Traplet

Tony Bennett

Posted by onetenor on 20/07/2017 11:06:19:

I don' KNOW for sure but I think the receivers have an obligation to fulfil orders placed and paid for prior to receivership coming into effect. I'll stand ( or sit to be corrected.

John O/T

No you become an unsecured creditor. You rank behind secured & preferential creditors but ahead of shareholders in any payout if the eventual result is liquidation. If the assets of the company are taken over with the intention of resuming trading the purchaser may decide to fulfil pipeline orders as a matter of goodwill but is not generally obliged to do so.

Advert

Damn! I just ordered Ton's red eagle. It's coming from the Australian store so hopefully not affected. Also paid for by paypal so at least a little protected. It's not so much the expense as I haven't spent a lot but, I was looking forward to starting the build.

Always a sad day when another business closes tho. Especially when it's easy to see the impact of the internet.

Edited By Tipsy Pilot on 20/07/2017 15:49:38

with the likes of outerzone I think the market for plans must have dropped significantly. many of the x plans list were all but usless. who would buy a 10-15 pound plan based on a title only you need better detail than that to enable you to decide if you wanto to build the model.

but the closure can only be bad news for us hobbists and may well result in many plans being lost

Posted by Phil 9 on 20/07/2017 15:45:56:

with the likes of outerzone I think the market for plans must have dropped significantly. many of the x plans list were all but usless. who would buy a 10-15 pound plan based on a title only you need better detail than that to enable you to decide if you wanto to build the model.

but the closure can only be bad news for us hobbists and may well result in many plans being lost

I doubt if the market for plans ever had any real significant value, they did nothing to attract advertising revenue post magazine publication.
The exponential growth in ARTF/PNP market together with the practice of "free" plans with each magazine & the ease of making copies by individuals must have caused the value of a plans archive, as a company asset, to plummet.

Does this mean RCMW and the other Traplet hobby publications also cease publication?

Very sad because apart from the plans they also sold CNC components which (I think) were cut by SLEC. I bought the plans, a DVD and wooden parts to build a scale Thames sailing barge (about 1100 mm waterline) a couple of years ago and got a full refund because of a mistake in the cutting. Still built the hull though but not yet the rigging.

Geoff

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 20/07/2017 16:57:23:

Looking at the company financials its been coming a while....

Net Worth 2011 - £520,000 down to £101,000 in 2016

Total Asset 2011 - £2,013,000 down to £861,000 in 2016

**LINK**

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 20/07/2017 16:57:45

I'm by no means a financial expert but reading through that report it appears to have been plodding along without heavy loss till last year then net worth and assets fell through the floor

Nice one Peter, I will look forward to that in the fullness of time...

I would have thought that RCMW Magazine and the Traplet Plans Service complemented each other very well. There were sometimes as many as three 'featured' (if not free) plans in the mag. I think it is all down to simply not enough people building from plans anymore. If it is true that SLEC were involved with the CNC wood packs, and I am not sure it is, then it would make sense if SLEC could take over the plans service in some way in the future. Pure speculation on my part. Perhaps we will hear of some official announcement before too long by somebody 'in the know'.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 20/07/2017 19:03:30

I doubt very much if SLEC will take on selling plans, but as one of Traplet's creditors they will I'm sure, take more than a passing interest in whatever assets are to be thrown to the vultures. I hope they receive some recompense, as they are a very good company and always willing to help with advice.

You need to understand the way a company is structured and owned, before jumping into published figures, the big decrease was when the owners sold the large building they owned. Sadly like most things since the internet nothing has a gestation period where the whole story has time to come out, every one has an idea what is happening.

The truth is the hobby is in a huge decline, people can't see it-sadly its already too late because the World has changed so much, there is too much to spend recreational money on, people coming into the hobby want instant gratification, so even foam ARTF models are asked to be fully assembled in the shops by customers!

