Aeromodellers or model flyers?

ChrisB

As with many clubs we've seen a recent influx of novice members who don't really have any knowledge of RC flying of any kind. Many seem to want to just fly and not be bothered with construction, electronics or engine setup etc.

Therefore do we have two groups? Aeromodellers, who build from plans, kits, assemble artfs, fiddle and change things on models and generally get stuck in and ask questions, show an interest and take full advantage of the hobby.

And

Model plane flyers who only buy planes that require no work, are all done for them and don't want to 'learn their craft' but just fly and absolutely nothing else and don't seem particularly inquisitive or enthused.

Advert

If it impacts on the future of the hobby, yes.

I suspect that many dyed in the wool model flyers are aeromodellers. These are the people with sufficient commitment to the hobby to spend countless hours building a model and then risk it to the elements and their skills in order to extract further satisfaction from seeing their creations fly.

Many of these people will also enjoy flying for its own sake and buy ARTF models, but have the skills and desire to repair them after unfortunate misjudgements or failures.

There are also some lacking these skills or desires who simply enjoy model flying. They happily buy and fly for many years.

Both groups can function together in a club with perfect harmony.

However, there are a number of potential modellers who, having been introduced to the hobby by easily accessible bind and fly or ARTF models and maybe not keen enough to fly year round, who drift away after falling into the habit of only turning up on the good flying days or becoming disheartened by the apparently impossible task of making, to a builder, relatively simple repairs. In the past, the majority would have cut their teeth (and the odd finger) on building a trainer and probably a follow on model or two and would have at least an idea (and the tools) to take these tasks on.

Couple this with the dearth of local model shops which have been decimated by the lack of regular trade from builders and repairers (don't forget the potential for impulse buying when you pop into a shop for some clevises) and sparking of interest from window shoppers trudging around towns with their other halves, maybe the "boom" in model flying due to "boxification" has actually weakened the hobby in the long run?

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/04/2017 15:02:09

Surely it has always been the case that most people coming to the hobby do so because they want to fly. In the past, this generally meant that, like it or not, they had to get into building to some degree (or be content with other people's cast offs). The advent of ARTFs has lowered this entry barrier which is surely a good thing.

Also there has always been a high drop out rate amongst the newcomers. I don't know whether this has changed in recent years or not.

The question is, if ARTFs had never happened, would the hobby be in a healthier state now than it is? Impossible to know, but personally I very much doubt it.

Trevor

I think what we are seeing is a watershed in that in earlier years the only way to fly was to build a kit or from a plan - therefore the vast majority of those that had no interest in building or believed they didn't have the required skills never entered the hobby at all - And of those that did take the plunge and started building, how many actually ever finished it? - I would suggest quite a percentage fell by the wayside, a sort of natural filter ensuring that only those with a reasonable level of dedication would ever arrive at a club field with a plane.

Now with RTF/ARTF's pretty well anyone can get into the hobby very quickly and with little or no skills required - so the hobby is now accessible to many many more BUT that accessibility removes the natural filter and sp we see so many "blow in - blow outs" who have a dabble then vanish again - but a small percentage will stick around

Will they start building (rather than assembling) - I would say a percentage will, especially if they see non ARFT's flying at the clubs

Well said Josip!

At the stratospheric levels of our hobby, F3A aerobatics or F3B gliding, if I've got my numerical descriptions right, nearly everybody buys their models rather than builds them.

However, the current situation does offer some advantages to those of us who don't mind building. I bought an as-new WOT 4 Classic kit off eBay for £60 just recently.

I was the only bidder.

Says it all really.

Posted by David Davis on 30/04/2017 19:51:53:

I bought an as-new WOT 4 Classic kit off eBay for £60 just recently.

I was the only bidder.

You were had! teeth 2

Joking aside, the other two corners of my 'aero-modelling' hobby are free flight rubber and CO2 scale, and DLG:

• In the former case, everything is always hand-built from kits, from plans or from own designs.
  • In the latter case, almost everything is assembled (albeit with exacting skill) from expensive manufactured high-tech components.

In many ways, then, general purpose RC model flying represents the widest church really, with both modeller-fliers and ARTF-only fliers.

I keep thinking about the recent poll by Beth Ashby: surely the more useful question to ask of forumites is "what proportion of your current collection of RC planes did you build yourself (from kits, plans or own designs)?"

Jon

PS How does one create a poll anyway - or is this a feature only Mods can access?

Edited By Jonathan M on 30/04/2017 20:37:31

Posted by ChrisB on 30/04/2017 15:49:29:
I think it does matter for several reasons.
Time and effort of instructors and other club members in investing time and effort helping newbies who last 12 months.
Long term future of the hobby.
Safety
And
Retention of members for clubs.

If instructors & other club members want to help newbies that's their choice.

Why does the long term future of the hobby really matter - after all it's only a hobby. The only product is the enjoyment of the participants (& possibly spectators) gain.

Safety - you've lost me there. I don't see how safety is compromised.

The members are the club - fewer members = smaller or fewer clubs. So what ?

Edited By PatMc on 30/04/2017 20:48:19

Posted by Martin Harris on 30/04/2017 14:47:17:

If it impacts on the future of the hobby, yes.

Why does that matter ?

Posted by PatMc on 30/04/2017 20:30:44:
Posted by Martin Harris on 30/04/2017 15:03:43:

Perhaps you're not bothered then?

Why should I be ?

There's no reason why you should be, but I'm still young and naive enough to get pleasure from flying at my club, passing on my knowledge and experience (for what it's worth) to new people.

For less altruistic reasons, if the supply of new modellers dries up, then fields are going to become rarer or less affordable (not so much of a problem at my present club which owns its field but we are in a minority) fewer people will be buying equipment making it more difficult to obtain - and much more expensive, new products won't be developed and new friendships won't be made as time takes its toll on existing enthusiasts.

I fully accept that we all get different things from our involvement, hopefully you'll continue to enjoy whatever you get out of the hobby.

Posted by Trevor on 30/04/2017 16:08:23:

The question is, if ARTFs had never happened, would the hobby be in a healthier state now than it is? Impossible to know, but personally I very much doubt it.

Trevor

Personally, I feel that if the ARTF/instant gratification revolution hadn't happened then there'd be no hobby at all. No hardware, no suppliers, no clubs.

I have no problems with the ARTF side of the hobby - it makes it possible for those of us who 'build' to carry on.

Tim