Spring 2018 is here...been flying?

cymaz

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 09/05/2018 18:20:53:

If you have seen the news, keep away from BMW laugh

Edited By Tom Sharp 2 on 09/05/2018 18:21:42

I sat in an X1 and felt claustrophobic then I checked out the luggage area. The only thing worse for boot space so far was an X-trail. BMW - no thanks even if it doesn't self-ignite!

Advert

There is a reason why I have not posted if I have been flying, just to busy, even now time is pressing.

As for flying, on Thursday I went down (or is that up) to the field. Took my folding chair out of the boot, and set it down in the pits. Then took out my four models out of the car over a four hour period. Then alternating between flying and recovering spent the late morning and up to mid-afternoon at the field. All the time, the sun beat down, not a breath of wind, is this really the Fylde i thought. My Sun records cap protecting my bald head, a tent like shirt from that orb that I thought had deserted us, do we need a human sacrifice to placate the Gods?

Friday arrived and it was ditto, with a few more people.

Saturday, I could only just get in the car park, the roads into Lytham St Annes, had been clogged with day trippers. But now I was here. There was a difference though, I managed to crash my Dornier 355 on launch, after fine adjustments to make it a better flier. Oh Dear.

Ah, what about Sunday, would I be allowed out to play? A Golf Tournament had the better half competing. So it was back to the field. Retuning home is now a challenge, those dammed holiday makers.

Monday arrives, I will surely be dragged out for a day out. But no, another Golf Tournament to be played. I was hoping that it would go better than the Saturday tournament, as some one was in a foul mood. Any way, up to the field another great day. All this flying and sitting has ruined my camping chair, I now need another. The holiday makers are no longer to be seen. Rounded the day of at a barbecue at daughter No.1, with a few glasses of wine, reflecting how good life could be with Global Warming.

As to the Dornier, pretty much fixed now.

Edited By Erfolg on 09/05/2018 20:38:16

It seems that everyone is out flying, as the posts have pretty much stopped, now that the sun has returned.

I must admit, while stuck in a traffic jam last week on the M6, due to making a journey that was absolutely necessary, well, the journey was the jam was not. After sitting there for about a hour, passing a few signs, alluding to a fire, thinking about missing a flying opportunity, the responsible vehicle, came passingly into view. Not a BMW as some would have predicted, something that suspiciously looked like a Citroen. I then thought that the other recent car that caught fire and was a total burn out, was a Vauxhall, a then neighbours Zafira.

Like so much, everything comes to those who wait. In this case both Saturday and Sunday down at the field. I spent a good 4 hours there. The sun is always in the perfect position at our club, that is because of the location of the flight line relative to the sun. The grass has been cut to an inch of its life, in anticipation of the 20th of May Fly -In. I am guessing that it is having another shave again, just to be sure.

Just to mention the Blackpool and Fylde Fly-In has been extensively advertised, open to all BMFA members with a A or B certificate. The site regularly flies jets, Large Models as well as us ordinary modelers with our park models.

As to my flying, well the Do 335 has been repaired and flown again. My PZ Albatross is also fling as always, and a few other models. The great thing is to take in the sun. sat in a chair, looking down from the ridge at the coast and tower in the distance, probably 5-7 miles away.

A great venue not to be missed. Particularly if the sound system and catering are provided as last year. Hmm i should have found out. Must be one of the best venues in the NW.

5 out first thing. North wind kept it cool. E FLITE Convergence didn’t like the wind though ! My Hughes 500 was ok. A Bixler copped it in the wind unfortunately ! Colleagues HK Voltigeur is at last flying well after a change of esc. The original packed up on first two maidens. It’s been repaired well, it was a right mess ! Of course everything worked after each crash making the diagnosis difficult as it was brand new. Colin

Posted by Erfolg on 15/05/2018 13:49:34:

It seems that everyone is out flying, as the posts have pretty much stopped, now that the sun has returned.

