SLOUGH RC

AndyD

It better be OK just order a model from them on Friday and the money been taken.I would not think there is a problem .I have found for some reason only know to Slough Models that at the weekend or Bank Holidays when the shop is closed the web site does not work ,seems they turn it off or something which to me is strange people still order online at weekends.You will find come Monday the website will be OK .Very Strange !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's strange ?

Obviously the website is hosted by their own server and when they are not working it is switched off, which can save a considerable amount of money (just like an electric fire). Just because some individuals (not all) want everything to be available now for their convenience doesn't mean that businesses have to pamper to them. Whatever Slough Models are doing, it must be right as they are surviving in this age of consumer aggression. I, personally refer to an old fashioned 19th century piece of technology when I have an internet related problem, before taking to the www. It's called a t-e-l-p-h-o-n-e.

Posted by kevin b on 09/09/2017 12:22:16:

What's strange ?

Obviously the website is hosted by their own server and when they are not working it is switched off, which can save a considerable amount of money (just like an electric fire). Just because some individuals (not all) want everything to be available now for their convenience doesn't mean that businesses have to pamper to them. Whatever Slough Models are doing, it must be right as they are surviving in this age of consumer aggression. I, personally refer to an old fashioned 19th century piece of technology when I have an internet related problem, before taking to the www. It's called a t-e-l-p-h-o-n-e.

e lad face 1

Come on chaps - I know we have lost a few companies lately but aren't we being a bit "previous" here. Just because a company's website isn't working over a weekend shouldn't lead us to debating their demise surely?

If you really must contact them today, give them a call. Otherwise wait until Monday - if they are not answering at that point and the web site still isn't working then OK, that is cause for concern. But frankly, I think raising possible alarms at this point is a little bit silly.

BEB

Posted by kevin b on 09/09/2017 12:22:16:

What's strange ?

Kevin, I'm not sure if your answer is "tongue-in-cheek", but just in case it's not;

The website is almost certainly hosted on a server in a datacentre. Even if it's "their own server" it's unlikely to be one they actually own, just one they have exclusive use of rather than shared with other users. It's likely to be a virtual server anyway rather than a physical one. They most certainly will not be switching it off like they do with the lights when they go home at the end of the day!

The thought of switching it off to save money is - to me - a very strange one! I don't think I've *ever* heard of a website that is switched off outside of working hours. But maybe that's because I've only worked in IT for 37 years... Many people work during the working day so can't visit or spend half the day on the telephone to their favourite shops - the web lets them, and me, browse things and place orders at all times of the day and night. A 24/7 web presence is almost essential for most businesses these days.

Anyway, I could go on, but I'm sure your reply was "tongue-in-cheek" so I'll stop now!

Slough's website is back up & running this morning.

Slough Radio Control Models is the trading name of Radio Control Supplies Limited. This is part of the same Group which owns Ripmax and the Group had a net value of just over £2.6million as of last December. Page 21 of the last accounts for the parent (Ultimate Model Corporation Ltd) filed at Companies House list all the Companies in the Group. All the information is available publicly via gov.uk Link to Accounts.