Vauxhall In The Doldrums.....

Former Member

Advert

Posted by Kevan Gillings 2 on 18/04/2018 08:24:40:

Had a Hyundai suv for 10 years , grat car, no problems/cheap to run.

Changed to Vauxhall Insignia estate,had it for 18 months, got fed up of taking it to the local main agent for faults under warranty, changed back to the Hyundai.

I had one if the early Insignias, a sports tourer 2.0 litre diesel fitted with the Fiat engine from the Alfa Romeo 159....

Car was the biggest pos I've ever owned....main dealers couldnt resolve an issue I had with it, so I got rid of it after 4 months and bought another Mondeo estate...

I later found out the car was recalled for an ecu upgrade....

Posted by Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 06:39:37:

...Sadly I shan't be a prospective customer. I made the mistake of buying a Peugeot 25+ years ago - a 405 estate - and it was one of the worst cars I've ever owned. A total financial liability/money pit..... Never again.

Tom...

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 06:43:27

That's strange. I had a Peugeot 405 estate for years and it was one of the best cars I ever owned!

I only got rid of it after I watched my best friend dying of leukaemia and I thought, "Life's too short not to have a brand new car if you can afford it." I bought a new Rover 75 Estate and kept it for twelve years.

most modern cars are the name on the badge only....most of the bits are found on other cars. PSA and Ford for example..the engines are the same unit developed between them(basically)Citroen have used other makers motors for a fair while,the Ford KA and fiat 500 are the same under the different body shape.Audi,vw and Skoda have a lot of the same bits in them ....Jag's with Mondeo bits and so on.... I've driven Citroens and Peugeot's for the past 20 years...no complaints...yet.....apart from a turbo going the journey...£££ ..

ken Anderson...ne...1... motoring dept.

What I find interesting about this is that I believe that Vauxhall's current vans (built at Luton) are similar/same as Renaults but their new van will have to be a Peugeot Citroen. Bit like Italy changing sides in WW2!

I had a Peugeot 406 Estate in 2003 and it was a brilliant car let down by dodgy electrics. My current 2016 Mondeo Diesel Estate is also brilliant and so far reliable - much better in fact than the 2015 Mercedes C250 Estate I had before it that I had to get rid off before the Warranty ran out because it had so many problems.

Posted by Percy Verance on 18/04/2018 06:39:37:

The new SUV Vauxhall are pushing is little more than a re-badged Peugeot. I imagine that's come about purely as a result of the recent takeover by the French PSA group. I expect we'll see more of the same too, probably with a gradual phasing out of the pure Vauxhall/Opel models we're familiar with.Sadly I shan't be a prospective customer. I made the mistake of buying a Peugeot 25+ years ago - a 405 estate - and it was one of the worst cars I've ever owned. A total financial liability/money pit..... Never again.

We had a 1976 Peugeot 104 hatchback and it was fine. We ran it for years and travelled 1000s of miles with the tandem on the roof with a home made rack. My only gripe was how hard it was to work on. I bought a workshop manual and eventually realised the instructions for setting the points were in the section after removing the engine! The only way to check them was to remove the distributor, set the points, them replace it because it was so close to the LHS wing inner you could neither get a tool in nor see what you were doing if you could. Removing and replacing the alternator was like trying to get a budgie out of its cage without opening the door.

Of course that was in the days when owner maintenance was possible. Now I open the bonnet and feel helpless I just hope our new(ish) Vauxhall Astra estate is OK. I'm surprised how I've adapted to its automatic gearbox.

Geoff

Tourer usually means it's not great as an estate....However the Mazda 6 sports tourer is fantastic....Cars don't have to be German. Unless you're happy with mediocrity in the reliability and build quality stakes!!...But sometimes it's all about badges.

Andrew