting that incorrect statdement was akin to the worst excesses of the gutter press, my opinion which remains and that I am entitled to, nothing incorrect or uninformed about it, and certainly nothing that will be apologised for. I simply suggested, for the sake of accuracy and the credibility of the forum that you consider withdrawing the element of your post that was incorrect, I certainly wasn't suggesting you withdraw any of your opinion. I apologise if that wasn't clear in my original post.