Servo extension leads

Advert

I got mine on eBay Shaun

They are not showing stock at the moment

Just type in your description in search on there, and tick the send me an email box, when in stock

And hobbyking

At Weston Park on the 16th and will have a look for you

Edited By Denis Watkins on 04/06/2018 08:27:36

Some time ago I started making my own servo leads. So I can have any combination of genders and any length, at a fraction of the cost of commercial items. Yes I had to buy a crimping tool, but I have had the cost of that back many times over and have the benefit of much neater installations. It isn't difficult to do, consider it as an alternative.
BEB

Hi Shaun,

I can't quite picture the relative positions of everything exactly, but I would imagine having a connected plug and socket an inch from the receiver could make it just as obstructive as excess wire.

I would support BEB's suggestion above, or if you don't want to invest in the tool, the next best option is to cut the servo cable and solder a 30 mm longer terminated cable to it. If you have reasonable soldering skills and some appropriately sized heat-shrink, then it's a very quick job!

As Per BEB used this method many times for custom leads and works well I have also used a Lipo balance lead and make up a loom so that one plug connects all servos? Saves messing with multiple plugs every time you take the wing off. .I have used it on a Zero with wing lights , retracts and flaps in the wings . For the Zero I used a 6 S balance lead . These can be bought in different lengths on e-bay. Do a bit of research and check for quality as wire quality can differ considerably I looked for leads with silicone covered wire and these are very flexible with good quality copper wire similar to quality servo leads Use common earth and positive leads and separate signal leads . It tidies things up and cuts down on the wire jungle and the possibility of plugging in to the wrong socket

I did a little "how-to" article on making your own servo extensions in the mag a while ago. Once you've got the crimp tool and a little practice behind you it really is very simple. The big advantage is you make custom extensions to suit YOU, instead of making do with what's available.

Tim.

I too make my own leads up and I agree with what Tim and BEB say. The problem in this country is that the suppliers of connector components only want to sell them to you in packets of 6 or so.

I buy mine in bulk from Hansen in the USA at very competitive prices. Very helpful people and the goods arrive in a few days. Never had to pay duty yet (fingers crossed). Go to:

www.hansenhobbies.com

Pete

When Ash Jones packed up selling his brilliant multiway connectors known as Askloks I stocked up on 6 and 9 way shells as well as on a stock of male and female inserts. The beauty of Ashloks as the name implies is that they lock together in use yet are easily separated when dismantling your model for transport or storage. Another advantage, of course is that several servos can be connected to the receiver at once and to the right channel. Sadly, I'm quickly running out of shells but I think they're still available from Fighteraces.

I also bought a half decent crimping tool from him which serves both for Ashloks and standard servo connectors.

Geoff

Making up the leads is the way to go I must say. I was worried about doing it to start with, but using a decent crimping tool and a bit of practise I have not looked back. And it is cheaper in the long run once the crimping tool has paid for itself. Any lengths to suit, what's not to like! wink