Warbird Replicas Bf 109 club.

Posted by Graham R on 07/01/2018 19:26:18:

Hi Paul, have I missed something? Just wondering why you're showing how to reverse a servo?

Graham due to the way I have fitted my flap servo's one needs to be reversed. i.e. they lay opposite to each other... same as ailerons but need them on one channel both going down together.

Advert

Posted by gillyg1 on 07/01/2018 19:35:22:
Ok Paul, thinking now :- 110 will I have to do this procedure to have the 2 throttle servos travelling in the same direction. ie running of one y lead.? Presumably the same for the flaps? WE thinking of just swapping the red and black at the plug end of the servo lead. Sorry if I've missed something? Cheers Graham

You must change the feedback potentiometer as it provides the output arms position to the controller board. As you reverse the motor you need to reverse the voltage 'sense' for it to work.

Posted by Chris Walby on 07/01/2018 19:48:48:

... why not use a servo reverser (£4.69 -Turnigy Servo Signal Reverser Short Lead) rather than ending up with a bespoke servo that you have to remember its been modified.

PS swapping the black/red changes the supply not the signal and probably won't do the servo any favours

£4.69...!!!!! How extravagant!!cheeky

That's 4 1/2 bags of doughnuts.....!

Where's your priorities man!

Having received my big brown cardboard box, admired the contents and gleaned as much as I can get from the plan and the paperwork I see that Richard forecasts that his model accurately copies the originals in that the take off is , putting it mildly,variable,I once built a Fokker d8 which because of a high stance and very forwards u/c would take of in any one of 360 different directions, irrelevant of where I had pointed it, often giving me stern looks from other club members to the effect that ours was NOT a free flight club and some of the older members were in the heart attack zone. and would I stop causing distress as the plane took off behind me,finally, as I use Spektrum tranny and Lemon receivers, I found out that Lemon provides a small and cheap gyro receive which I swiftly purchased, fitted it for normal operation but gyro on the rudder only and proceeded to try, what a difference , much gain on the rudder kept the Fokker on a pretty straight track and the gyro was switched off when airbourne.

Peace returned to our little field, and I was no longer heard refered to as that little Fokker, no not the plane, YOU!!!

It might be worth a try

Peter

Edited By peter harvey 1 on 16/01/2018 16:50:57

Edited By peter harvey 1 on 16/01/2018 16:52:59

Gyros have been useful for this sought of issue , so we will be interested to here how you get on .

Generally speaking a little common sense is all that is required . Big propeller with course pitch means that gentle use of the throttle and an anticipation of initial swing is all that is required .

To add a little meat to the bone :

The prototype Spitfire " K5054 " was fitted with a fixed pitch two blade propeller which was chosen to provide the maximum possible top speed based on the experience derived from the Schneider Trophy racers .

Consequently , without a variable pitch , the plane was taking off in "top gear" with a lot of the propeller effect at low speed being paddled sideways .

Based on the float plane experience again , the prototype Spitfire began its take off run 35 degrees to the right of "into wind " in order that it actually lifted off into the breeze.

It probably was a bit over the top , but you get the drift ! (pun intended)

Posted by peter harvey 1 on 16/01/2018 16:48:51:

as I use Spektrum tranny and Lemon receivers, I found out that Lemon provides a small and cheap gyro receive which I swiftly purchased, fitted it for normal operation but gyro on the rudder only and proceeded to try, what a difference , much gain on the rudder kept the Fokker on a pretty straight track and the gyro was switched off when airbourne.

It might be worth a try

Peter

Edited By peter harvey 1 on 16/01/2018 16:50:57

Edited By peter harvey 1 on 16/01/2018 16:52:59

Hi Peter..

I too have a Spektrum radio and have a couple of the lemon stabilizers, one of the older rate gain gyro's and the newer stab plus. I would say be wary of the stab plus and use it in rate gain mode as it's idea of level isn't mine!

I have started using the Spektrum AS3X receivers and although it's more expensive they use a heading hold which the lemon hasn't got.

Ask Glynn... he loves them....

