Bad News And Good.

I notice that RCMW have announced that they are not going to include a free plan every month for the foreseeable future. They now plan ( no pun intended ) to publish one every other month. 

The logic behind the move is the high cost of producing a plan every month, particularly as many of them are for Depron models requiring not much more than an outline drawing. Their words not mine.

To sweeten the pill in the months where a free plan is not published,  they have decided to offer what they call "Pick Your Own Plan" This works by offering several plans from the Traplet Plans Service which now includes the MyHobbyStore range at half price. 

This month, for example, one of the four plans offered at half price is David Boddington's WW1 style biplane  Mannock.

An interesting move and a sign of the time perhaps.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 18/02/2017 19:20:25

In the two clubs that I belong to, so that's 210 members, I don't think I've seen a free magazine plan design built for many, many years. I don't know what magazine circulation is these days shared between RCM&E and RCMW but from total sales, the number of free plans built and flown must be miniscule. Maybe building is not the main attraction, but just to peruse and study the construction article is enough? I think I built a model from a free plan once, thirty or so years ago, but I don't remember what it was or how well it went.

Most of the plans in both RCMW and RCM&E magazines, I find are not very good (to me, anyway). Some are good, but some I can't reason why anyone would want to built that.

Maybe its a good thing, but rather than have one poor plan per mag, a larger model design every 2 or 3 editions, every quarter, maybe.

Also, I don't think it will affect sales, as most people don't build, anyway, let alone from a plan. Most plans probably go in the recycle bin, and that cost is better served in the content instead.

I think it is a sign of the times that with rising production costs and also time it takes to find suitable designs and the fact that these days there is quite a wide range of ARTF models and still a reasonable market for kits that there must be pressures also on finding designers and/or suitable designs.

That said though with the use of pcs and CAD packages there are still a number of scratchbuilt models (which is always great to see) always around. Maybe not everyone can have the time to take what might be a scratchbuilt model and turn the design into one for publishing? Lets face it people's spare time can be very precious. I know I have to balance my work life with family and MY own hobby time.

Personally, I think most of the mags have a mix of some great free plans mixed with some not so good, but I think plans play an important part in encouraging people to build either through free plans or through some excellent plans to purchase.

Posted by Nightflyer 2013 on 18/02/2017 22:54:03:

Personally, I think most of the mags have a mix of some great free plans mixed with some not so good, but I think plans play an important part in encouraging people to build either through free plans or through some excellent plans to purchase.

I agree with you there Nightflier. And yes, I'm sure that to each of us there are what we all personally think are interesting subjects and less interesting ones, as in life, we don't all like the same things, but the plans are not intended wow all of us, every month. The point surely is that across the subscription membership models of all types, sizes, degrees of difficulty and material form will, and are, built from these plans and that's surely a good thing, even if not always apparent on the flight line. I've built numerous free plans, from RCM&E and other mags over the years, as have friends of mine and what I choose to build isn't their cuppa, nor theirs mine.

Part of the fun in getting the mag each month, for me at least, is looking to see what free plan is on offer to see if I fancy building it. I certainly don't go out of my way each month to pour over Traplet or other websites, eagerly looking for a plan I can buy and build. It may even be true to say I probably wouldn't be building models now, but for taking a fancy to a free plan years ago, having a go and loving it and the pride that comes flying what you've built. Sure, we could reduce the free plans to once a quarter or longer and just have free plans like the TN warbirds. Wow, great, BUT, that wouldn't be of much use to those wanting to have a go for the first time; bit daunting for them, no?

And sure, we all pour over the TN warbird plans (not singling you out TN), relishing the prospect of building them, me included and I've already acquired the expensive bits for his 72" Spit. But a few months or so back I took a real fancy to the Cartoon Cutlass and so built it, and the lads I fly with all think its fab and would love me to build them one. If such models weren't included in the mags then a build experience would've been lost there, which would surely be a pity. And yes, they asked me to build them one! Why, because they haven't the confidence to build it themselves because they've only ever bought ARTFs and don't subscribe to mags). It seems to me they are missing out on a huge part of what the modelling hobby is all about. Just because the 'perceived' trend is a move away from building from plans, doesn't mean it should be encouraged by removing the opportunity.

