APC tiny bite

Tom Major

Hi.

As some of you know, my old P.A.W. is now soaking in fuel in an attempt to free contrapiston from cylinder liner. I figured out that I could finally test run little .10FP after major cleaning and putting new gaskets in.

So I got everything ready and went out. Spinner I chose didn't really like my starter, so of course I started to flick prop by hand. It did kick back few times, but my fingers were so cold I didn't feel anything, just carried on.

It was getting dark already, but I noticed some dark fluid on the prop, much darker than Contest 10 I was using.

image.jpeg

Then I had a look at kicked finger and noticed tiny cut and some blood dripping down. I packed all my stuff with dissappointment and went to wash my hands, also pulled away those little bits of skin hanging loose.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Funny thing that I told her indoors just few minutes before going out that APC props are known as rotating scalpel blades .

The point of this post is not to cry and look for compassion, I'll live laugh. I just wanted to post it as a reminder to always be as safe as possible and minimise the risk involved. I didn't and got a quick lesson, am also very happy it was just a little kick and not a proper cut at 10k rpm - don't think I'd be able to glue my finger back where it once was...

What a rookie mistake laughlaughlaugh

Advert

Hi Tom . Sand down the flashing on any prop before hand starting especially APC props ,they are lethal . Sand until you get a smooth blunt edge then check for balance by balancing the prop on a spindle . Sand the heavy prop until it stays where you put it . Glow engines will become with an electric starter as they have lower compression ratio. 

Edited By Engine Doctor on 12/12/2017 17:27:05

I've never had one before and tbh was quite surprised when I saw what it did. In the past I got kicked by Master Airscrew, Zingers mounted on 2 strokes and four strokes, Cox props, few electric props and some others, only bled once or twice as far as I remember. Now this was just a touch. Nasty little things them APCs smiley

If you had put that skin chip back into place with a firm dressing it would have been fine in a few days Frog and KK props both Nylon and plastic were notorious for sharp flashings. I used to scrape them off with a knife.Not try and cut them as you could nick the prop which would lead to loads of work to correct the problem

Nothing wrong with them out of the packet. De sharpen them loses efficiency. Use a stick, or a stater. Don't touch.

Edit. I am blessed with a short SWMBO. She has never noticed that broom handles are eight inches shorter in use than at point of sale.

Edited By Don Fry on 12/12/2017 19:11:28

Don Fry
I am law abiding citizen laugh.

Onetenor
Yeah but it would be pretty annoying for next few days. I need my hands to be sort of operational as I work with dogs that weight more than I do and some of them do pull a lot .

I have an old valve grinding stick that is not used at all, think I will keep it at hand just in case. I also think my electric starter rubber insert might need to be replaced as it doesn't grip very well.

I was doing pit crew in combat. My assistant didn't hold the model properly. The prop broke on my thumb bone resulting in three stitches and a weeks leave spent sitting with my thumb held up level with me head.to ease the throbbing

The owner of the model said "You broke my prop" and the next day complained that he could not get the blood stains of his cylinder head.!!

I wouldn't recommend using a regular sized starter on such a small diesel engine, if you're slightly over compressed there's a very real risk of seriously damaging the motor!! Small 1/2A size starters are o.k. if you can find one otherwise it's a chicken stick or a thick glove.

I've found the broom handle chicken stick that I use much more comfortable with an old motorcycle handlebar grip pushed on. It also acts as a bit of shock absorber for the odd kick-backs! APC props out of the packet or even with the edge toned down will easily cut through a rubber chicken finger with a 1/8" wall.

I always use a chicken stick on the odd occasion I fly with a liquid fuelled power source. It's a piece of dowel about the thickness of broom stale with a soft rubber handle I pushed on. It really is very effective and actually spins the engine quicker than you can with a finger because of the increased lever length - think of ancient spear throwers that use the same principle.

So not only safer but more effective.

Geoff

This post should have come with a warning about blood and gore - it fair made me feel giddy.

In the first club I belonged to we had a young lad about 15 or so who got a nick from a prop while trying to start his little OS, he fainted right out, took a couple of minutes before he was back with us and had to sit down for a while afterwards although he fully recovered after about ten minutes.