This has gone in my 109..

20180116_174134.jpg

While I think of it locating the wing dowel is a little bit of a challenge as you can't get to the front of the location hole to mark the wing, so I came up with this idea....

20180116_180114.jpg

Good ol'e plasticine

The line of gorilla glue that was used for the u/c has yet to be trimmed from the left wheel well.... in case you hawk eye's amongst you ask...cheeky

As Paul said I have been playing with Spectrum's standalone AS3X Stab unit, I picked up two of these £100+ units and have fitted one in my high wing trainer, it made me look like a fantastic smooth flyer. The damn thing was auto landing, as you throttled back it would feed elevator in so that the glide path was perfect. We are going to try it in one of Richards planes when the weather is better. They are great for when the wind is above your skill level as the plane behaves as its a calm day. P.S. It was totally disconnected when I took my "A" test, that was all me.

Glynn

BTW , for those that were waiting , I have some more of the 109 and 110 pilots in stock .

(also some servo reversers for those not as clever as Paul (that's me !) £3.

I think we all need to try and liven this thread up and the 110 other wise poor old Paul is going to feel he is shouting down a well . So lets have some comments , discussion or better still pictures .

Well...pun intendid...

I have a little progress to report. I have drilled and fitted the pieces of 10mm carbon fibre tube in the wing for the bolts. A trick one of our guys told me about. I have all the servo's in the wing, flaps connected. Progressing on sanding the tips. Won't be long before the wing is ready to be covered!

20180119_070853.jpg

Me please for the pilots for both 109 and 110 Richard.

Work on the 109 will start as soon as I’ve finished the LA-7 which has been delayed due to the arrival of the Easy Street plus a re-engine project on my Taylor Craft (petrol to Laser 155). LA-7 work with restart end of next week, so I’m about 3 weeks behind schedule!

Morning all I'm begining to think we need to start a submarine build!
Just realized in the wing picture you can see the fuz in the background and there is a visible join line on the gun bulges. In case this causes any confusion my kit didn't have the foam top deck pre cut as yours are. I placed my removable deck at the real aircraft hinge line for the engine panel line. This meant cutting the gun bulge in two. Your kit's have this moved forward to F2 so this is not a problem.
Anyone made a start on theirs yet?
Having researched the 109 a bit now have you noticed just how much engine is shoe horned into that space and just how little is actually holding it in!

No, I've not managed to make a start at all. I took delivery just after Christmas. Thanks to Richard he kept hold of the box until I was able to arrange delivery. I've had time to get it all out of the box, pack it all back in the box and then return to work abroad. That's where it will sit for some considerable months I'm afraid, together with the 110.

The worst thing is that I have the time over here to build, I could easily bring the tools over but I'd never get the parts back again. Everything has to fit in a medium suitcase and nothing worth building will fit in for the return journey. Luckily I fly UAV's here so I whilst I do get a form of modelling fun it's nowhere near 'normal' model flying. I fly, fix and repair the planes along with the amazing DJI Phantom, that has to do for the moment.

Well Bucksboy when work allows you will enjoy the build.

Considering the lovely flying weather today I managed to start a little tail work. The bottom of the tail foam and skin were carefully removed to fit the tail ply supports. These fit OUTSIDE of the main frames so a smal smount of foam has to be removed. With the two supports glued in place the foam veneer sides were glued on using gorilla glue to fill any voids and give a good join.

Before I go much further here I need to decide on the best options on running the control snakes to the rudder and elevator.

20180121_170111.jpg

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 21/01/2018 21:21:41

Hi Paul, sorry to have left you leading the way for us on the 109 build. I have been busy trying to finish refurbishing a few of the old models before starting a new project.

i hope to be starting mine within the next few weeks. I wonder how DD is getting on with his.

Hi Graham.
I'm looking forward to see how the changes that I fed back to Richard work out.
I still have one or two head scratching moments but it's a great build.I am currently working on how to sort out the rubiks cube.... err tail linkages. But will have that sorted before you get there.

DD who?

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 23/01/2018 07:04:23