glo to gas

Den Moran

Advert

Be aware that converting a glow engine to petrol is not as simple as you may have been lead to believe. Some take to it better than others and some dont like it at all.

Its taken me 4 years development to get our engine close to satisfactory so be careful you aren't throwing your money away as many of my customers have.

Posted by stu knowles on 04/07/2017 11:12:37:

Morris mini motors

https://www.morrisminimotors.com/conversion-kits/super-tiger-conversion-kits.html​

I haven't used or indeed seen one but I hear nice things.

You wont hear nice things from me!

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 04/07/2017 11:23:16:
Posted by stu knowles on 04/07/2017 11:12:37:

Morris mini motors

https://www.morrisminimotors.com/conversion-kits/super-tiger-conversion-kits.html​

I haven't used or indeed seen one but I hear nice things.

You wont hear nice things from me!

Attacking someone whom you presumably see as a competitor on a public forum is pretty low. Perhaps investing your energies in getting the much plugged but still unobtainium Laser petrol engines to market might be a better idea? That is after all the main reason people convert your engines with aftermarket kits...

You may not think much of Morris' or JE's conversions, but in our experience they throttle and run at least as good if not better than the "proper" petrol four strokes from the likes of Saito or NGH (not hugely surprising given many of those were not designed from the ground up as gassers). Constantly rubbishing conversions as "not as good as a Laser" is academic given petrol Lasers are not available to buy at this time.

In addition whenever we have dealt with both Morris and JE they have exhibited exemplary customer service - Morris travelled >200 miles for free to troubleshoot a crash damaged Saito gasser for a friend of my Dad's that had been recalcitrant following repair. All sorted with a smile, he is a genuine enthusiast who shares his knowledge readily with others, and every time we have interacted with JE it has been a similarly positive experience. And as an added bonus they do not post on here rubbishing their competitors either... wink

Edited By MattyB on 04/07/2017 14:30:37

wonderful, misinformed sarcastic keyboard warriors at it again.

Given that the OP was asking about converting an engine that is nothing to do with me in any way there is no competition for me to be worried about. I didnt try and sell him one of my engines and simply warned him that converting glow engines to petrol is not as easy as people like to make out and that he might be better off spending the money on glow fuel or buying a dle 20 or something. I never compared it to a laser so your 'quote' is a work of total fiction.

Morris is also not a competitor and is a nice bloke to deal with. I have spoken with him on the phone, serviced his 200v (running on glow) and shot the breeze about all things engine. He is even eager to try one of our petrol engines once i have a production spec version ready. There are no issues there, i never even mentioned his customer service, but his current products do not work on our engines, are not recommended and i am yet to see a conversion from anyone that really works well which is why i have nothing nice to say. Its nothing against him personally, just the whole idea that slapping a cdi unit and walbro carb on any engine you can find makes it into the perfect petrol. Its simply not the case and if you check the FAQ section of the Laser website you will see that i say the same things there as i do here. Some engines respond better than others, and ours do not work at all when converted in this way.

I have never rubbished a competitors product but make no secret of the fact that i think i can do better with my own engine. And you can complain about it not being finished yet but perhaps i should sell every idea that comes into my head and let the customers do the R&D at the expense of their models? Not a good alternative really is it and not something i am prepared to do. If i wasnt the only person here that might speed things up too. I also wasn't aware my development work was 'much plugged'. I have posted updates on the development progress, but why would i plug something i cant sell? People were interested/excited by the prospect and wanted updates. I post them as and when i have something to tell them. Oh and dont tell me where i need to put my energies. You simply have no idea what you are talking about in this regard and i am well aware of what needs to be done and the time pressures involved. We are years behind where we should be and i am trying all i can to catch up.

Anyway my original post was purely intended to assist another modeller and make sure he has all the information he needs before deciding where to spend his money. As an engine designer and manufacturer there is a chance i know more about it than the chap asking the question so thought i would caution him so he didnt waste his money and make sure he does sufficient research before proceeding.

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 04/07/2017 15:22:35:

Morris is also not a competitor and is a nice bloke to deal with. I have spoken with him on the phone, serviced his 200v (running on glow) and shot the breeze about all things engine. He is even eager to try one of our petrol engines once i have a production spec version ready. There are no issues there, i never even mentioned his customer service, but his current products do not work on our engines, are not recommended and i am yet to see a conversion from anyone that really works well which is why i have nothing nice to say. Its nothing against him personally, just the whole idea that slapping a cdi unit and walbro carb on any engine you can find makes it into the perfect petrol. Its simply not the case and if you check the FAQ section of the Laser website you will see that i say the same things there as i do here. Some engines respond better than others, and ours do not work at all when converted in this way.

...except that we and many others have converted them, and they work just fine, as good if not better than the competition from Saito. I am quite sure you have forgotten more about engines than I will ever know, but it seems somewhat strange you are prepared to comment on the reliability and performance of a converted engine you have not seen since it left the factory.

I have never rubbished a competitors product but make no secret of the fact that i think i can do better with my own engine. And you can complain about it not being finished yet but perhaps i should sell every idea that comes into my head and let the customers do the R&D at the expense of their models? Not a good alternative really is it and not something i am prepared to do. If i wasn't the only person here that might speed things up too. I also wasn't aware my development work was 'much plugged'. I have posted updates on the development progress, but why would i plug something i cant sell? People were interested/excited by the prospect and wanted updates. I post them as and when i have something to tell them. Oh and dont tell me where i need to put my energies. You simply have no idea what you are talking about in this regard and i am well aware of what needs to be done and the time pressures involved. We are years behind where we should be and i am trying all i can to catch up.

