BMFA membership Platform training for Club Administrators

Is it correct (as suggested by Roger ) that clubs will have to pay about 10 pound PER MONTH for software? If so surely that will add about 6 pounds a year to the membership fees of clubs with only 20 members! Far better for small clubs to insist that all members pay BMFA themselves ( so called Country membership ) and let BMFA do their own computer work! Then all clubs really need is a free spreadsheet program or a ledger.

Paying monthly for software and other subscription items is something we should all resist because once hooked on it that's what makes firms rich - they do the work once and charge for it for evermore. And once hooked they can increase the price whenever they want........

Posted by kc on 30/10/2018 16:23:14:

Is it correct (as suggested by Roger ) that clubs will have to pay about 10 pound PER MONTH for software? If so surely that will add about 6 pounds a year to the membership fees of clubs with only 20 members! Far better for small clubs to insist that all members pay BMFA themselves ( so called Country membership ) and let BMFA do their own computer work! Then all clubs really need is a free spreadsheet program or a ledger.

Paying monthly for software and other subscription items is something we should all resist because once hooked on it that's what makes firms rich - they do the work once and charge for it for evermore. And once hooked they can increase the price whenever they want........

i hope not that will be a big no no for our club and back to stickers and the postman.

and as adding exsisting members as sugested got to five goes and i was bared tried both methods. I think I will leave it for a couple of days and see what happens.

You are misunderstanding what Roger was talking about, The standard platform is provided at no cost at all to clubs.

However there will soon be an option available to clubs that will give full functionality for collecting members subscriptions too. It will always be completely optional. It will be of great benefit for some clubs for smaller clubs probably not so much.

You are misunderstanding what Roger was talking about, The standard platform is provided at no cost at all to clubs.

However there will soon be an option available to clubs that will give full functionality for collecting members subscriptions too. It will always be completely optional. It will be of great benefit for some clubs for smaller clubs probably not so much.

Posted by flight1 on 30/10/2018 16:51:04:

and as adding exsisting members as sugested got to five goes and i was bared tried both methods. I think I will leave it for a couple of days and see what happens.

It is likely the members you are trying to add do not have an email address on the system, there are still quite a few of those. However you can use the Member import spreadsheet and they can be added from the office.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 30/10/2018 17:12:04:

and as adding exsisting members as suggested got to five goes and i was bared tried both methods. I think I will leave it for a couple of days and see what happens.

It is likely the members you are trying to add do not have an email address on the system, there are still quite a few of those. However you can use the Member import spreadsheet and they can be added from the office.

some members don't have emails, so how will you get their permission?

Posted by flight1 on 30/10/2018 18:12:35:

and as adding exsisting members as suggested got to five goes and i was bared tried both methods. I think I will leave it for a couple of days and see what happens.

By using the Members import spreadsheet you are demonstrating you already have their data so we are not sharing anything that you don't already have.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 30/10/2018 18:30:30:
Posted by flight1 on 30/10/2018 18:12:35:

By using the Members import spreadsheet you are demonstrating you already have their data so we are not sharing anything that you don't already have.

ok that clears it        thanks

Edited By flight1 on 30/10/2018 18:47:58

I can personally recommend the 'import members spreadsheet' method. I had 150+ members to add to the 50+ who were already appearing on the club list as their BMFA was through the club. That wasn't a task I was looking forward to dealing with until I discovered the import!

Getting them onboard just meant dropping their details into a spreadsheet and uploading it. I hope it didn't cause too much work in the BMFA office - I got 151 confirmation emails spread out over the course of a whole afternoon. Hopefully it's fairly automated at their end too...

Posted by John Privett on 30/10/2018 21:23:24:

I can personally recommend the 'import members spreadsheet' method. I had 150+ members to add to the 50+ who were already appearing on the club list as their BMFA was through the club. That wasn't a task I was looking forward to dealing with until I discovered the import!

