Electric Cars.

Cuban8

But at 500 quid, that's an economy bike. My wife's machine has a 50 volt battery, 10 amp hours.

It covers IRO 50 mile. It folds, Made of carbon. My backside is sore before I have half used the battery.

A modern electric bike is a practical solution to train/car/bike commuting. I use mine a lot as a local shopper bike. It's as fast as a car whizzing round the village, and I am built as a (slightly misshaped) sex God, not Apollo.

But point taken, batteries will develop, but it's going to take a lot longer that a lot of people believe it will.

Posted by Don Fry on 23/07/2019 07:06:19:

But at 500 quid, that's an economy bike. My wife's machine has a 50 volt battery, 10 amp hours.

It covers IRO 50 mile. It folds, Made of carbon. My backside is sore before I have half used the battery.

A modern electric bike is a practical solution to train/car/bike commuting. I use mine a lot as a local shopper bike. It's as fast as a car whizzing round the village, and I am built as a (slightly misshaped) sex God, not Apollo.

But point taken, batteries will develop, but it's going to take a lot longer that a lot of people believe it will.

At least with an electric bike you can keep pedaling if you run out of battery power and get home, not really an option with an electric car sad

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 23/07/2019 09:54:34:

Reminds me of my first moped a step thru with pedals, it had a 1/2 gal fuel tank, I only ran out of petrol once and had to pedal 3 miles home.................... never did it again............................

Been there, Frank, and heartily agree. Mine was an NSU Quickly (an oxymoron if I ever heard oneteeth 2). ISTR spending more time pedalling it than being propelled....crook

Pete

Mike

My apologies. My response was cut and pasted from Google Docs and I was not aware that bold was considered shouting, so my bad.

Thank you for the link to the document. It and others on the site may help me finally get my head around vehicle leasing, so again thanks for that.

idd

Mike

My apologies. My response was cut and pasted from Google Docs and I was not aware that bold was considered shouting, so my bad.

Thank you for the link to the document. It and others on the site may help me finally get my head around vehicle leasing, so again thanks for that.

idd

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 23/07/2019 08:09:22:

At least with an electric bike you can keep pedaling if you run out of battery power and get home, not really an option with an electric car sad

It was on the only electric road vehicle I've experienced first hand - a Sinclair C5 around a car park.

Perhaps that explains my lack of urgency to embrace the technology!

P.S. I wonder if anyone has done a LiPo conversion on a C5 yet?

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/07/2019 13:28:54

Posted by IDD15 on 23/07/2019 13:11:20:

Mike

idd

No problem.

I will assume that the double postings and getting my name wrong were accidental as well.

smiley

IDD,

On the subject of errors (!), I noticed that the link that I provided does not take you to the first page of the article and that the last two digits of the link should be 39 not 41. That said, you may have worked out that you can go back or forwards within the web page tabs at the bottom of each page.

Hope you find (or found!) it interesting.

I did, even as one who, with a limited budget, is unlikely for the foreseeable future to be able to buy into EV even I wanted to!

smiley

Although the present Government have committed the UK to electric vehicles by certain dates, it is apparent that the plan is not to fund the necessary infrastructure from Government funding.

I can only deduce that, as well having read suggestions that the development of the necessary facilitates will come from the private sector if a profit can be made. If not. well?

It has surprised me that some local councils have plans to build their own green energy primary supplies and in some cases to install their own charging systems, The first thing that struck me is that the funds are available, as all, or most claim they are cash strapped. The second is that fag packet calculations indicate that the repayment period appears to be in excess of 20 years.

From recent publications it indicates that the UK cost of electricity is twice that of both Germany and France to industrial users. I hope that the various grants and suppletory charges are quickly phased out, so that it becomes far easier to understand what the real cost of Green Energy is relative to the alternatives.

As for electric cars, the cost of running them will of necessity increase, to both pay for the infrastructure in generation, distribution and to compensate for the lost revenue from Carbon type fuels.

I recently spent some time in a show room enquiring about both fully electric cars and hybrids. In the case of hybrids the benefits seem very small, being told that approx 20 miles on electric power is the max, I guess hence that inner London congestion charging does not except them. With respect to fully electric, that all the arguments with respect to heaters and air conditioning appear to be true in that the vehicle turns of the various features as the energy remaining drops. It also appears that the particular company that I was looking at was not in a great rush to build and sell electric cars until they had cracked various issues and also their is a lot of capital investment in existing production units,

laughPosted by Keith Miles 2 on 23/07/2019 14:58:24:

Oh, forgot to mention that when looking at the What Car review of the Kia E-Niro that the reviewers name is, apparently, Doug Revolta!

Revolution and volt?

Coincidence or did he make that up to get the job?

😊

laughlaughlaugh Good one!

Yes the article was interesting and quite eye opening. My son made a comment the other day about the costs of cars and running them, and how many people of his age (early twenties) don't. It is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few years transport wise for sure.

Thanks again for the link to those articles, I've got a few now on my to read list.

idd

I just watched a couple of videos by a Youtuber called Cabbie007. He's just started using a Kia E-Niro in his private hire business, and on his first 12-hour shift covered 236 miles with over 30% of battery capacity left. He then spent quite some time recharging at a public charger, because it was a free one, although he could have charged it overnight at home.

On another video, he tried comparing aircon on and off ranges, and the aircon knocked 19 miles off the range, so not too bad.

Quite an investment for him to have made, but potential for huge savings on running costs for his business, even if he pays for his electricity for the convenience of home charging.

Tom

Who have Cheshire East gone with? Good grief, Macclesfield might even get a charge point!

Erf

Think that is a very succinct assessment of where things are at. Are 20 year investments though such a bad thing? After all I think we have all complained about short termism in one form or other at some point in this thread! smiley

So give us the gossip then, to which dealership were you talking to?

idd

IDD15

The problem with 20years, is that the equipment will probably no longer be viable, also it seemed to ignore administrate costs, maintenance cost, probably much more. Typically this could be interest paid or lost if the money is already held. Perhaps what most bothered me was that the money could be found, when councils etc. are constantly saying they cannot provide a proper service due to ratepayers and central government not providing enough money.

The only reason I did not state the manufacturer is i cannot be sure how reliable the information is and what the official position the company has. It was very interesting to me in that i stated i wanted a vehicle that would reliably undertake a round trip journey of 140 miles daily, without charging, in the depths of winter and extremes of summer. You will all recognise what i want, heated seats, windscreen demisting, cabin heating and air conditioning to maintain 20C. Of necessity there would be quite a bit of stop and start driving. His opinion that i would be pushing the extremes of the capability of the vehicle, under some conditions.Although the vehicle was supposed to have 250 mile range

I told him i has seen a large Limo type in Berlin, being charged and that I was unaware such a vehicle was available. Apparently there are a number of development vehicles in various locations, which are revealing some challenges that were not anticipated, One of which is battery maintenance, the least issue is the earthing requirements when changing cells and that cell reliability is an area of development.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 23/07/2019 22:31:03:
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/07/2019 22:18:16:

The trouble with an 84 page thread is that posters are loathe to read what has been said a hundred times before. wink

And if you try to start a second thread the moderators will slap you down.

Believe me Tom, given the amount of time the mods have had to devote to monitoring this thread, there won't be an opportunity for a second electric car thread.....dont know

Pete