I'm not sure how many subscribe to the various mags but I'm sure, as some have already said, there will be those that drop out if the free plan is stopped, or they will cancel their subscription and buy off the shelf when a plan is offered. Or will shelf stocks disappear or be restricted to non-free plan issues too?

Edited By Mannyroad on 19/02/2017 00:19:40

RCM&E, please don't follow suit.

I love the free plans and build reviews. I am building my first plane (Sleeker) and can't begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed the whole build process. I even enjoy the annoying little voice in my head that keeps saying "you could have done that bit bigger" or "next time I'll do that bit better/differently" I foresee myself building and flying many more

If RCM&E were to stop including the free plans I'm afraid I would have to seriously consider if the magazine would be good value for money for me and it hurts to say that. Reality is being in Australia, many of the articles being U.K. Oriented content are of little interest to me. Sorry but it's the truth.

Meanwhile big ups for RCM&E, keep up the good work and please keep including the free plans of these wonderful little flying machines.

TP

That's great to hear David! Personally I was horrified when my RCMW turned up in it's new skinny format this week. I used to subscribe to their sister publication, Quiet and Electric flight but they went down the bimonthly plan route so I phoned up, moaned and changed my remaining subscription value to RCMW. Within a year silent flight mag was gone!

For me, the plan ( let's not kid ourselves that it's ACTUALLY free) is the highlight of the magazine even if it's something that I would never have any desire to actually build, it's still a great pleasure to pour over it and the accompanying build article to see how the designer got over things or for clever ideas that could be useful in other builds.

I have built many models from in mag plans, in fact I would say that at least 50% of my builds are from mag plans, and I built 11 models in 2016 so that's at least 5 last year.

I for one will be making my feelings felt to their editor and cancelling my subscription if they persist with this policy.

I think Mannyroad's comments are quite pertinent. Also those of Andy G too. I for one used to subscribe to the same as you Andy, and I agree totally with you. I used to subscribe to RCM&E, RCMW, Q&EFI and RCSI. I ended up with the former two. Having not been a subscriber of late but still getting the mags monthly locally, if I am totally honest I do favour RCM&E. So thanks David Ashby and the team for your efforts. Here is what I would like to add in comment.

Having had limited time until recently for my own hobbies, I now have the time. My teenage son who also does model car racing, has for a few years done some model flying either, free flight gliders or electric round the pole. He has now decided he wants to have a go at rc flying. He has told me he likes RCM&E and what has encouraged him has been some of the free plans. He wants to build an electric glider so that's one of this month's free plans that got his interest and he wants to have a Babybolt from last month's plan. He has seen the pics and videos and also the plans and he is wanting to build them himself.

Magazines and free plans all have a role. It is not just about those of us hardened experienced modellers but attracting new and inexperienced flyers. After all how many of us used magazines and possibly their plans free or otherwise as a starting point or indeed as reference when first becoming interested? I know that when my father and myself started rc in 1976 it was RCM&E that really made a big impression (and still does).

IIRC free plans used to be an 'occasional' feature in all the mags. It's only in recent years that they've become a monthly fixture (In fact I believe it was actually that RCMW forced the pace on this...)

Without wishing to cause offence to any of the designers, there have been many occasions when I'd have happily gone without. I'd rather have 6 (or even 4) quality plans a year, supported by lasered woodpacks (with ribs/formers only to keep the cost down) that might actually get me to build one.

My free plans date from the mid '60s and fill a couple of those boxes that A4 paper comes in. The only one I've ever finished and flown a model from was Gordon Whitehead's f/f Sopwith Triplane!

