The 2018 Transmitter Survey!

Posted by Devcon1 on 17/04/2018 07:46:27:

I don't thing FrSky are being "hyped" on this forum but I do accept there is a certain evangelistic feeling expressed by some users, I certainly include myself in that category........

Edited By Devcon1 on 17/04/2018 07:47:33

Multiplex users used to be accused of that - probably by people who now use Open Tx smiley

Dick

Posted by Dickw on 17/04/2018 12:34:33:
Posted by kc on 17/04/2018 11:40:31:

Do any makes other than Spektrum/JR have something like ModelMatch which prevents using the wrong memory/Rx ?

That feature seems to be a big plus for Spektrum in this age of multiple model ownership...........

Yes - Jeti.does and I am sure others do as well.

Dick

There is a discussion of model match with various manufacturers here, albeit a couple of years back. I think this leaves Futaba as the only 'big' manufacturer not to offer it, at least on entry level sets...

One thing that FrSky do is listen to users and developers. When they were developing the XJT module, I had PXX protocol firmware for the DJT module to test (back in 2011). When developing the Taranis, developers received prototype units. We gave quite a lot of feedback on the hardware design (which FrSky changed), including making sure even the original gimbals were good quality, as well as porting ersky9x/openTx to the radio.

Most of the time, if there are problems reported back they fix them and provide updated firmware (and even hardware mods) as a result.

Open source firmware developers are also provided with documentation (circuit diagrams, protocol specifications etc.), so are able to provide a level of support on these forums to end users.

After a number of problems with the S6R (stabilising receiver) firmware, I received a S8R from them to test before it became available for general purchase.

In the US, Aloft hobbies provide excellent support for FrSky equipment, which provides a significant level of "word of mouth" advertising.

Of course, since the Taranis uses open source firmware, the development cost was much lower, which is one reason the price point of the radio is lower than some competitors.

Mike

Posted by Mike Blandford on 17/04/2018 13:08:03:

One thing that FrSky do is listen to users and developers. When they were developing the XJT module, I had PXX protocol firmware for the DJT module to test (back in 2011). When developing the Taranis, developers received prototype units. We gave quite a lot of feedback on the hardware design (which FrSky changed), including making sure even the original gimbals were good quality, as well as porting ersky9x/openTx to the radio.

Most of the time, if there are problems reported back they fix them and provide updated firmware (and even hardware mods) as a result.

Open source firmware developers are also provided with documentation (circuit diagrams, protocol specifications etc.), so are able to provide a level of support on these forums to end users.

After a number of problems with the S6R (stabilising receiver) firmware, I received a S8R from them to test before it became available for general purchase.

In the US, Aloft hobbies provide excellent support for FrSky equipment, which provides a significant level of "word of mouth" advertising.

Of course, since the Taranis uses open source firmware, the development cost was much lower, which is one reason the price point of the radio is lower than some competitors.

Mike

I can vouch for that personally.

I damaged the charge circuit of my first Taranis by trying to use my Graupner charger instead of the 'wall wart' Frsky supplied. I was given a huge amount of advice on how to fix my board, including a circuit diagram of the charge circuit itself. As a result I replaced (with some difficulty) a surface mount mosfet and got it working again. I doubt if that support would have been available for any other transmitter and I was (and am) very grateful.

Geoff

I have looked at JR usage with interest, as i understand that this manufacturer is no longer in production. With 6% of the user market, it is greater than some others, which are in production. I am looking at both Graupner and Multiplex.

Surprisingly (IMO) Futaba usage is apparently holding on,

Spektrum seems to be falling back slightly? Particularly as I expected the brand to become pretty dominant, particularly with ordinary modellers.

It does appear that Frsky continues it growth. When you consider that the heavy marketing that some other brands adopt, pretty impressive.

In the past I used to see the Jeti used mainly by glider people who wanted all singing radios, that other sets did not provide. Now it seems in addition the Bling aspect is bringing them into the world of us common modellers.

I suspect the reason that Futaba and JR seem to be hanging in there, is down to possibly low volume of new sets being bought.

It would be really interesting to see previous years results, to better understand what could be happening.

Posted by Percy Verance on 17/04/2018 20:13:32:

Further to my post above. The I.D. system is common to the Smart SX transmitter only. The newer Model Safe system is used by some other more advanced MPX systems, and is, I think, programmed at the transmitter.

Yes, on binding you have the option to set a model number, so the "model match" feature is user selected.

