The 2018 Transmitter Survey!

Plenty choice so choose one and enjoy it.

I use what's considered a budget brand, expensive model or foamy, it makes no difference, I would not be using it if it was not safe and fit for purpose, price is a secondary consideration. Time some rethought the idea some brands cost less, because they compromised on reliability, it is just untrue.

There is plenty of choice but my experience does not support the idea all brands are equally reliable. I have recently been training someone whose choice was a budget brand. The ergonomics and feel of the tx were not great and we have had big problems getting the rims to work equally on master and slave txs - in fact we haven't managed to equalise them - they are way out of even and even then there is a twitch when control is passed. The link has been solid though. the learner has now changed brands.

In another case a non budget brand lost control for about two seconds when the instructor took back control from the student - it was a most unpleasant experience though control was regained in time to save a crash.

Other examples are failing trim switches, switches and gimbals - you may argue all brands get these but again experience suggests they are more likely to occur on budget radios.

YMMV

Julian

Posted by SONNY MONKS on 29/08/2018 18:04:34:

Ive had the spektrum DX6 for the past eighteen months,i cant say im truly happy with it,not very reliable at all,i sent it in for a repair after four months,it took six weeks before i got it back,it went halfway around the world lol,to get repaired,i get the occasional loss of signal,for a split second or so,i am waiting for the jeti DS12 to be released.then its an upgrade for me!!

Jeti UK will be bringing the DS12 prototype to Much Marcle next weekend. There is also a basic 5 channel DS5 Tx available now for £114. It's 12 months since I switched to Jeti & I have no regrets on the decision.

• 2 months later...
Posted by Ron Gray on 09/04/2018 18:50:33:

The problem with this survey is that it doesn't really show trends. A survey of all those who have bought a new Tx over the last year would give a better indication of where 'we' are going.

Agree, plus if it took first time buyers or beginners into account it would give you a good indication of where things are going to be in the longer term. Suspect FRSKY would do rather well here

Posted by conrad taggart on 08/11/2018 16:53:19:

The problem with this survey is that it doesn't really show trends. A survey of all those who have bought a new Tx over the last year would give a better indication of where 'we' are going.

Agree, plus if it took first time buyers or beginners into account it would give you a good indication of where things are going to be in the longer term. Suspect FRSKY would do rather well here

You might be right but in my club most beginners are buying Spektrum - their pnp and bnf and what is generally perceived (you may not agree with the perception) as easier programming are powerful incentives and yes, you could get a module but Spektrum seem to be moving their rx line up so that they do not support modules too well. As a module based user that is not working in their favour with me but in general it is probably a good move on their part.

Julian

• 4 weeks later...

Entering this side of the hobby from the multi rotor/Foam side of the hobby(4 years in).I would agree with your point.If this poll was conducted on any other forum that wasn't a traditional build based forum.The results would put FrSky and especially the Taranis at I'd say a conservative 50%.This doesn't take in to account the new budget FrSky models that appear(not a scientific study)to be eating away at the Spectrum share of the market.

It worries me a little in looking for a club to join.Would any qualified trainer be using a Taranis for buddy boxing.

Posted by Bob Smitham on 03/12/2018 19:00:11:

Entering this side of the hobby from the multi rotor/Foam side of the hobby(4 years in).I would agree with your point.If this poll was conducted on any other forum that wasn't a traditional build based forum.The results would put FrSky and especially the Taranis at I'd say a conservative 50%.This doesn't take in to account the new budget FrSky models that appear(not a scientific study)to be eating away at the Spectrum share of the market.

It worries me a little in looking for a club to join.Would any qualified trainer be using a Taranis for buddy boxing.

Why does it worry you? There are FrSky users in our club, though more like 10% than 50%, but if you want training our club could meet your aims as I suspect most could. In our case definitely yes.

I have seen zero evidence that FrSky is eating into the Spektrum BnF and PnP market - in fact I have yet to see a FrSky model in this category.

Rather than worrying about things that don't matter, get out there and enjoy, and if you want training, presumably for a BMFA certificate, there will be many places you can achieve it.

Julian

Hiya Julian.

The worry is based on arithmetic.Only 17% of forum members,most club members(I may be being presumptuous).

A limited amount of trainers per club made me think a Frsky system may be a stumbling block with compatibility on the buddy box front.

Anyone wanting too construct and fly a traditional build coming from the multirotor, fixedwing, FPV non BNF ,DIY drone world.Would in roughly 50% of cases be using Frsky. Again not a scientific study but based on using non scale/balsa build forums for a few years. In the world of multirotor and fixed wing FPV and open source flight controllers.The Taranis does appear to be a standard.

The FPV racing crowd with no need for 16 channels are now being targeted with the "lite" model that is a PS4 games console controller in looks and ergonomics.The younger flyers appear to be buying them by the bucket load.

I think that you are looking at this the wrong way, I'm a club training officer and I fly FrSky (always have). If it's your model it's going to have you're FrSky RX in it isn't it?

That means that it's bound to your TX and the second TX (the club trainers) will be the buddy box TX.

FrSky (Open TX) will buddy up with Futaba, Hi Tec, Spektrum and of course itself, you just need to go into the trainer settings and select calibrate and for instance with Spektrum use a multiplier of 1.2 on all channels (as Spektrum 100% is FrSky 80% and that's it done. It can even cope with you flying mode 2 and an instructor who flies mode 1.

