1/6 Westland Whirlwind

A quick overview of the repair and strengthening of the wing in January and February.

I repaired the broken spar and added a second one. Another one from spruce was placed aft for less torsion. I've had a balsa spar in front of the flaps to keep it light behind the center of gravity, but obviously that wasn't enough for a failed landing. I also increased spar strength on the outer wings to keep overall strength comparable. In the end I was really quick with placing new spars.

Lots of Yorshire tea and a bottle of Somerset cider surely helps 😉 

Timo

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

IMG_4480.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG

IMG_4657.JPG

IMG_4715.JPG

IMG_4884.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

IMG_4922.JPG

IMG_5018.JPG

IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

IMG_5334.JPG

IMG_5351.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

Edited by Timo Starkloff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

After the repairs I did five short flights to check if everythings ok and to get myself used to a proper landing pattern. Three weeks later the weather hasn't improved but today I chose an hour without rain (just plenty of wind at low temperatures) to make another testflight. First time up in the air with spinners and the looks are improved considerably!

The Whirlwind flew steady despite wind gusts. The improved rudder linkage and reduced control throws helped and I think the spinners reduced turbulence, too.

Flight #10 was a great satisfaction since I'm getting used to the model and if flying in strong wind is no problem, I can look forward to spring and summer 🙂

Timo

IMG_6508.JPG

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6516.JPG

• Like 6

On 06/03/2023 at 21:19, Timo Starkloff said:

A proper mug and a present from my wife last Christmas 🙂

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5303.JPG

My workmates bought me that mug years ago - still my favourite  and still use it for breakfast only on days when I'm going flying. Just need to have a Beaufort to complete the set - I always thought it was a strange choice to put on that mug - surely a Mosquito or Beaufighter would have been a more obvious choice. 🙂 

Your Whirlwind looks superb Timo - very impressive.😎

• 1 month later...

No colours yet, but I'm counting flights. Actually it's around 35 and already there were two special ones. A nice Sunday morning formation with two great Fw 190s from friends with whom I have flown aircombat contests before (no dogfight in that case). Another formation with the Me 110 from another friend was flown on a Saturday eveneing with great clouds as background and a warm light, unfortunately no pictures of the models in flight.

The Whirlwind is doing fine. I'm getting used to it, started training some basic aerobatic maneuvers and try to improve start and landing. There's plenty of power so I have to adjust the start procedure for not lifting up after 20 meters...

But a friend took some great pictures of the flying Whirlwind. One is remarkably similar to an RAF one from the 1940s, although at a different angle 🙂

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/whirlwind/whirlwind-6/

Timo

IMG_7135.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7299.JPG

IMG_7303.JPG

IMG_7305.JPG

P1020267.JPG

P1020274.JPG

P1020275.JPG

P1020279.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still no paint applied, but now close to sixty flights and nearly all of the minor issues solved. The Whirlwind is now an easy flying every day model 🙂

With the wide speed range, long flight duration and stable flying characteristics it's especially great for formation flights with all kind of other models.

Timo

DSC_2880.JPG

DSC_2881.JPG

DSC_2882.JPG

DSC_2883.JPG

DSC_2894.JPG

IMG_9297.JPG

IMG_9323.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

• Like 12

22 hours ago, Timo Starkloff said:

Still no paint applied, but now close to sixty flights and nearly all of the minor issues solved. The Whirlwind is now an easy flying every day model 🙂

With the wide speed range, long flight duration and stable flying characteristics it's especially great for formation flights with all kind of other models.

Timo

DSC_2880.JPG

DSC_2881.JPG

DSC_2882.JPG

DSC_2883.JPG

DSC_2894.JPG

IMG_9297.JPG

IMG_9323.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

Hi Timo,

I think all your projects are truly amazing and this Wirlwind is no exception,an absolutely gorgeous work of art! I really would love to see all of your designs from the simplist to the most complicated printed as plans in RCM&E for others to enjoy in time. So how about it good Sir?

Keep up the good work. 

Many Thanks And Kind Regards 

Steve😎👌👍