The free plan every month was a main feature that made me choose RCM&E in the first place. Even if a particular plan does not appeal directly to me I still like poring over it and gleaning new ways of solving problems or doing things. I do find myself waiting eagerly every year for the "big one" in the autumn special, so if once in a while a bigger build were spread out to two magazines I wouldn't complain. If there were none at all I would.

Lorenz

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 19/02/2017 01:30:01:

...but I am nearly eighty and just don't have the time anymore

Now that's shocking news!! surprise

Re 'free' plans, I agree with Lorenz above: they don't have to be in every issue, but I hope this isn't the thin end of some trailing-edge. The plans - plus the articles that accompany them - are often fascinating to consume and are a big part of the magazine for me, even if (on average) only a handful of each are actually ever built.

Mind you, I do have my eye on the Skywriter for IC and have put the plan to one side - and will reference the several build-blogs already on here for future use - which is an excellent combination of both new and old technologies.

I build small FF scale for rubber and CO2, and prefer to do this from old free downloadable plans and my own wood rather than kits with their sometimes variable lumber, but these are small enough to print out on my A3 printer (or taped together sheets from an A4 one). The beauty of the RCM&E plans is that they are ready to use at full size and accuracy.

Jon

Edited By Jonathan M on 21/02/2017 07:18:23

To have a free plan in every issue or not is not a big thing for me. Every 3 years I "cull" my collection of magazines, extracting the plans and any useful articles and file them away. My small collection fills a 1.5ft by3ft box.

wp_20170221_08_40_26_pro[1].jpg

wp_20170221_08_40_11_pro[1].jpg

I have built and still fly several models from free plans. But it has to be the right plan, and to get that correct every month is nigh on impossible.

Perhaps an option for the future (and i think this has already been done) would be to spread a "quality" plan over several issue`s. I for one was looking forward to the Storch plan from a few months ago. This has been on my to do list for a long while. So to read in this months issue that it was to big to fit was a disappointment. I will get over it...

Kev

Merely out of idle curiosity, I Googled RCM&E's circulation figure and what came back from the on-line media package was a figure of around 38000 (2015). I was surprised at that as I thought the number would be significantly lower. Average age of readers was reckoned to be 55 with 70% interested in electric flight.

If one assumes a similar figure for RCMW (couldn't find any info on them) then we're talking perhaps about a monthly sale of around 60 - 70K between the two. Given that the BMFA's membership is of the order of 35000 and a total guess of commercial mag sales to 25% of the membership, then one wonders who is buying the bulk of the magazines? Regular over the counter sales, subscriptions, impulse purchase, lone flyers? I suspect that very few buyers of the magazines go on to build the free plans, so one does have to question their worth.

I don't take any of the mags myself, but I do value the plans, books and DVD services offered, so long may the mags remain successful and in business.

Edited By Cuban8 on 21/02/2017 10:04:48

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 19/02/2017 07:05:03:

Thanks TP, we will, in fact we now include 4 sheets per issue, usually 2 models or more comprising one new design and a classic that deserves to find a new generation of builders.

Thank goodness for RCM&E

My interpretation is that if no free plans and an article are available then no one will become an aeromodeller. model flyers are aplenty but aeromodellers are few. I am guilty of being a flyer for a long time but i have over the last 4 years built 2 sig kits one covered and ready to fly, one ready to cover, Designed one of my own using Peter Millers parameters, built it and flew it too, I have one fuselage RCM&E plan build model gathering dust, but will get around to finishing.

RCM&E plans good or bad are all a lesson in going the next step. I hope other modellers see it this way.

bbc

Posted by Cuban8 on 21/02/2017 09:51:44:

Merely out of idle curiosity, I Googled RCM&E's circulation figure and what came back from the on-line media package was a figure of around 38000 (2015). I was surprised at that as I thought the number would be significantly lower.

I think you'll find that's the figure for the YEAR. Not a month!

Edited By Guvnor on 21/02/2017 21:52:26