My Spektrum DX9 transmitter has stopped working.

David Davis

Last week I took a model to the flying field and my previously 100% reliable Spektrum DX9 transmitter failed to work at all. The transmitter switched on alright and appeared to be perfectly normal but having switched on the receiver there was no response. I took everything home and tried operating the transmitter with other models with the same result. I even tried re-binding the transmitter to one model but the young lady who still warns me that I've got the throttle in a high position when switching on the transmitter, was silent during the binding process.

To my way of thinking, and I know nothing about electronics, this points to a fault with the transmitter. Fortunately I have a Spektrum DX6i which I can use.

Before I pack up the transmitter and send it away to Germany, is there anything else I can do?

I don't know much about the DX9 but my guess would be to check if it's set as the slave or something in the wireless trainer setting. Something that happened between the last flight and today...........a switch knocked perhaps?

In Britain taking back to the dealer would seem to be the correct procedure now, elewhere too perhaps.

David, I always thought that the servo monitor screen was just "bling"" but it is not

Go to monitor, and watch for stick movements

That screen is a true monitor of out put

See if you have that much

Also, after switch on, hold in the roller for 5 seconds, and this is a reset

Also SD cards are notoriously unreliable and can become corrupt, or just loose

Clean the contacts on the SD card

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/08/2017 19:35:45

Again I'm not a Spektrum expert - but sonme basic checks that might help,...

1. Is there any sign of life - ie dores the screen come on, does any power-on light light up? If not could be battery or power supply duff.

2. As Denis asks above do the Orange lights come on - I understand that if not then as Denis says - RF not transmitting.

3. Check the channel monitors as suggested - nothing there again suggests no RF.

If it's anything more than item 1 - then it needs to go back unless you are really confident in your electronics skills!!

If it's 1. then it would be worth trying a new battery and/or just cycling the battery connection and then giving it a good "wiggle" with the Tx turned on - that may find any dodgy connection. Martin's suggestion about waiting 30-60 secs before reconnecting is also worth a try - sometimes this resets things.

BEB

Many of the above suggestions are well worth trying. If tey fails to solve the problem, you could try posting a question over on RCG here.

Andy Kunz, the Spekky software guru, monitors the thread and he will quickly tell you whether you can solve it yourself or if it needs to be sent in.

Pete

David, some time ago my DX8 refused to "boot up" properly. I assumed it was a Tx fault but my son googled it and it transpired that the SD card that was in it had gone faulty. I removed the card and it has been fine since. Could it be a similar problem with yours?

If not, and you try the above suggestions, then it looks like you'll have to find out how well the new service regime works. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

To deal with things in order, Colin the orange bars are not lighting up so it looks as if the RF board has gone.

KC the trainer setting on a DX9 has to be set up each time you want to use the transmitter for training so that is unlikely to be the problem.

Denis, I've gone to monitor but not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. If I move the sticks the little squares move up and down their tracks except for the throttle channel, Mode 2, which is stationary and on full back trim. I have always used the transmitter without the SD card in place, is this wrong? I update it when necessary. I'm not very good with computers. blush

Martin, BEB, Pete and Trevor, thanks for the advice but it really does look as if the RF board's gone so it lokks like I'll have to send it to Germany. I'll try to post it today. I'll let you now how I get on.

It doesn't matter now David, as the whole lot will be repaired, but there is an issue with the throttle pot not working, and it will take them minutes to replace that. If the gimbals were an issue, the monitor would display this, so its not a waste of time checking. I would mention the throttle in the note you send in your package.

If you haven't sent it off to Germany already David you could contact this chap who has a very good reputation. Might be quicker than sending it to Horizon Hobby in Germany by all accounts. Alternatively PM Peter Christie on this forum as he may have some good advice. What he doesn't know about RC and electronics is probably not worth knowing!

I do find it interesting that these Spektrum RF board failures continue to be reported regular basis - there have been at least 4 in total the 3 clubs of which I am a member. I have never seen a similar failure in any other brand (I did blow up my old 27MHz ACOMS 2ch back in the day, but that was user error with a soldering iron!). It seems to point to a design error, most probably in the way the RF circuit powers up and down, or (more worryingly) poor quality manufacturing. Why are HH unable to solve this problem at source? I would have thought their legal department would have given them the hurry up before they end up on the wrong end of a liability claim...

PS - This is not a Spektrum bash; I have been using a DSM2/X module in my Taranis for lightweight foamies with no issues for many years. I am genuinely interested in the answer to this question though.

Posted by Ernie on 15/08/2017 09:38:26:

Hi David, beware..I sent a faulty TX to Germany around 6 months have ago.. It seems to have vanished without trace.

letters, emails etc have been unsuccesful..maybe I should send a gunboat up the Rhine

ernie

Hi Ernie, I sent it via a signed-for service, "Colissimo International I Remise Contre Signature," so I should have some evidence that someone at their address, Hanskamring 9, 22885 Barsbuttel, Gertmany has received it.

I'll keep you all informed.

• 2 weeks later...

Today we made contact with Horizon Hobbies Germany !

A friend had sent his DX9 for repair in August, recorded and insured. He received a confirmation of delivery on 3rd August from Post Office but since then nothing from Germany.

He knew we spend a lot of time in Germany and that my wife speaks fluent German so asked her to help.. He had rung himself , sent e-mails etc but no response. We have family in Germany so have an inexpensive option for phone calls to Germany for up to one hour at a time.

Anyway with all the details the first two calls hit the recorded message and hold etc. A quick call to our daughter in Germany confirmed this was still happening when she rang. So on attempt 3 I said to leave the phone on and we can listen to the music. A few minutes later a live voice. My wife explained everything (in German) and was given a reply of it has arrived but is still not repaired. Arrived 3rd of August BUT we did not open the package until the 30th August !

Ring back tomorrow and we will give you and update. Fingers crossed. .

Geof

Horizon Hobby need to get their act together! They are in danger of going into receivership if they are not careful. After many weeks I got a response from the CEO of HH Europe. He said that they are aware of issues with their service turnaround and are working to resolve it. It doesn't seem as though they are working very hard.

Hello,

Unfortunately we were unable to call Germany HH before they stopped work. I forgot the time difference and we rang at 2.30 pm to be told by reception that service had closed.

Anyway my wife tried this morning and after a few minutes of music got through to the service department.

She was told that my friend's DX9 has been forwarded to America to be repaired. They only have 3 technicians and it is quicker and cheaper for them to do this. It should return to Germany on Friday 15th and hopefully arrive back in England between 18th - 22nd September.

Geof

All conversations on the phone are in German - I am sure it helped..