Fiesta Galaxy models I think, where it all began for me back in 1990

me109 (1280x864).jpg

Cambrian Fun Fighter 109

dsc02529 (1280x853).jpg

Flair Astro Hog

chipmunk flying.jpg

Galaxy Models Chipmunk Still going strong

my tiger 6.jpg

Premier Tiger Moth, flies great even dead stick. I have another kit just in case

Cambrian Models MK22/24 with static prop, still not brave enough to fly her

dsc03342.jpg

Global Skylane, built from the finest oak balsa

Galaxy Jet Provost

Galaxy Models Provost

dsc09520.jpg

Easy Built Models Catalina, it was anything but an easy built model but rewarding once in the air

dsc09764 (800x533).jpg

dsc09765 (800x533).jpg

And here's a few waiting to be built,

dsc09762.jpg

One day I'll build the Brisfit, been saying that for a few years now

Regards

Robert

Three More from the past, all great model.

Unique Models later Skyways Stampe, I am flying one almost identical purchased a few years back and done in same ish livery

Flair Pulsar Nice model but sadly bit the dust when lent to a freind and cog set way out

Trueline Corsair

3 planes.jpg

Saturn Skydancer:

I built this one in 2017, from a NOS kit. I had an original one back in 1973, and it flew brilliantly! This one has the same OS Max 40 in it as the original, still going strong! However, I think Saturn must have been taken over by the time this second one was produced, as the kit quality was nowhere near as good as my original one. It took a *lot* of fettling to get the fuselage right, the undercarriage wire is made from "cheesium" and the cowling now has about 3 extra layers of GF in it, holding it together.

Its also much livelier on the controls, but maybe I have more travel on this one (all set mechanically to minimum, though!).

--

Pete

Ah .... the Trueline 'Corsair' .... so simple a layout but a superb kit, lovely clear printed plan, (still have that!), a fantastic sports flyer even on 27 Meg 'Brown', Futaba 'M' & 17M(?) Black & Red servos (different direction - no servo reversing on yer trannie back then!)

Posted by Capt Kremen on 09/03/2019 13:19:11:

Ah .... the Trueline 'Corsair' .... so simple a layout but a superb kit, lovely clear printed plan, (still have that!), a fantastic sports flyer even on 27 Meg 'Brown', Futaba 'M' & 17M(?) Black & Red servos (different direction - no servo reversing on yer trannie back then!)

Yes the kids of today would not believe you if you told them that these all flew and flew well on basic 4 or 6 channel radio. Lets face it the Skyleader bipe at the start of this thread would have been flow on basic, albeit top of the range Skyleader in a display with several up at once on 27 MHz AM

The other fantastic trueline kit that looked good and flew well was the Trueline tiger, Jet ish look and a refreshing step away from the rest of the herd

bipe.jpgsecond picture shows the Unique models Stampe that I built in the 1970s Engine was probably a Veco 61 and the radio Skyleader Clubman Super 5 27MHz (Could have been AM or FM I had both) flew this for a few years, repainted it and later traded it in for a Bi Fly kit.

First picture was built from a Masons Models Skyways plan pack in about 2011 which as far as I can see is identical to the old unique models oneold stampe.jpg. Nostalgia made me use the same livery. Powered by SC61 and radio JR with FrSky 2.4 module.

So the question is have any of the other kits we are pining over been in continous production for well over 40 years

Edited By gangster on 09/03/2019 14:44:22

Thanks for the reply Percy

Yes of course the DB kits are still around probably in their original form. I never really came across the Sig kits, they didnt really find their way into the model shops in the fens.

As for the Wot 4, now there is a range of kits that I suppose are still in thehands of the original owner. However even disregarding the numerous ARTF versions and concentrating on the kits that is a plane that appears to have gone through changes. How many marks or models of it are there?.

Last year I built a Wot4 from the original plan pack plan but used a built up wing. In all my years of flying I seemed to be one of a few people who have never owned one, lets face it in its hey day there were prettier models. Any way I am not sure how many versions there have been of the kit model but I was given wings rudder and elevator of a kit model and they are nothing like the plan pack ones Different wing section and at least an inch wider chord and the bits at the back are different too. Mine is also vastly different from the many ARTF ones I see at the field. I am refering there to the wooden ones of a similar size.

I recently finished a DB Bi-Stormer, Richard who is the owner of DB Sport & Scale is a member of our club and he commented that the Bi-Stormer is in it's 50th year this year.

epson075.jpg

oops

my bi-stormer8.jpg

My 72" Bi-Stormer on maiden

His new Sopwith Pup looks great but that's all I'm saying on that.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 09/03/2019 20:03:06

Edited By Robert Parker on 09/03/2019 20:03:36

Posted by Ikura on 09/03/2019 13:30:33:
Posted by Percy Verance on 09/03/2019 08:31:39:

Instantly recognisable location (OW) there Martin.......

P.S. The Hawk 70/Chippahawk was an absolute cracker. It used what Unique Models referred to as a bi-convex wing section, with a flat bottomed airfoil at the root, changing gradually to a semi-symmetrical section at the tip. It worked wonders for the low speed handling. A truly great flyer. Both the Hawk 70 and Chippahawk used the same wing and most of the same fuselage too.

That's very interesting about the wing section Percy.

I spoke to a guy there about the Hawk 70 last week and he said all the plan packs are being converted to full kits and would retail for around £170.00. I think I might be very tempted with one when they eventually get them sorted. It is lovely looking and would probably be quite a simple electric conversion.

The thought of having a Hawk 70 electric powered would be very good. I would not mind doing that myself if I do get hold of a Hawk. Keep us informed Ikura if you do go down that route yourself. It would make a great model.

Oh dear, i am getting old.......

The KK SE5a mentioned earlier was my second radio build, 1976. Enya .19 and I loved it.

The Hawk 70 was fabulous too. Enya 40 two stroke and flew a dream. Always wanted a Skymaster bipe but kids and mortgages got in the way.......

The only model I had and wish I hadn't was Dave Smiths Saphir. Lousy wood selection and weighed a ton. Good riddance.

Anybody with any Flair kits unbuilt, give me a shout. Good money waiting.....

Maury

Posted by Robert Parker on 09/03/2019 20:00:24:

I recently finished a DB Bi-Stormer, Richard who is the owner of DB Sport & Scale is a member of our club and he commented that the Bi-Stormer is in it's 50th year this year.

epson075.jpg

oops

my bi-stormer8.jpg

My 72" Bi-Stormer on maiden

His new Sopwith Pup looks great but that's all I'm saying on that.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 09/03/2019 20:03:06

Edited By Robert Parker on 09/03/2019 20:03:36

This was making me dizzy.wink

mm add.jpg

Seeing Micro Mold there reminded me of the old Avenger, as seen here on the revered bible itself :

a1jk4xnatzl.jpg

I did have an original plan of said aircraft back as a yoof, but alas it was destroyed when mice got into the plan store and ate the lot of them. I have since re-created the plan in CAD from memory (I studied it often as a wee lad) and from the 3-view within the holy pages, but would dearly like an original again if anyone has one knocking about.