Radios and helicopters were the few areas that made money for hobby shops, Drones killed sales of both of those, they don't use Tx's Rx's and servos. People who had found that they couldn't 'drive' a flying model took up ground operated craft, which at least used Tx's, Rx's and servos...now they can fly a drone (because you don't need to be able to fly) so less radios sales. Helicopters don't sell because Drones are aerobatic, they crash better, can be repaired in minutes-require little skill to repair (instant gratification again) So people who came into the hobby to build/engineer helicopters and have the challenge of learning don't bother now. The hobby was as much about the building, as the flying. The youngsters aren't interested in that, when they are used to hitting reset on a computer game.

I've written for Traplet for 20 years, they were old school. Don't fully write them off yet though. Some areas still made money.

Posted by kevin b on 20/07/2017 20:00:30:

I doubt very much if SLEC will take on selling plans, but as one of Traplet's creditors they will I'm sure, take more than a passing interest in whatever assets are to be thrown to the vultures. I hope they receive some recompense, as they are a very good company and always willing to help with advice.

+1 from me.

I canceled my RCMW subscription last Sunday at Cosford. Seemed something was happening, as the lady on the stand understood why I canceled and thanked me for my custom for the last 25 years - the last 10 being on subscription, which is how I currently receive the RCM&E issues...

Traplet have been in trouble before, but got out of it - their biggest loss was their sponsorship of the Eastnor Castle show, which never made any money. Was a great show, but not good for a business model. (they never organized one again after that.)

I am the lady at the Cosford show mentioned in the above post and I want to put the record straight here and now that I had absolutely no idea whatsoever about Traplet going into administration. I am extremely upset that it has been suggested that I knew something was happening as believe me it came as a total shock to both me and my colleague Barry Atkinson . In fact, it was the last thing that I ever thought would happen and it's terribly sad and I would appreciate it if everyone could refrain from making any assumptions at all on a situation that they know nothing about as misinformation can cause a lot of upset and confusion. The customer who cancelled his subscription to RCMW said the page count had gone down to around 86 pages and did not take him long to read any more and that when he first had it around 20 years ago it was always 50 pages more so it was not as good value as it used to be . I could not argue the fact that the page count had gone down so I was sympathetic to his complaint . He also was not happy that there was not a free plan available in it every month. So that is why I understood the reasons for his cancellation and as he said I was very appreciative to him for his past loyalty to our magazine. May I also say thanks to Dave Wiltshire for his post as he spoke perfect sense as usual and we thank him for his loyalty to Traplet over the years.

Posted by PatMc on 20/07/2017 17:21:46:
Posted by Phil 9 on 20/07/2017 15:45:56:

The exponential growth in ARTF/PNP market together with the practice of "free" plans with each magazine & the ease of making copies by individuals must have caused the value of a plans archive, as a company asset, to plummet.

I'm not convinced that 'free plans' have a negative effect on building designs from Brian Taylor, Dennis Bryant etc.

We're not comparing like with like; a freebie plan than can usually be put together in short order with minimum detail and cost, to an intricate scale machine that requires research both in terms of construction and finish, and could easily take a couple of years and hundreds of pounds to complete.

Free plans are the perfect introduction to building one's own model from bare balsa (even easier with laser cut ply parts and ribs) and in my own case encouraged me to progress to more complex kits and plans.

I meet and talk to plenty of flyers, both newcomers and 'old hands'  who see the efforts of 'builders' and aspire themselves to constructing their own scale Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang etc pretty much from scratch.

ARTFs, foamies and drones have been and still are a distraction (and I've been distracted along with many others)  from the fundamental bedrock of our hobby/sport/ pastime; they can exist quite happily alongside what many of us see as 'Aeromodelling' in all its variations, providing they are not viewed as the answer to everything and we continue to encourage the model engineering side of our hobby. What is there to lose?

Edited By Cuban8 on 21/07/2017 08:25:41

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 21/07/2017 01:10:35:

The sudden appearance of RCMW many years ago in an already overcrowded market signalled the end of Radio Modeller which was my favourite magazine. So perhaps it's poetic justice.

What a truly awful thing to say. Several people have lost their jobs, and you think it's 'justice'...?

Perhaps Radio Modeller folded because it was simply a poor magazine...