Multiplex from 2009,Royal Pro 16 from the start. Profi Tx 16 last two years, great tech forum and no limitations what so ever. Telemetry for safer flights and new features on every update. My receiver from 2009 just needed a new software to unlock SRLX (Multiplex S bus). Lipo approved also no need for a dedicated HV receiver. The Wingstabi gyro is just awsome and expand flying days to let me fly on windy days too.

Edited By arne lyngstad on 18/04/2018 07:23:10

Edited By arne lyngstad on 18/04/2018 07:25:44

• 1 month later...

I purchased radios from any of the following brands, JR, Futaba, HiTec, Spektrum, SJ, Sanwa and I reviewed some of them for German and USA RC mags.

All radios performed well. I currently use a Futaba 12FG. I simply like this radio for its design and programming features.
I also have a brand new Sanwa RD8000. It's 90ties old school and I love it. I fly a 90ties old school glider with it.

I guy in Danmark still has stocks of these Sanwa MHz radios. Also receivers...

Here is a video of my old school glider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qs3_ZfJdrw

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed the survey at the edge of the page, at present it perhaps surprises me in that Futaba are still well represented.

There really are only two other major players Frsky and Spectrum so it would seem.

Everyone else seems to be a bit player.

Although at my club field there has been an outbreak of Jeti, quite serious numbers. Which are controlling quite serious priced models, running into the thousands. In the past I only saw this brand flying competition gliders, where all the bells and whistles were wanted, in addition to the me to, as flyers with better results were spotted with the same brand. As they already were flying the same high priced molded model. It must be the Radio, that makes the difference.

I guess we are heading to just the three brands, in the near future, as some just drop out, due to low world sales?

I think an interesting side-survey might ask those who've bought a new transmitter in the last (say) 3 years what they bought. I may be totally wrong but I suspect that Futaba's continuing high ranking may be because people are sticking to sets they've had for years which, of course, is a tribute to Futaba's quality.

I speak as a former Multiplex user (on 35Mhz and with a DiY Frsky 2.4 gHz module) and now a Taranis and Horus X10 enthusiast.

Geoff

Next year, Hitec would probably be at the bottom, due to their announcement that no new Hitec radios will be made again, signalling the nail in the coffin for Hitec transmitters. The Auroa will still be used, but if you are not moving forwards, you are moving backwards...

Geoff

I have previously thought that Futaba's users were probably based on past sales.

Now I am not so sure, I have noticed in my present club a definite swing to Jetti, with those modellers who fly +20cc and Jet modellers. Does the bling go with the models. They certainly look the dogs do dahs.

Much to my surprise more recent entrants no longer seem to automatically go to Spektrum, many are buying Futaba. But do not ask me which ones, as they all seem to have complicated descriptions. I do see some control setting similarities with my own, old Tx.

Much to my surprise I have seen a Frsky Tx, with some one I had thought was a beginner. Perhaps a non flashy, understated modeller, who just likes to fly around.

Posted by Erfolg on 25/06/2018 12:50:26:

Geoff

I have previously thought that Futaba's users were probably based on past sales.

Now I am not so sure, I have noticed in my present club a definite swing to Jetti, with those modellers who fly +20cc and Jet modellers. Does the bling go with the models. They certainly look the dogs do dahs.

Much to my surprise more recent entrants no longer seem to automatically go to Spektrum, many are buying Futaba. But do not ask me which ones, as they all seem to have complicated descriptions. I do see some control setting similarities with my own, old Tx.

Much to my surprise I have seen a Frsky Tx, with some one I had thought was a beginner. Perhaps a non flashy, understated modeller, who just likes to fly around.

There are definitely some modellers (generally in the older demographic operating in clubs - sorry, but it's true) who still believe there are only 3 decent radio brands - Spek, Futaba and JR. FrSky - "too cheap", Graupner - "they went bust didn't they?", Multiplex - "never seen one", etc. In this group those who have grown disenchanted with HH pricing and availability in the last 12-18 months can only really go to Futaba, as JR now no longer exist! At the premium end Jeti are making progress (though without more basic models there is only so far they can go in terms of market share), whislt FrSky are hovering up newcomers coming into the hobby with their excellent value sets. Who knows where we will be in a few years time, it's very hard to predict.

Matty

I have just read your post.

There are possibly a number of issues that have been the drivers for a number of Manufacturers.

Futaba historically from 27 and to this 2.4 era, they have produced a very solid product.

