My Spektrum DX9 transmitter has stopped working.

David Davis

It certainly seems an illogical business decision to close the UK service centre then send items to the USA via Germany so they can be sent back to the UK again. Must be very expensive in terms of shipping costs and very counter- productive in terms of customer satisfaction.

I can't see this helping their sales either as word spreads concerning the very confused and slow service situation.

Its an absolute disgrace and HH deserve everything they get. Merging 2 service centres and only employing 3 technicians to cover all of Europe and even then the stuff goes to America, its a complete and utter mess. Most of the jobs are likely to come from outside Germany, as many German flyers use Multiplex.

Horizon Hobby management need to be replaced and proper management need to be running the show. I won't be recommending HH to anyone from now on. Don't get me wrong, its good equipment, but with a shambles of after sales service why bother.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 08/09/2017 13:57:48:

Where did that carefully researched figure come from?

This forum, very recently.

There was a poll to which almost 1000 members responded (which is statistically very significant), which showed just under 30% of UK RC flyers use Spektrum.

Almost 100% of radio problems involve Spektrum (there are whole threads dedicated to Spectrum problems on here and RCG,and no threads dedicated to Futaba,JR,Frsky, Hitec, multiplexetc. or any other makes).

It is not rocket science.

I understand why, Spektrum is very well marketed with BNF and Txs costing less than £100, it's the old mantra, buy cheap, buy twice.

Edited By ted hughes on 08/09/2017 14:26:08

Edited By ted hughes on 08/09/2017 14:28:02

Posted by Ikura on 08/09/2017 12:04:58:

Horizon are clearly in trouble. There was a thread on BARCS about the Horizon/Staufenbiel EU business going bust and if that's the case then perhaps Horizon are not telling it how it really is.

It could be the Horizon have decided to move everything back to the USA where they have a very loyal customer base and offer a level of service that they clearly can't offer in Europe. The majority of Germans don't like Spektrum so why on earth Horizon decided to make a base there is anyone's guess. It seems to be a daft move.

It is a heck of a pity because they have been the market leaders for a long time and many thousands of people have bought into the Spektrum system.

Hopefully there will be some answers forthcoming at some point but I wouldn't count on it any time soon.

Here is that thread for anyone interested in reading it. Much of it (as here wink) is theory and supposition, but there do appear to be a couple of individuals who have talked to HH directly and got the inside track. If the EU operation has gone bust it is going to be a huge disappointment for those who have Spektrum gear and (to a lesser extent) those with a stock of HH models.

PS - I have also asked for clarification on their trading status on FB , PM'd Andy Kunz (Spek developer very active on RCGroups) and started a thread over there to see if anyone in the US operation is prepared to share any insights. If this is true though I expect they will remain silent for now.

Edited By MattyB on 08/09/2017 15:53:17

Posted by ted hughes on 08/09/2017 14:20:02:
Posted by Trevor Crook on 08/09/2017 13:57:48:

Where did that carefully researched figure come from?

This forum, very recently.

There was a poll to which almost 1000 members responded (which is statistically very significant), which showed just under 30% of UK RC flyers use Spektrum.

Almost 100% of radio problems involve Spektrum (there are whole threads dedicated to Spectrum problems on here and RCG,and no threads dedicated to Futaba,JR,Frsky, Hitec, multiplexetc. or any other makes).

It is not rocket science.

Please provide actual evidence, not meaningless bluster, to support this assertion. And no, I am not a Spektrum user.

Posted by Mike Healy on 08/09/2017 16:25:00:

You can probably all stop panicking, so I understand - things are in hand that a highly respected BRITISH retailer will soon be appointed sole Horizon service and repair agent. From the horses mouth by the way. And his missus.

I hope that Staufenbiel/Horizon Hobbies haven't lost my transmitter!

Posted by ChrisB on 07/09/2017 23:55:11:

Its an absolute disgrace and HH deserve everything they get. Merging 2 service centres and only employing 3 technicians to cover all of Europe and even then the stuff goes to America, its a complete and utter mess. Most of the jobs are likely to come from outside Germany, as many German flyers use Multiplex.

Horizon Hobby management need to be replaced and proper management need to be running the show. I won't be recommending HH to anyone from now on. Don't get me wrong, its good equipment, but with a shambles of after sales service why bother.

Totally agree, why a company thinks it can get away with the thick end of two months to repair current products beggars belief. And if a repair operation returns to the UK, so what, they still have to re establish a reputation. And yes, I am a Spektrum user

Well there's one thing that is certainly fact.

HH don't repair equipment or even reply to the majority of their customers in a timely manner and that is unacceptable. Show after show and trader after trader and individuals saying the same thing about lack of service or communication from HH. There are a lucky few, but they are only a few, certainly in Europe.

I think Spektrum equipment is great, its Horizon Hobbies that is the problem!

Posted by ChrisB on 09/09/2017 08:57:02:

Well there's one thing that is certainly fact.

HH don't repair equipment or even reply to the majority of their customers in a timely manner and that is unacceptable. Show after show and trader after trader and individuals saying the same thing about lack of service or communication from HH. There are a lucky few, but they are only a few, certainly in Europe.

I think Spektrum equipment is great, its Horizon Hobbies that is the problem!

Well said..................yes

If HH are not intending to close down their European operation, then they are not doing a very good job of keeping it open. Why relocate everything to Germany, then have poor stock levels; abysmal ability to answer the phone or reply to emails; be extremely tardy with service and repairs; reduce availability of their products in the UK by reducing the number of authorised dealers AND increase their prices too? I can't imagine that all of the above has improved their sales or helped their reputation any. As Chris B comments above, there are a lot of people unhappy with HH at the moment.