Getting them onboard just meant dropping their details into a spreadsheet and uploading it. I hope it didn't cause too much work in the BMFA office - I got 151 confirmation emails spread out over the course of a whole afternoon. Hopefully it's fairly automated at their end too...

It would be very automatic if it wasn't for data protection legislation, each record needs checking though, not too much of a task though.

So I have not misunderstood Rogers comment about software cost! It is still going to cost if clubs use it - but not for the 'standard platform' ( whatever that turns out to be) So why should clubs pay per month for ever? Why not use free software like a spreadsheet from Open Office etc? At 10 pound a month it's still going to add 1 pound to membership fees to clubs with 120 members! ( are there many clubs with over 120 members?) Why lumber clubs with paying for software for years?

Better to pay the club secretary 120 pounds/year to buy a ledger book and keep the rest for himself!

I shall make sure my clubs are aware of this cost at the AGM and no doubt the club will vote NOT to buy software like this.

Honestly can't see what kc is on about. The use of the word optional for the add on feature means that you don't have to have it. The basic platform does all that is required and it is free to the clubs.

I am guessing that the add on will make it possible to "automate" the club subscription collection. If your club is still handling cash and cheques to do this it is quite a chore for the treasurer in a large club. The way to go is cashless using on line payments such as paypal or bank transfer. Not all clubs are savvy enough to do this so an offering along those lines could well be of interest.

Posted by kc on 31/10/2018 09:30:26:

So I have not misunderstood Rogers comment about software cost! It is still going to cost if clubs use it - but not for the 'standard platform' ( whatever that turns out to be) So why should clubs pay per month for ever? Why not use free software like a spreadsheet from Open Office etc? At 10 pound a month it's still going to add 1 pound to membership fees to clubs with 120 members! ( are there many clubs with over 120 members?) Why lumber clubs with paying for software for years?

Better to pay the club secretary 120 pounds/year to buy a ledger book and keep the rest for himself!

I shall make sure my clubs are aware of this cost at the AGM and no doubt the club will vote NOT to buy software like this.

I'm struggling to understand what your issue is, Nobody is preventing the club from using a spreadsheet or any other method of looking after club subscriptions, the Club+ addition has some very useful features for clubs over and above what is there on the standard platform which does not cost clubs anything at all to use, We are not lumbering clubs with anything whatsoever, the standard platform which is a huge improvement over what was previously available and takes care of all the BMFA subscription side of things and will significantly streamline the process and save time for those in the club that have to sort those out and potential save some costs too, postage for example, is completely free to clubs to use.

The completely optional Club+ add on gives extra features as below

• Create an unlimited number of club membership types and categorise them if required;
  • Create, promote and manage an unlimited number of events/courses and categorise (social, competition etc.);
  • Take credit and debit card payments for any of the above, as well as direct debit payments with the monies being paid directly into your club’s nominated account;
  • Alternatively register cash and cheque payments for any of the above;
  • Create and send emails to some or all of your Club membership community;
  • Define club level GDPR compliance options;
  • Run a series of reports that will assist in administration of members, including bank reconciliation, payments received, member details etc.

It's all completely optional though, no lumbering anyone with anything and any costs will be made clear to those clubs that are interested.

Perhaps a more reasonable approach would be getting the club to look in to it in detail to see if the benefits and possible savings outweigh the costs rather than to dismiss something without having any information about that which you are dismissing, which could end up being a disservice to your club.

if it isn't going to be made compulsory for BMFA clubs to use the software,there's not going to be any problem...if you want it and use it ok(pay) if not-ignore it......like I say as long as in the near future clubs aren't put in a position where they must use/pay for it....

ken anderson...ne...1...must/not pay dept.

Posted by ken anderson. on 31/10/2018 09:56:36:

if it isn't going to be made compulsory for BMFA clubs to use the software,there's not going to be any problem...if you want it and use it ok(pay) if not-ignore it......like I say as long as in the near future clubs aren't put in a position where they must use/pay for it....

ken anderson...ne...1...must/not pay dept.