Servos, extension leads, were always available freely from a wide variety of sources, at for what ever era, competitive prices. Particularly when Sanwa have strangely wired plugs, that blew your servo if got wrong. The silly plugs used by Waltron etal, where the spacing was so similar, it was to easy to get things wrong.

Spectrum, benefited from a innovative step change with 2.4, when the rest were messing with synthesized channels. Then they have allowed others (no doubt at a price) to produce models that use their system. The down side has seemed to be a disproportionate number of unexplained model crashes with the product. Also the price was keen and support great.

Frsky, has produced extremely good products, that are pretty much bullet proof, be Futaba Fasst Rx, or their own systems and products, all at keener prices still.

Most others, beg the question, will they be around beyond the present product range? Particularly when the relative prices are considered.

As you are saying, the world continues to change, ever more unpredictably.

This will probably upset a few people who like Futaba, but let me relate this.

In the 70`s I occasionally flew for the JDM display team and was given a brand new set of, probably, J series Futaba to put in a display model. Range was no more than 20 yds. as was the case with the next four sets but eventually found a set which worked OK. It did not exactly instill much confidence but what the hell it was not my model. Worked fine in the air.

When 2.4 came along I decided to try a Futaba EX6 which was quite expensive at the time for what it was. Very solid radio link but when it came to programming it was a nightmare compared with my 35mHz JR.

If I tried to put down elevator mixed with rudder in either direction it would only allow say down with left rudder and up with right. Totally useless. Got rid of it PDQ and got a proper JR set on 2.4.

It annoys me that when any manufacturer brings out a new system, the programming is almost always totally alien to any of their previous ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 25/06/2018 22:41:49:

It annoys me that when any manufacturer brings out a new system, the programming is almost always totally alien to any of their previous ones.

Martin, That is the one thing I love about my Taranis X9D, been running it for 4 years now upgrading the firmware when needed and each time I upgrade the just added a little thing now and again, the menus and programming are still the same. I am about to retire the X9d to the roll of trainer TX and purchasing a new X9D Plus, I only have the one TX with two extra modules, one is DSM2 and the other is the module out of my Turnigy 9X which I had 12 receivers, the TX wore out but the module was still OK, so why get rid of the receivers, they work great with the Taranis.

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught up with this thread so I'll add my comments. Unlike Martin I have had only good experiences with Futaba. I have no problem with the programming though that is probably because I have been using programmable Futaba txs since the FF7. On the other hand the JR3810 I use for Spektrum UMX is a nightmare to program in comparison for me.

I bought what I thought would be my last tx in 2007 - a 12Z. It did everything and more than I needed in what imo is still one of the cleanest and most ergonomically well designed cases ever produced. Then I bought a Phase3 Squall and no 35 Mhz rx could cope with the esc in that model. (They later marketed it as needing 2.4 to operate.) So I bit the bullet and bought the 2.4 module for the 12Z. It cured the Squall's problems and slowly I bought more 2.4 rxs. I had no problem with 35 but the convenience of no frequency clashes was attractive. I am now 90% 2.4 and have been flying it for 10 years with zero issues.

Last year I succumbed and bought an 18SZ. The touch screen programming is faster and simpler than all other input mechanisms and the 12Z is now relegated to backup duties and for buddy boxing when training my grandson. The ability to use telemetry was initially attractive but tbh I rarely use it now. Voice fell into the same category.

Futaba pluses - rock solid protocol(s!) (yes, too many of them), very good build quality at least on the high end sets, easy to program for me, low bug rate in s/w releases and not too frequent either

Futaba minuses - rxs are expensive (though a basic 6 channel rx is now available for well under £30), they are not as innovative as Spektrum or FrSky (though most of their innovation is of little use or interest to me personally)

These are of course very personal views.

Julian

Transmitters are of course very personal things. I currently use a Spektrum DX9 after years of using JR - my beautifully ergonomic JR DSX9 was retired after what appeared to be transient radio failure and to be honest the only reason that I'm using the DX9 is that I found that I could usually guess how the programming worked without reference to the manual. I don't bother with telemetry and the voice is just an unwanted feature that I've had to pay for but never use.

However, I don't really like the feel of the DX9 and I don't want AS3X, which I object to paying for in receivers, especially 9 channel receivers which are far too expensive at nearly £180. I don't get on with the Taranis programming model which is a shame because it would otherwise be - on paper - the perfect solution, so I'm now eyeing up Futaba. But I just can't afford an 18SZ...