Second plane advice

Kevin Haythornwhite

Hello, im fairly new to model planes, i’ve been using a high wing trainer to get to grips with things.

Ultimately I would love a scale fighter plane but before that i was wondering what sort of thing I should be looking for as a second plane once I have got used to the trainer (still a while away yet)?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Advert

The choice depends on a number of factors.

Are you teaching yourself or are you at a club/being taught elsewhere?

Are you intending to stick with small foamy models or move up to bigger stuff?

Are you intending to stay electric or change to i/c engines at some point?

There are no right or wrong answers to these questions, its just that the answers can have an impact on what is likely to be the best next step for you in the long term. 

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 01/10/2018 09:42:11

Okie doke

In that case i recommend moving to a larger electric model like this **LINK**. Im not suggesting this model specifically but something similar is likely to be a good bet. Its much larger and heavier than your cub but with the basics under your belt and assistance from club tuition you should not have any problem with a model like this. The power train for it is also likely to be handy for a low wing model a bit further down the line.

If you had intentions of going i/c i would recommend a similar model just with an engine instead.

Hi Kevin,

My first warbird (just 2 years ago!) was a Freewing Hellcat. Its 900mm wingspan and 620g. It is a fantastic flyer, handles very easily and looks great in the air. I have flown it a lot in varying conditions and it handles it perfectly. For a warbird, it flies like a parkflyer.

Let us know what you go for in the end!

Although I don't own any myself, the FMS range of foamy warbirds are very popular in my clubs and those that the owners have given me a go on have been very nice to fly and would be suitable for anyone with a reasonable amount of low wing experience.

What I would say though, is that although they are easy to fly, you do need to be able to land correctly and consistently if you're not going to be forever repairing the retracts. You'll get away with murder on a low wing sport model with a decent fixed undercart but retracts will just not take the pounding. Naturally, you'll need a decent patch to fly off as well.

For what it's worth, fly your high wing trainer to death. Most can be set up to be quite aerobatic and challenging so do experiment and explore its full flight envelope (an experienced flyer will advise you on this) and really get to know what the model will do - not just straight and level circuit bashing, as important as that is to get right. Moving on to a suitable low wing model will then be a breeze, as you'll not be fighting the in-build stability of the trainer and you'll enjoy getting the low winger to do exactly want you want.

Good luck and make use of the experience to be found in a good club.yes

You Hobby ZoneSport Cub is actually a great model. I was given one by a friend a while ago and find it great fun.

With that model you can learn to fly loops, square loops, rolls, four point rolls and even inverted. This will give you experience in seeing the model in strange attitudes.

Just remember, try the manoeuvres at least three mistakes high until you are used to them.

The previous owner was amazed at what it will do

I would recommend the Parkzone T-28 if you like the look of it. Great flying model & now available with all the stability aids, so you can start 'protected' & gradually turn them down/off as you get comfortable.

With umpteen years experience I still enjoy flying one & also have the 2 larger versions that Horizon Hobby distribute, all go really well. And it's a scale warbird!

Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 01/10/2018 08:52:32:

Hi Kevin it's everybody's dream to fly a scale fighter air craft but it's not that easy as it may look . You need to go down the lowing wing models first and then onto fast low wing models to build up the confidence. Nothing to stop you building a model but have an experienced flyer check it out first

I would say that with the advent of very well designed, ding resistant and easy to fly foam models this does not always apply. Throw in a 3 axis stabiliser and you're good to go.

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 01/10/2018 16:15:50:
Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 01/10/2018 08:52:32:

Hi Kevin it's everybody's dream to fly a scale fighter air craft but it's not that easy as it may look . You need to go down the lowing wing models first and then onto fast low wing models to build up the confidence. Nothing to stop you building a model but have an experienced flyer check it out first

I would say that with the advent of very well designed, ding resistant and easy to fly foam models this does not always apply. Throw in a 3 axis stabiliser and you're good to go.

