All very nice, but who cares?

ChrisB

Advert

Look on the bright side; on the day of the wedding, most of the population will be glued to their TVs, so you can go and do stuff where the crowds are not (fly in the local sports field or whatever). Also all those foreign correspondents over here for here for the lead-up and the event itself will be filling our hotels, restaurants and, in turn, the country's coffers.

I do find the idea of a family that bestows titles and awards on each other all a bit bizarre, but the general idea of the country having a figurehead who isn't a snout in the trough politician has a definite advantage.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 27/11/2017 22:12:57

Posted by Don Fry on 27/11/2017 21:06:22:

I do love a man who keeps his idealism. I would point out the lady is not yet pregnant. The journos have years running with this story.

How do you know? Inside knowledge? surprise

I'm really pleased for them but then I would be really pleased for any couple who are getting married especially if I don't have to attend the ceremony. Anyway, weddings aren't all that important but marriages are and they are a big deal for me.

Sadly, I'm of an age where funerals are considerably more common than weddings.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 27/11/2017 22:22:34adly, I'm of an age where funerals are considerably more common than weddings.

Geoff

Sadly, you're not alone! Its bad enough when acquaintances older than you keel over, but when friends and colleagues *younger* than you start dropping, it is something of a wake-up call!

Good luck to 'em, sez I, but did we really need wall to wall coverage of it? Still, I suppose you could say it makes a change to have a "good news" story for once.....

--

Pete

Posted by Peter Jenkins on 28/11/2017 00:41:07:
Posted by Tom Thomas on 27/11/2017 23:51:35:

Can't stand the "royals" full stop.

It'll be a baby next..... dont know

I take it you prefer an elected head of state? Trump? He was elected!

Not getting drawn into that debate!

As for not being able to help who they are? None of us can! But we can chose our path.

Anyway, it's off topic, I scrolled through my online news feeds tonight, ( no I'm not on Facebook) and 40% of it was ridiculous speculation over this engagement!

Yes, that are two "people" in love (as it stands) and again yes, it's lovely they are making it official/legal.

But I get the overwhelming sense that the tabloids will try to find the smallest crumb of a tale to keep it in the headlines and those (like me and others) are already considering it non news.

I hold my hands up, I don't think it worthy of too much page inches, but! I also know that many others do.

So, lets all take control of what we read/view and leave it at that.

Today would be the last day that I would buy a newspaper ( I only buy the Western Morning News about once a month, then, for the puzzle pages).

The press is all sweetness and light today but the moment the poor couple get a parking ticket or are seen eating the wrong kind of couscous by the establishment press, it will be doomsday. Leave them alone. Sure they want to shout their love from the rooftops...so what. 

Edited By cymaz on 28/11/2017 06:47:59

Edited By cymaz on 28/11/2017 06:48:17