I must admit, while stuck in a traffic jam last week on the M6, due to making a journey that was absolutely necessary, well, the journey was the jam was not. After sitting there for about a hour, passing a few signs, alluding to a fire, thinking about missing a flying opportunity, the responsible vehicle, came passingly into view. Not a BMW as some would have predicted, something that suspiciously looked like a Citroen. I then thought that the other recent car that caught fire and was a total burn out, was a Vauxhall, a then neighbours Zafira.

Like so much, everything comes to those who wait. In this case both Saturday and Sunday down at the field. I spent a good 4 hours there. The sun is always in the perfect position at our club, that is because of the location of the flight line relative to the sun. The grass has been cut to an inch of its life, in anticipation of the 20th of May Fly -In. I am guessing that it is having another shave again, just to be sure.

Just to mention the Blackpool and Fylde Fly-In has been extensively advertised, open to all BMFA members with a A or B certificate. The site regularly flies jets, Large Models as well as us ordinary modelers with our park models.

As to my flying, well the Do 335 has been repaired and flown again. My PZ Albatross is also fling as always, and a few other models. The great thing is to take in the sun. sat in a chair, looking down from the ridge at the coast and tower in the distance, probably 5-7 miles away.

A great venue not to be missed. Particularly if the sound system and catering are provided as last year. Hmm i should have found out. Must be one of the best venues in the NW.

Hope weathers good for your event Erf, some pictures would be nice plus a report from a local modeller. wink

Edited By john stones 1 on 15/05/2018 15:29:46

Out flying today albeit a bit breezy! Maiden flight of U Can Do but was limited to just that one flight as engine kept losing its jet settings (second hand Laser 80). 4 nice flights with WotsvWot XL and 4 with FMS Olympus. So all in all a great day of flying.

John

I will ask our secretary for some pictures and possible words. I may be able to get a bit of video. That is because some others are talented.

It is worth mentioning that the NW Area of the BMFA has provided some sponsorship to help the event happen for all BMFA members (with an A or B cert), where ever they live, if they choose to come. They will be welcomed.

The Blackpool and Fylde Fly-in has been and gone. It was a resounding success.

It is worth reminding ourselves why it was held. The club is part of the local community and the open day nature of a fly-in helps the club to maintain and build up a good relationship with the community at all levels and ages. The club is aware that the age of mass competition as all but passed into history. The Nationals being the one big one, other events often struggle to get 6 or there about competitors. The Fylde event attracted over 200 people, over 50 models were present. The emphasis was on having fun, meeting other similar interested people, seeing models that you otherwise would not see.

The NW Area of the BMFA supports (a sponcer) such events to support the majority of its membership, beyond just being an insurance agent. Supporting various indoor events as a Sponsor, as well as putting together a program of educational support.

We had visitors from Cumbria, the Eden Valley, the Wirral, Manchester, Liverpool Blackburn the list just goes on.

These are shots of the pit area

wp_20180520_11_04_37_pro.jpg

wp_20180520_11_04_56_pro.jpg

wp_20180520_11_06_36_pro.jpg

The early morning que is beginning. The Fokker is a D6, with a 3 cylinder radial

wp_20180520_11_11_42_pro.jpg

Then more started to que. A fantastic Shoestring in the for ground.

wp_20180520_11_29_14_pro.jpg

The above Vulcan was the best flying DF or prop driven model I have seen to date. Driven by a single 90 Schnurble? fan unit.

wp_20180520_11_10_59_pro.jpg

There were numerous jets, more than you could shake a stick at, unfortunately of little interest to me, as were the very large scale 3d aircraft with +50cc and much bigger engines, which i did not take a single picture intentionally.

wp_20180520_12_35_17_pro.jpg

This hot liner was so fast, I still do not believe it actually flew, the owner picking it up, then hiding it, then putting it back down, although I did see the Blue shift as I was told it approached, although i only saw a red blur.

wp_20180520_13_08_01_pro.jpg

The sound system, that played music all day, no Rammstein though, very sad.

wp_20180520_12_32_18_pro.jpg

The catering section, at times the que was about 20 long. I did not indulge, already having a weight problem.