It is nothing personal, ultimately the market will decide. Your potential customers have been telling you in multiple threads the 180 is already a killer product, but it remains unobtainable so they are instead converting engines or buying from your competitors. Meanwhile the huge majority of modellers under 40 who fly IC are using petrol engines, whether you like them or not. I am sure Laser can do well in the short term churning out glows, but that market must be limited in the medium to long term as the baby boomers leave modelling over the next decade.

Anyway my original post was purely intended to assist another modeller and make sure he has all the information he needs before deciding where to spend his money. As an engine designer and manufacturer there is a chance i know more about it than the chap asking the question so thought i would caution him so he didnt waste his money and make sure he does sufficient research before proceeding.

Your first post in this thread was helpful to the OP, but I fail to see how the second ("You wont hear nice things from me!" ) gave him any great insights into the subject of petrol conversions.

Edited By MattyB on 04/07/2017 15:48:12

Edited By MattyB on 04/07/2017 15:51:04

Posted by john stones 1 on 04/07/2017 15:33:55:

Usual long post with insult if opinions don't fit yours, you do/have rubbished others product many times, you have the "keyboard warrior" of to a not so fine art.

John

Ok John, everyone knows you dont like me or anything i say. Its fine.

Matty, you are right, my second post was not as informative as perhaps it could have been. Im not sure it merited being dragged over hot coals though. In any case i will pm you as i dont want to further confuse the thread.

I will simply clarify my posts by stating again that not all engines take well to conversion and you need to be careful. I know some have converted our engines and are happy, but as the manufacturer i know a little more of the backstory and you guys will just have to trust me when i say its a bad idea for our engines.

as a side note i spoke with morris after this all kicked off and he pretty much just laughed at me and said he never gets onto forums as this always happens, so its all fine.

a gas conversion would be very difficult on an rc plane. The engine has to be started and brought up to temperature on liquid fuel first before switching over to gas. You also have the extra weight of a gas bottle, gas regulator and electronic control module. And all that is assuming you can successfully tap in a gas injector into the cylinder

Edited By Phil 9 on 04/07/2017 16:55:36

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 04/07/2017 16:47:53:
Posted by john stones 1 on 04/07/2017 15:33:55:

Usual long post with insult if opinions don't fit yours, you do/have rubbished others product many times, you have the "keyboard warrior" of to a not so fine art.

John

Ok John, everyone knows you dont like me or anything i say. Its fine.

Matty, you are right, my second post was not as informative as perhaps it could have been. Im not sure it merited being dragged over hot coals though. In any case i will pm you as i dont want to further confuse the thread.

I will simply clarify my posts by stating again that not all engines take well to conversion and you need to be careful. I know some have converted our engines and are happy, but as the manufacturer i know a little more of the backstory and you guys will just have to trust me when i say its a bad idea for our engines.

as a side note i spoke with morris after this all kicked off and he pretty much just laughed at me and said he never gets onto forums as this always happens, so its all fine.

I'll like many things you say Jon and I appreciate your opinions and the help you give people, and we differ little in what we enjoy and have an interest in, i feel you go too far sometimes is all, and i don't dislike you, sometimes disagree though.

John

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 04/07/2017 19:23:38:

I bought a Saito FG- 40 petrol the other day. The instructions say, to avoid possible corrosion it is best to use methanol free petrol.

This comes out at around £18 gallon, so not a lot of advantage over glow.

Isn't all petrol methanol free? I assume from your post it's not but I had no idea there was any in normal pump petrol.

Geoff

@Den Moran. Bet you wished you never asked, eh?

Everybody has an opinion but the best advice I can give is to ask somebody who has actually done it.

I have actually done it (and posted about it on here some time ago - you find my comments and pics)

You need to start with the right engine (I converted a Moki 210) and the large STs are as good as anything.

You may need to shim the head with gaskets to reduce the compression ratio slightly (I used 2 - supplied by JE)

It also helps if you are lucky enough to have a Walbro carb handy and a lathe to turn an adaptor spigot to mount it on the engine (mine also needed a bit of cross-drilling to allow a pressure tap off the crankcase to feed the pump).

You'll also need to fit a magnet in the prop driver and tap the front housing to take screws which hold the Hall sensor in place. The rest of the kit it the electronci ignition modeule - also from JE (though HK and others do them as well).

I run mine on a conservative 4-5% oil mix (no needle bearings in the conrod...)

ALTERNATIVELY - spend less than a tenner on an OS G5 glow plug (optimised for petrol) and just try the engine (ST carb and all) as is. It may work, it may be a bit rough, in which case you can look at adapting it to take a petrol carb or shim the head. It's a small outlay to experiment with - and you don't have the cost of the ignition unit.

HTH

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!,

I've had a private post from one of our more sensible members, who does his best to be helpful, and explains the gas/glo conversion process very well.

It's disappointing to have to read these replies - the first time on this forum that I haven't received a sensible answer ( apart from the aforementioned private post) .

I feel confident that I can now go ahead with my conversion, with little fuss or expense. VERY public thanks for the private message, so sensible and tactful!

Den, Wales

Well that takes the biscuit! surprise

Den, if you look at the post just above your little rant, you'll see (in my view) a quite sensible and helpful reply, based on my own, practical experience of such a conversion. It's posted for everyone to see (and therefore useful as a forum contribution) not hidden away in a PM (and therefore useless as a forum contribution).

Replies like yours make people less inclined to invest any effort in contributing information based on their hard-earned knowledge and experience. Suffice to say, I'll be saving mine for my Clubmates from now on, but extended the proper courtesy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-8TkgLUS4) I might be prepared to reconsider...

Edited By Mike T on 31/07/2017 23:02:26