Or am I missing the point here?

Posted by Julian Thacker on 03/12/2018 19:31:38:

Why does it worry you? There are FrSky users in our club, though more like 10% than 50%, but if you want training our club could meet your aims as I suspect most could. In our case definitely yes.

I have seen zero evidence that FrSky is eating into the Spektrum BnF and PnP market - in fact I have yet to see a FrSky model in this category.

Rather than worrying about things that don't matter, get out there and enjoy, and if you want training, presumably for a BMFA certificate, there will be many places you can achieve it.

Julian

It is a legitimate worry / concern as the two clubs i have joined (1 large and 1 small) have no FRSKY users. However, because it is such a great radio you can program it to work with a Spektrum or probably any other make of radio regardless of modes, but it would have to be the master radio and your tutors radio would have to default to the slave. There are various videos on You Tube on how to do this - see Painless 360, etc. However most beginners might find this a rather daunting task, plus ideally you would need the loan of a radio to bench test it or a very patient tutor.

Even if there are 10-15% of FRSKY users in a club, given that only a small percentage of people within any club appear to be willing to buddy a complete beginner, you could well be in trouble. Luck of the draw I guess. Re "I have seen zero evidence that FrSky is eating into the Spektrum BnF and PnP market - in fact I have yet to see a FrSky model in this category".

I don't believe anybody mentioned this as FRSKY don't do models.

Edited By conrad taggart on 03/12/2018 22:58:44

Posted by Don Fry on 04/12/2018 07:12:44:

Aye, and it's fantastic for tightening bum flab.

Right On, Don

It instills fear immediately, which is a good thing, to focus oneself

I am a great Buddy fan, but if somebody arrives at the field with something we cannot connect

Then we don't waste time, just get into the air and so we have Lesson 1

Posted by Bob Smitham on 03/12/2018 21:07:48:

Hiya Julian.

The worry is based on arithmetic.Only 17% of forum members,most club members(I may be being presumptuous).

A limited amount of trainers per club made me think a Frsky system may be a stumbling block with compatibility on the buddy box front.

Anyone wanting too construct and fly a traditional build coming from the multirotor, fixedwing, FPV non BNF ,DIY drone world.Would in roughly 50% of cases be using Frsky. Again not a scientific study but based on using non scale/balsa build forums for a few years. In the world of multirotor and fixed wing FPV and open source flight controllers.The Taranis does appear to be a standard.

The FPV racing crowd with no need for 16 channels are now being targeted with the "lite" model that is a PS4 games console controller in looks and ergonomics.The younger flyers appear to be buying them by the bucket load.

Hi Bob

As others have pointed out, FrSky can buddy with most other makes. However, unless you have a very patient and time rich instructor that may not be a feasible route. You could do what one of our members did and buy a 2nd hand 2nd Taranis to buddy with his own - which has several advantages including simple setup, spare tx if one ever does fail, you are not dependent on one instructor's availability, etc.

I would not recommend a PS4 style tx regardless of how popular it may be with some - it is unlikely to ever become a useful tx as and if you progress in fixed wing flying.

Just my thoughts YMMV

Julian

Posted by Steve J on 04/12/2018 10:11:48:

Entering this side of the hobby from the multi rotor/Foam side of the hobby(4 years in).

Would any qualified trainer be using a Taranis for buddy boxing.

If you have been flying for four years, why would you need a buddy box?

Steve

Hiya Steave.

Am I being over cautious perhaps? Just a little worried with the jump from a 2lb AUW foam all in £60 build up to the 6lb months in building balsa at least double the cost model.

After the time and money invested I would be a bag of nerves with a heavy ic powered plane.

Posted by SONNY MONKS on 04/12/2018 18:26:18:

After switching to the horus x10,from the spektrum dx6,its a no brainer,the quality of the x10 is second to none,screen easy to view in all weathers,where spektrum was rather poor,overall for £346,i dont think there will be many sets that beat the x10 for value,

I am an unlikely defender of Spektrum but you are comparing a premium FrSky set with a budget Spektrum set. I am sure we are all happy for you that you like your x10 but your post adds nothing to Bob Smitham's query (admittedly off topic). As for the quality of the x10 being second to none, I suspect many would add their voice to mine that is simply not true. But 'quality' is as much subjective as objective (it shouldn't be but it is) so rather than quibble semantics let's agree with your last statement.

Julian

Posted by Bob Smitham on 04/12/2018 18:01:40:
Posted by Steve J on 04/12/2018 10:11:48:

Entering this side of the hobby from the multi rotor/Foam side of the hobby(4 years in).

Would any qualified trainer be using a Taranis for buddy boxing.

If you have been flying for four years, why would you need a buddy box?

Steve

Hiya Steave.

Am I being over cautious perhaps? Just a little worried with the jump from a 2lb AUW foam all in £60 build up to the 6lb months in building balsa at least double the cost model.

After the time and money invested I would be a bag of nerves with a heavy ic powered plane.

In the event that your choice of Tx can't be buddied, why not ask the instructor to check the model over & perform the maiden flight. Then, if & when he's satisfied that it's OK, you fly subsequent flights with him standing by as per pre buddy lead days.