Is it a scam trying to get my Hobbyking details?

i12fly

I just had an email, says from Hobbyking, that I've left something in my cart and not completed the order, and that I should follow a link. I didn't because I know it isn't true and just deleted the email. It was just headed 'Hi' which made me suspicious.

Advert

Have had email's in the past from a couple of online stores in the US, Motion RC was one when I was window shopping and checking freight costs. I left something in the cart but did not complete the transaction.

Certainly Hi is a bit suspicious. I would go to HK log in and check if there is anything is sitting in your cart, that is if you have actually been there recently.

If you have ANY doubt whatsoever about an email being genuine, DO NOT follow the supplied link

Go the the site and log in normally and look, in this case at your cart

HK might send links but it is against best practices and in the financial industry it is contrary to FCA code of conduct to send links - so if you get an email from a Bank with a link DO NOT OPEN IT no matter how genuine looking it seems

I suspect it probably was genuine in fact.....many online sites record your visit via cookies & it's not unusual for the site (if it recognises you) to send an email "reminding" you to finish off your purchase; indeed this is a well known "method" to attract extra discount....add something to the basket then leave the site. Many online traders will contact you with a "special offer" such as "an extra 5% to complete your purchase".

All that said it pays to be cautious & Mr Hopkins advise is very wise & sensible....thumbs up

I think it's genuine. I left something in my HK cart a few weeks ago without deleting it or completing the purchase & have had the message -

"Left something behind?"
"Hi ,
We've noticed you've left something in your cart. It's not too late to seal the deal and complete your order...."

If I had decided to complete the order I'd have ignored any link in the email & gone to the HK site in the normal way.

No - I hadn't left anything either - so I thought - but there was something despite it not showing in the 'cart'.

That was yesterday - I just deleted the item, closed down and thought nothing of it - after reading the current messages I've followed the advice of the more savvy contributors and changed my password. As I have a 'backup' email address, would it be safer to use that for HK in future, or is that overkill?