Daks Over Normandy

Chris Walby

• 3 months later...
Advert

Will -0 the link does not work for me....and I don't think they are coming back for a few days...

Denis - which one of the DC3's/C47's has the transponder...or do all 35 have one each?

Can't miss this many Daks in one place, wink

Edited By Chris Walby on 31/05/2019 08:49:09

I had a flight in a DC-3 round Blackpool Tower in early 1956.

Another little snippet. The Vickers Valetta was the DC-3 replacement for the RAF.

We had a Valetta squadron in Aden. I 1961 I was involved in chopping up a Valetta for scrap in Adenin 61.

IT was replaced with....yes... Youve guessed it...a Dakota

I was talking to an old Aden mate on Friday. He siad that the local airlines used them a lot in those days and he had many flights round the area in them,

Posted by Peter Miller on 05/06/2019 18:33:07:

Well I saw 16 of the Daks pass south of me at 4.30pm. Four hours late

I have a feeling that they were a but more punctual on D-Day

Actually a day late due to the weather! and I suspect that was the reason today, probably too windy over the drop zone for the parachutists.

Posted by will -0 on 02/06/2019 21:27:04:

It's a phenomenal event, 22 dakotas on site today, 8 in the circuit at one point

p1610978.jpg

Edited By will -0 on 02/06/2019 21:28:38

Seeing these photos reminds me of when I was lucky enough to have a friend who flew Dakotas for Air Atlantique back in the early 80s and blagged a few flights...and the odd little stir of the controls. However, I don't recall the cockpit looking anything like this! Is it a Catalina perhaps?

The Dak felt like a living thing from my vantage point behind the pilots' seats with the hydraulic accumulators huffing and hissing with every movement during taxying and seeing her sitting cheekily tail down amongst the modern tricycle u/c airliners and freighters at Glasgow and Luton Airports made me feel extra privileged as I walked away from her.

Edited By Martin Harris on 05/06/2019 19:27:09

Stupid calls. I carefully arranged holidays in Normandy this year. My beloved does crafts, so I "arranged" a halfway stop between my ( undeclared) interests, and the Bayaux tapestry. How clever was that.

So we pulled the caravan into the chosen site. "En plain", full. "You must go at least an hour and a half west or south". I was basically thrown off Normandy. Total fail.

I could not believe how big this in here. There were convoys of Dutch registered 2 WW American army stuff coming down the motorway.

i went to duxford today and was quite disappointed. Yes there were 23 daks, but the most that flew together in formation was 5. When it came for the big departure they took off one at at time 15-20 seconds apart. 10 of them turned around and flew past, in single file, one at a time. The remaining aircraft took off..one at a time, and just flew off. They seemed to ditch the mass formation and combined with the one by one take off's it just felt like a missed opportunity as i have seen them take off a 3 ship of daks in formation at a past event.

A bit of a shame i must say.

All that said, i am pleased i attended as this event is about the 7000+ who did not survive D-Day and the countless others who were lost during the continued effort to liberate Europe.

I also went to Duxford today. Sad that it took 2 hrs to get the last 2 miles to the car park. I guess I underestimated how many people would attend a mid-week event at Duxford and this event in particular!

I agree with you Jon about the massed formation but all became clear when I consulted by rain app and found that there was a front with heavy rain traversing the whole of NW France. It would have been helpful for the commentator to say so! I suspect that given the 2 hr delay in the take off, there was no time to waste in building up the formation prior to flying across Duxford. As you say, a bit of a shame, but quite understandable in the circumstances. I overheard a conversation with one of the parachutists (who I have to say looked pretty large to be a jumper!) and he said the flight time was 2 hrs to the DZ. That would mean they would be jumping at around 7 pm BST!

I did get some nice shots of Spitfires - one of the best formation aerobatic shows with a pair of close formation Spits:

dsc_0165a.jpg

Mustangs

dsc_0228a.jpg

the P47, beautifully displayed by Paul Bonhomme

dsc_0121a.jpg

and a Martlett, as flown by Winkle Brown when he was flying fighters off a flat top for the Fleet Air Arm.

dsc_0158a.jpg

Myself and Mrs C8 waited at Abberton Reservoir Visitor Centre along with hundreds of others. Quite an anti- climax after the wait and anticipation. The formation, if you could call it that, was much further north than we expected, and quite high as well. Combine that with a very loose grouping in no particular order and it left those gathered about a bit disappointed. Oh well, it was a nice day and the cream teas in the visitor centre were good.

Had some friends in Southend who felt the same - heard on the news that the town and pier were gridlocked. 

Edited By Cuban8 on 06/06/2019 06:15:51