Hot Hot Hot

Devcon1

Advert

I worked for the Australian National Railways in the 1970's, recovering useable wooden sleepers after they'd been replaced by concrete ones. We were allowed to knock off work if the temperature exceeded 42 C. However, there was nowhere to go in the Outback so we carried on working, not that we did much in those temperatures!

However, when someone complains that it's too hot at 28 degrees, I allow myself a wry smile.

Nice and cool in the office all day, whilst the display on my phone reminded me that it was 30°C outside. It was a bit warm walking back to the station this evening, then a non-air-conditioned train, then into my air-conditioned car. And now sitting in a rather warm house with my phone display reminding me that it's still 30°C outside despite it being 8:30pm. I must admit I prefer cold rather than warm weather. Give me a nice ski-slope rather than a hot, sweaty beach any day!

But by the weekend I guess we'll be looking back wondering where summer went to!

Edited By John Privett on 21/06/2017 20:36:07

Posted by David Davis on 21/06/2017 19:44:05:

I worked for the Australian National Railways in the 1970's, recovering useable wooden sleepers after they'd been replaced by concrete ones. We were allowed to knock off work if the temperature exceeded 42 C. However, there was nowhere to go in the Outback so we carried on working, not that we did much in those temperatures!

However, when someone complains that it's too hot at 28 degrees, I allow myself a wry smile.

Hang on - 28 degrees here is worse than 42 degrees in Australia....hot

Most places further south are way warmer than the UK and more humid. It's no problem flying models in 40C+. There are several advantages. e.g. Exhaust grease cleans off the airframes far more easily than in cool climates, and you don't have to use the cylinder heads of your ic engines as handwarmers!

I noticed on the news that some passenger jets in the States were grounded as the heat/air density put some of them beyond their operational limits. Not so with my 76" lightweight balsa glider yesterday.

As an aside I was in my shed tonight with the temperature showing as 22 degrees but I had to close the door as I felt cold.

Do we really acclimatise that quickly ?

Posted by Devcon1 on 22/06/2017 22:46:11:

I noticed on the news that some passenger jets in the States were grounded as the heat/air density put some of them beyond their operational limits. Not so with my 76" lightweight balsa glider yesterday.

As an aside I was in my shed tonight with the temperature showing as 22 degrees but I had to close the door as I felt cold.

Do we really acclimatise that quickly ?

As you say Devcon, at 15° I put my jacket on, and at 17° I have to take it off.

I am told that if we played a temperature game of " higher or lower", that we could has individuals detect a temperature change of

One half of a degree.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 23/06/2017 08:21:48:

I am told that if we played a temperature game of " higher or lower", that we could has individuals detect a temperature change of

One half of a degree.

I can certainly feel that much difference in CH thermostat settings in winter, as in going from cold to comfortable. I seem to have developed a functional operating range of 18-24 C over the last few years, a bit limiting with our climate! face 5

As I mentioned a couple of days ago I used to work in the Austrailian Outback for the Australian National Railway. Using the old Fahrenheit system you could work comfortably up to 100 degrees. From 100 to 110 degrees you could work but it took a bit more out of you. Above 110 was beyond a joke and I'll swear on a stack of Bibles that I could tell the difference between a 110 dgree day and a 111 degree day.

Not that I'm a religious man mind! wink.