Exactly. It is very much worth checking out all the features you can use without having to pay anything though, streamlining the BMFA renewal process has to be a good thing.

I think its in everyone's interest that Clubs do adopt the new membership system for renewals (and individuals to manage their own details).

The BMFA has invested fairly heavily in the new system and while its not a bespoke system it does do very much for what is intended for a COTS package,

Standardising on the system will reduce costs by simplifying and streamlining the most labour intensive aspect of running the BMFA ultimately helping keep subscription charges (and increases) to a minimum.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 31/10/2018 13:50:30

It cannot possibly be " in everyone's interest" to commit clubs to paying 10 pounds or whatever every month to rent mere software! it is only in the interest of the people getting the money - it's a money spinner for them if they can get every club hooked on this system paying a monthly subscription.

Very few club secretaries will have secure enough computers to keep bank a/c & credit card details really secure so paying that way is a non starter for me! Even major corporations cannot keep data secure so the local club secs computer will be the easiest target for fraudsters. If every club has the same software it's even easier for fraudsters - crack one and all the other clubs as well. So no point in paying for software for credit card payment. How can it save money for clubs? I don't know of a local club sec that gets paid to do the job!

The BMFA membership system has for years been built on the principle of the local clubs doing all the hard work collecting BMFA fees for free- now it seems clubs are expected to pay some continuous fee to a software company as well! Ludicrous!

Colin and also Ken

My concern is that well meaning but nieve club secs will just join this optional pay per month system without realising they have committed their club to continuous subs to a software company! Just like PPI , subscription TV and all those other things that seem so innocuous that even intelligent people don't realise they have ticked a box ( or not unticked) and then find years later how much they have paid for something not worthwhile. Also computer systems are like drugs - once you are hooked on a system it's difficult to change. So if this years sec signs the club up it inertia will make it difficult to change next year etc.

That's the modern way to make money- sign people up to subscrption services before they realise how much it costs!

Hi all, looking from the outside of this discussion as a Joe average club member (of several clubs) when it comes to subs time we usually end up in a queue of people armed with a completed membership renewal piece of paper and £90 ish in cash or cheque to be handed over to the club sec. Part will be for BMFA and the rest to the club and or local authority , at the end of the night the club sec will have a large amount of cash and cheques. In today's age cheques are in serious decline and large sums of cash (£1000+) are viewed as potential money laundering transactions we need a more efficient method of payment. Whith out knowing the details of the BMFA site functionality it may well provide a solution . Can you imagine a EGM being called to discuss the aftermath of a committee member being mugged on the way home from a joining evening and even more cash when cheques finally disappear. Like it or not the world is changing any we will need to change accordingly , personally I would be happy to pay a little extra to make life a little safer for the committee members who do all this work for us.

Just my thoughts, Paul.

I tried to logon/register and ended up phoning BMFA, as I had gave it the required info and it said I didn't exist.The answer is if the BMFA doesn't have a e-mail address logged against your membership number you won't be able to register.

So any member not having or wanting to use a computor, so by default not having a e-mail address is disenfranchised, Have been told many times if its not broke don't fix it, the BMFA seem to have broke it by trying to fix it.

Remain unconvinced as to its viability.

To the extent one of our long time club administrators( who is computer literate and has read the terms and conditions) won't touch it with a barge pole.

I tried to logon/register and ended up phoning BMFA, as I had gave it the required info and it said I didn't exist.The answer is if the BMFA doesn't have a e-mail address logged against your membership number you won't be able to register.

So any member not having or wanting to use a computor, so by default not having a e-mail address is disenfranchised, Have been told many times if its not broke don't fix it, the BMFA seem to have broke it by trying to fix it.

Remain unconvinced as to its viability.

To the extent one of our long time club administrators( who is computer literate and has read the terms and conditions) won't touch it with a barge pole.