'Great News' !

Ronaldo

Finished my Ben Buckle 'Great News', modded for electric.

Cowl and lipo battery hatch held on with magnets. Cowl removal allows full access to motor and esc.

The tailplane is now fixed rather than held on with rubber bands as per plan.

I fitted a closed loop rudder which was simpler than bending awkward angles on a pushrod to reach the rudder horn

The 'Great News' on the wing was done by printing it onto A4 self adhesive inkjet vinyl, cutting out the letters by hand with a scalpel and new blade to make a 'stencil' masking film. Then sprayed over with the same blue paint trim.

Now just waiting for some half decent weather to take to the sky !

img_20180401_185037.jpgimg_20180401_184743.jpgimg_20180401_184257.jpgimg_20180401_183610.jpgimg_20180401_182205.jpgimg_20180401_182143.jpgimg_20180401_181138.jpg

Thanks DaveyP.

I covered it with vintage yellow solartex, gave it 2 coats of 50/50 thinned dope. The paint is Halfords acrylic car paint, Fiat Capri Blue. A very nice paint, but was a bit expensive as you don't get much paint in a can, but once I started I had to carry on, also I loved the colour. Will look for a cheaper paint on my next build. Then finally I sprayed it all with 1 coat of clear lacquer.

As you may know, sadly solartex is no longer in production sad, but luckily I have enough left for another couple of models. After that I will have to find an alternative covering.

Congrats on a lovely model. If she flies as well as she looks (and I'm sure she will) then it'll be a trouble free maiden.

What is the drive train? motor, esc, battery. I'm always interested in other people's selections having done a few myself. I use a similar cowl attachment method with pegs into the firewall but attach with 3mm set screws accesses from the rear via the battery hatch.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 03/04/2018 16:34:38:

Congrats on a lovely model. If she flies as well as she looks (and I'm sure she will) then it'll be a trouble free maiden.

What is the drive train? motor, esc, battery. I'm always interested in other people's selections having done a few myself. I use a similar cowl attachment method with pegs into the firewall but attach with 3mm set screws accesses from the rear via the battery hatch.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff and everyone else for your comments (not sure I can wait till July 19th BEB, may have to fit floats for my club field lol)

I'm using a tried and tested Prop Drive 5050 580k outrunner from Hobbyking, an 80amp Turnigy Plush esc with a separate castle 10amp bec, 5s lipo, and a 15x8 prop. This same setup works very well in another model, but I'm told it may be a little overpowered in the Great News, will have to see.

Good job!

I am a great lover of all things Ben Buckle and my current eye candy is the Playboy. Unbelievable that these vintage models are still so popular today. How many of the current crop of "must have" models will still be around in 60+ years time?. One minor issue though...........they MUST have a decent four stroke installed for the true vintage experience!!

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/04/2018 15:54:07:

Lovely job Ronaldo! She looks gorgous.

I bet you are looking foward to those warm summers' evenings with her just floting round the circuit. I've been told it will be July 19th between 7:15pm and 7:38pm this year wink 2

Enjoy!

BEB

Ah...an optimistic forecaster! 23 mins , as long as that!hot. BTW, excellent work Ronaldo

Edited By cymaz on 03/04/2018 22:13:48

Posted by Ronaldo on 03/04/2018 17:33:09:
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 03/04/2018 16:34:38:

Geoff

Thanks Geoff and everyone else for your comments (not sure I can wait till July 19th BEB, may have to fit floats for my club field lol)

I'm using a tried and tested Prop Drive 5050 580k outrunner from Hobbyking, an 80amp Turnigy Plush esc with a separate castle 10amp bec, 5s lipo, and a 15x8 prop. This same setup works very well in another model, but I'm told it may be a little overpowered in the Great News, will have to see.

I think you'll have to be careful you don't rip the wings off with that set up. I think judicious throttle use will be necessary But as BEB writes, the throttle works both ways. I think that's more power than I had available when I maidened my 1/4 scale Mew Gull in December.

Geoff

• 2 years later...

I am a novice flyer starting late (very) in life, and need some advise.I bought a trainer, as advised. It was from some ones old collection. A Great news. It was orginally IC but the last owner converted it to electric.

It is fitted with a Himodel motor whose identidy has worn away, it measuers 40mm diam x 39mm long, it has a Himodel pro 60amp esc with 5.5-22v sbec. The prop is 11 3/4" in Diam. The 'Can' is coloured blue with natural coloured ally ends.

I have run it up on a watt meter using a 3c 2200 lipo, it rises to 60a about 1/2- 1/2+ throttle opening. Quickly opening the throttle it shoots up to 130+ a. As a novice this seems incorrect.

What advice can you give me.

Edited By Basil on 31/08/2020 11:31:10

Edited By Basil on 31/08/2020 11:33:08

Basil

I suggest its not right.

Can you provide some photos of the model and the equipment. Dimensions of the model too = Wingspan, Chord, weight and such. What make of WHATMETER are you using,

If you have the instructions for the ESC please send a link or a photo, 5,5 to 22v seems strange perhaps the BEC IS 5.5Vand ESC will handle up to 6 cells (22 Volts)

Edited By FlyinBrian on 31/08/2020 11:42:30

Edited By FlyinBrian on 31/08/2020 11:48:13

Basil I'm hardly an expert when it comes to electric flight but I've just finished a double sized Vic Smeed Tomboy which is about the same size as your Great News. It weighs five pounds including some 6ozs of lead which I added to the nose to get a better cg. I expect that your Great News will weigh about the same.

With a 3S LiPo, and an 11 x 5.5 prop, my Axi 2820/10 motor draws 35 amps. Multiply 35 amps by 11.1 volts from the 3S LiPo and you get 388.5 watts. Divide 388.5 watts by 5, the weight of the model in pounds and you reach a figure of 77.6 watts per lb which is ample for a model of this type. Indeed if I give it full throttle on take off, it climbs far too quickly and threatens to stall. I am experimenting with smaller propellers to reduce the power.

Now if your set up draws 130 amps and you multiply that by 11.1 volts, that's 1443 watts. Assuming your Great News weighs about 5 lbs, divide by 5 and you get 288.6 watts per lb which is competition aerobatic level!

A vintage model like your Great News or my Tomboy will fly well on 50-60 watts per lb.

I would suggest that someone has fitted an electric motor which is far too powerful for your model, either that or there's something wrong with your measuring equipment.

George at 4-Max has an equivalent to my Axi at £34.49:  https://www.4-max.co.uk/po-3541-1270.html

With a motor like this I'm sure you'll be fine.

Edited By David Davis on 31/08/2020 12:34:17

Specs for that esc are as follows:

Type: Professional-60A
Output: Continues 60A, Burst 80A up to 10 Secs.

Voltage Input: Lithium : 2 – 6s or NiMH/NiCd 5 -18 Cells) b>Note: 4S and 4S above must be with BEC disabled

BUILT-IN BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) Output:3A @ 5V;

Max Speed: 210,000rpm for 2 Poles BLM, 70,000rpm for 6 poles BLM, 35,000rpm for 12 poles BLM. (BLM: BrusheLess Motor)

Size:70mm x 31mm x 15mm(length x width x high)

Weight: 60g / 2.12oz

Do you have anyone that you could borrow another motor and esc to swap with as there's something very, very wrong if it is drawing 130A!

Even if it were propped for 2S, would it really draw 130A on 3S?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 31/08/2020 12:37:07