I think many of us remember some pretty horrible kits and designs of especially Spitfires from the 70s and 80s, that usually wound up overweight, underpowered and would just be waiting to bite the unwary - hence warbirds got such a bad reputation. So much more accessible these days.

I am in a similar situation, begining to learn. The smaller trainer that I built is lovely to fly, but too light in any wind. At the club yesterday with a steady but brisk breeze there was another novice with a Wot Trainer. It seemed to handle the wind well, and particularly the Ripmax colour scheme was very easy to see which way up it was and where it was going. He was very pleased with learning with it. The day turned into a Chris Foss fly-in: the more experienced members had Wot4, Wot4 XL, acroWot, another Wot4, and another...

My 2p worth. I went from Riot post A test and wanted something good in windy conditions + cheap (at the time) so picked (well advised by my LMS) to go for a BH Speed Air (electric). It had no vices, was tough as old boots and got me through my B test. I later put a Laser 70 in it as the covering started to fade and fall off. It was only my stupidity that killed it off. Stripped it and scrapped it only to find I could have bought a fuselage for it!

I have a wots wot (electric) and acro wot (Laser 70) and yes they are nice, but both have a bite if provoked so a bit of a steep learning curve.

As others have said the T28 and other park flier foam warbirds have very benign handling so good choice if you want to go straight there. Just my experience, but be warned benign handling foamies can get you into bad habits when you move on to something a bit more feisty and unforgiving.

Lots of routes and depends where you want to end up eventually so just keep asking questions, hope this helps

I am going to go with Jonathan's advice from Laser Engines and recommend the Seagull Boomerang.

It's fairly large and it has a semi-symmetrical aerofoil which means that it is easier to fly in a breeze. In it's modern manifestation it comes with all of the parts necessary for for either electric or i/c powered flight and you can finish it with either a tricycle or a conventional undercarriage. Pretty aeronbatic and less than £100. "What's not to like," as young people say!

**LINK**

Hi Kevin,

I'm still not entirely clear whether you are looking to stay with foam planes, or move up to something balsa and heavier. It's not really about electric versus I.C., it's about whether you want to learn to manage the energy of a larger airframe with more weight and therefore momentum. It's a definite step up from a foamie, particularly landing.

The advantages are that a bigger plane is easier to see, it'll cope with wind better, and you'll be able to fly more types of plane in the future.

The disadvantages are that it'll be a bigger step up from where you are, and it'll narrow your choice in the first instance (no warbirds).

So, depending upon where you see yourself going, I would support the above suggestions of either a Speed-Air or a Parkzone T-28...

I would agree with posts above where they say join a club first. If it at all possible I would definitely do that first .At a club people will see you fly and help asses and advise the best route. You will also get a proper first hand look at many different planes, many look way different in real life than on the internet. Another useful thing with clubs is that members are always swapping and selling models to each other and that might also be apossible money saver for you.

If you want some fun, get one of these. they only cost about £70 with shipping. You change from beginner to expert mode by pressing down on the right stick. In beginner mode, it flies like it's on rails. It's very easy to control, and if you let go of the sticks, it goes straight and level. When you press the stick, it can go completely crazy. You need to concentrate because it has such fast response. It's just like the best aerobatic planes, but everything happens much faster. When you've completely lost control, you press the stick again, and in a micro-second, it snaps back into straight and level flight. That happens so quickly, that it's like someone kicked the plane. It's a bit like a reset button on a simulator except that you have to hit it before the plane crashes. The guys at our club were amazed by it.

I only suggest this as a bit of fun. It's completely ready to fly and takes no space at all, so you can always bring it as a reserve plane or just if you want to have some extreme fun. You don't have to be a good pilot to fly it, but you do need to be quick on the mode switch to save the plane when you lose control. If you get one, you'll see what I mean.

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you do get something wrong, a complete new fuselage is only £7, and a wing is only £6.

Edited By Dave Hess on 03/10/2018 14:45:04

Edited By Dave Hess on 03/10/2018 14:57:20