My Spektrum DX9 transmitter has stopped working.

David Davis

• 3 weeks later...

It stopped working on or about 10th August.

I posted it to Horizon Hobbies' European Office in Barbuttel Germany where it arrived on 21st August, signed-for delivery.

I tried phoning and emailing Barsbuttel on several occasions even to the extent of reviving my A Level German but had no reply until they emailed me on 28th September telling me, in English, that they had sent my transmitter to the USA and that I could expect to receive it back by the beginning of October. I suspect they meant November.

So to answer your question Ikura, nearly two months have gone by since my transmitter arrived in Barsbuttel.

It's a good job I hung on to my DX6i, at least I can get some flying in.

They have lost at least one sale in France, where I now live, as a result of my experience.

Posted by Don Fry on 20/10/2017 22:03:44:

Errrrr, I believe you are saying Horizon have dumped Europe. I believe David is a resident of France.

Errrr, France is a part of Europe Don, and yes I do live in France but Spektrum closed their French office too. Check out this thread, "Horizon Hobbies," started by Ernie. **LINK**

Tom you're not the only one who has gone for another manufacturer rather than buy a Spektrum radio after my experience. Our club president was talking to a member of another club a few weeks ago. The other man was thinking of buying a Spektrum radio but when he told him of my experience with Horizon Hobbies, he decided to buy something else. I always had good service from Futaba in the past. Hmmm, I only hope that Horizon Hobbies haven't lost my DX9. They appear to have lost Ernie's transmitter.

Incidentally, I went onto Horizon Hobbies' website yesterday just to see what their stock levels were, not that I shall be giving them any more business if I ever get my transmitter back. Of 72 sports models displayed, only 43 were in stock. With warbirds it was 12 out of 29, and only 18 out of 32 beginners' models were available.

We want reliability so it is our choice. Even with 35mhz, my JR suggested the onboard memory back up should be replaced at 5 years.

5 years would be great, and great value, Based on as little as 25 flying days each year, I believe it may cost us about

£1 each flying day? And if we get 5 years ! We pay 20p for our tranny for the day.

How long is a piece of string? We don't know how long our gear lasts

But for sure, gear now is less expensive than the 1960s for proportional control.

If you have no problems then radio gear is great value.

Even if you get one year I still see it as good value though very disappointing.

I for one, do not want a faulty tranny returned to me and would bite the bullet, and buy a new one.

It is unfair and disappointing, but all our gear "walks a tightrope" and in a blink of an eye, its gone.

Our gear has to be expendable, we may not bring it home in one piece !

I had a problem with my DX6i a few years ago when I still lived in England. The throttle trim had failed, (Mode 2.) Apparently this wasa a common fault and I sent it off for repair. I got it back free of charge within a few days and I'm still using the same transmitter today.

However, if I get the DX9 back and if I have further problems with it, I will definitely look elsewhere. Multiplex are starting to look good.

• 2 weeks later...

During the three and a half months that my transmitter has been on its world tour, I have moved house. I now live in the next village.

Of course I received a note in the post this morning to say that an attempt was made to deliver a parcel from Staufenbiel, presumably my transmitter, to my old address! With the help of a friend who is more computer literate than I we have managed to get the parcel redirected to my new address and it should be delivered on 6th November.

Well it finally turned up today!

Brief resume of my experience with Horizon Hobbies.

1. My DX9 ceased to function in August and was delivered to Horizon Hobbies in Barsbuttel, Germany for repair on 21st August. (Signed for delivery.) Barsbuttel is the sole agency approved by Horizon Hobbies for the repair of Spektrum equipment in Europe. The agencies in France and Great Britain were closed down earlier in the year. I had previously recieved prompt and efficient service from the British branch when the throttle trim on my DX6i failed.
  2. On 29th September, more than five weeks after it had been delivered, I recieved an email from Barsbuttel stating that they had sent my transmitter to the American office in Champaign, Illinois. In the interim I had sent Barsbuttel several emails asking for information about my transmitter. Their email of 29th September was their sole response up to that date. I'd also tried phoning them, even left them messages in my rusty German, but again, no response.
  3. The transmitter arrived in the USA on 4th October and was repaired within two days. It required four hours labour, a new aerial cover and rear slider and a loose connector was reseated and secured. The Airware/Audio files were updated and the transmitter was tested for all functions and found to be working correctly. Thanks Rick!
  4. The transmitter was posted back to Barsbuttel on 6th October and an attempt was made to deliver it to my old address on 30th October.
  5. Between sending the transmitter to Germany and receiving it back I had moved house! I did not expect them to take so long to repair my transmitter so I did not think of giving them my current address. The Americans were able to repair my transmitter in a couple of days. Why not the Germans? As stated above with the help of a friend I was able to redirect the parcel.

For the last three months I have been using my DX6i so I will have to rebind the DX9 to my models. I have just rebound it to the club trainer and all seems well. Its battery was rather low following its world tour and it's now on charge.

So if it goes wrong again will I be sending it to Barsbuttel to see whether the service has improved?

If I need to replace my radio, will I consider other manufacturers' products?

As someone has previously posted, "Answers on a postcard please."

If someone could let me have Mike Ridley's contact details I will be grateful.

David, Mike Ridley's details:

Contact Details

Note: If you have a question for Mike please check the FAQ’s as you may find an answer there.

You can call Mike between 9.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday on:

07708 436163 – Please only ring this number in the normal work hours above

For all servicing and correspondence:

Mike Ridley
12 Quilter Close
Sholing
Southampton
Hampshire
SO19 0DW

Callers strictly by appointment only

To Contact Mike on email:

[email protected]

Gents, Unfortantely after a couple of years trouble free use my DX6 (black edition) has developed a fault in that after maybe 2-3 minutes I loose signal. I have now lost 4 different models which 'freeze' on the inputs being used at the time until terra firma gets in the way. The transmitter (up until now) has been really good, so much so that I have got quite a number of spectrum receivers that I don't really want to get rid of. As its just a simple transmitter I am unsure whether the cost is worth sending it over to Germany as it may be  just as cheap to buy new. That said Percy mentions a Mr Riley a few posts up, is he able to repair Spektrum stuff or is there anywhere else within the UK that could help?

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 06/11/2017 21:30:24