Royal Wedding No Fly Zone

Apparently the CAA are imposing a no fly zone within a 12 mile radius of Windsor tomorrow, for 24hrs commencing 5am on Saturday morning. We believe this impacts our club site (Bracknell), and I gather the Maidenhead and Slough clubs have been grounded. Worth checking if you are affected, no word from the BMFA but I guess they don't know where everybody flies.

I am going to apply a no TV day tomorrow ( Saturday ) I am already fed up with the Wedding and it has not yet started .Good excuse to go flying all day tomorrow and be has far away from the TV has possible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't Heathrow near Windsor? I know we stayed at Windsor YHA and cycled into Heathrow when we flew to Nepal back in the late 80s and it didn't seem very far.

Anyway I had a great day flying today (a looong way from Windsor) and will spend tomorrow in my workshop doing a few odd jobs with half an eye on my PC tuned to Eurosport and watch the really big event of the weekend ... the 14th stage of the Giro d'Italia which should be spectacular

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 19/05/2018 00:02:01

BBC 1 is a NO GO area all day. Not that my TV is ever on before 5 pm.

Radio 4 had 5 minutes of news and perpetual talking to idiots who had been camping out in Windsor all night.

Oh well, it is better than politics I suppose. At least the couples vows should last a little longer than any politician's promises

12 mile radius, you say?

Fortunately we're about 19 miles from Windsor, so we were all legal this afternoon. teeth 2

And way off in the distance, from where we fly we can also see a certain North-London stadium, where I understand a major sporting event was 'kicking-off' late this afternoon. Something else we could ignore whilst flying today!

What really got me was the six o'clock ITV news.

Non stop wedding from beginning to end in spite of the whole thing being on TV

Not a single mention of the American School Massacre

Not a single mention of the 100+ killed in the Cuban Air crash

Not a single mention of the mass suicide bombers in Afghanistan

I think I want to puke

I wonder if there are any other modellers like me who are a bit concerned about the rather bitter and unpleasant views which are appearing on what should be a good humoured Model Aircraft forum. Perhaps it's time to go back to the original idea of discussing our hobby, as happens on other modelling forums.

@Pete - maybe we need to have a happy, good news, news program sometimes rather than gloom and doom. I, for one, was going to go the LMA Tibbenham show yesterday but the wife had organised a family wedding buffet which lasted from 9.30 through until 7. And, you know what, I rather enjoyed the day and was extremely proud to be British when I saw the event on TV. No doubt, the estimated 1.9 billion worldwide viewers were also suitably impressed!

Anyway, as Solly said, maybe this has gone a bit off topic from the OP.

Am now going to Tibbenham today so win/win.

Edited By Ron Gray on 20/05/2018 09:50:23

Posted by Solly on 20/05/2018 09:16:01:

I wonder if there are any other modellers like me who are a bit concerned about the rather bitter and unpleasant views which are appearing on what should be a good humoured Model Aircraft forum. Perhaps it's time to go back to the original idea of discussing our hobby, as happens on other modelling forums.

No, it's just modellers expressing themselves. We're as entitled to moan about the farcical royal wedding coverage as we are to moan about the weather. Feel free to start a pro wedding thread, that's the joy of free speech. You alsoo have the freedom to ignore threads or posts that you don't like.

And I don't know which other forum you have looked at but few don't allow a bit of non-modelling chitchat.

ps Planet Rock have barely mentioned any weddings beyond the traffic warnings - perfect!

Well I'm not a fan of Royal weddings -or any other wedding for that matter -seems a dreadful waste of money for the average person these days, young folks then say they can't save a deposit to buy a house -whatever happened to going without, scrimping and saving hard like most of us did in the past. Anyway I'd decided to do some model building but just before it started I sat down to watch a few minutes and actually enjoyed it. It was funny when they promised to be faithful and the congregation laughed. I thought the American Pastor was good when he got excited ignored his i-pad and went 'off-piste' as it were -watching people trying not to laugh or yawn.

Overall it was a good show for Britain, the military certainly know how to put on a good show for the tourists and the rest of the world.

Unfortunately the telly did do it to death