See you all at next years event!

Edited By Erfolg on 22/05/2018 20:36:32

Edited By Erfolg on 22/05/2018 20:39:40

We had a club bungee gliding event on Saturday with BBQ, and drinks etc. 24 out of 80 members attended and many remained after the event to do some conventional flying.

I was at the field from 8 til 8 on both Saturday and Sunday and had about 20 flights throughout the weekend. Flat calm and sunny! The best weekend in a long time!!

Well, It's certainly been perfect flying weather lately but the wind seems to have picked up today and looks to be quite fresh for the next few days. I've been flying winter build project quite a lot and I'm very happy with it so far. The DB Gypsy (Cirrus) Moth I spent most of the winter building flies beautifully and, unlike my Tiger Moth, stall turns both ways as well as rolls reasonably well.

_mg_5636.jpg

Since this picture was taken I've added shirring elastic flying and landing wires and sruts to the tail plane so it looks a little more scale. The 4S 4000 mAH LiPo has sufficient energy for comfortable 8 minute flights with plenty in hand (about 35%) for 10 minutes but I find the 8 quite enough for me.

On Saturday I successfully landed my Percival Mew Gull without its nosing over for the first time which pleased me no end. It also has enough energy in its 6S 4500mAH for decent length flights and power to spare.

airfield 6 dec 2017.jpg

I've fitted bigger wheels and angled the u/c legs much further forward. I just hope the spats still fit!

I managed to repair my Ballerina after it's unfortunate crash in which the fuselage broke completely in half (my tight fisted use of fuselage doublers that were too small to be made in one piece made a weak point where I'd joined them. I won't do that again!). It too has provided some enjoyable flying.

Lets hope the last few days is the harbinger of a decent summer for once.

Geoff

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 23/05/2018 08:31:28:

That's the trouble with being a pensioner, we don't get any holidays like you workers.

....................................................................................................................................

well said tom...the youngins don't realize that its hard work doing nothing properly....

ken anderson...ne..1...... no work dept.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 23/05/2018 08:31:28:

That's the trouble with being a pensioner, we don't get any holidays like you workers.

Yes, it sure is tough. I mean I used to be on my bike every morning at 6.30 cycling the 13 miles to work and really enjoying the ride, especially in winter. Now I'm in bed 'til 8.30 listening to John Humphrys et al and getting depressed at the state of the world.

Ah well, back to the grind, studying the drawings for my next creation

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 22/05/2018 23:07:25:

Well, It's certainly been perfect flying weather lately but the wind seems to have picked up today and looks to be quite fresh for the next few days. I've been flying winter build project quite a lot and I'm very happy with it so far. The DB Gypsy (Cirrus) Moth I spent most of the winter building flies beautifully and, unlike my Tiger Moth, stall turns both ways as well as rolls reasonably well.

_mg_5636.jpg

Since this picture was taken I've added shirring elastic flying and landing wires and sruts to the tail plane so it looks a little more scale. The 4S 4000 mAH LiPo has sufficient energy for comfortable 8 minute flights with plenty in hand (about 35%) for 10 minutes but I find the 8 quite enough for me.

Geoff

That looks lovely Geoff, even better with some rigging I'd imagine.

It's very interesting that you mention the differences, I took my DB Cirrus and Tiger Moths out at the weekend and there's a huge difference in characteristics.

The Cirrus Moth is very easy to fly indeed, pretty much just point and go.

Tiggie, on the other hand, is like flying a 3 channel model that's had small ailerons added without removing any dihedral, if you see what I mean?

I takes a lot of persuading before it decides it's actually going to obey a command to turn, then when it does it needs full opposite aileron to keep the inboard wing from dropping massively. It's quite a challenge to fly. But then, so is the full size.

Is the difference really just the sweep of the wings acting just as dihedral would?

Chris.