Confirmation - The World Really Has Gone Mad......

Former Member

Advert

When it comes to the roads i work on the basis that everyone i see is a complete clown and likely to do something stupid. Its a rewarding way to drive actually as the non clowns really brighten your day and the clowns are no surprise so road rage is kept to a minimum. Its also pretty much what my instructor told me to do!

Regarding the OP its safe to say that without all the facts its hard to make a determination of who is most at fault. From the information presented here it seems that both parties are guilty of making it someone else's responsibility to keep them safe. They both made a choice to put their safety in the hands of other people. The woman did this by just following the crowd into the road and assuming (if she saw him) the bike would stop. The biker did this by just marching forward and assuming the wall of people ahead of him would part and usher him through while he yelled at them from a distance.

To be honest, i would have given them both a clip round the ear (metaphorically) and told them not to be so stupid next time.

Posted by Doc Marten on 20/06/2019 13:16:21:

He had a green light Jon, she was crossing against a red light, that alone questions the 50/50 award.

oh was this on a crossing? as noone has yet posted the full details of the case im clutching at straws

This is the ultimate irony.

Round here, between Leeds and Harrogate, we are plagued by Lycra'ed Fascists/mamils. It is common to encounter them on A class trunk roads riding 2 abreast and sometimes the pelloton (is that a collective noun for inconsiderate road users?) can be 50 yards long.

Not everyone was enamoured of the Tour de France. Road closures and shoddy information are intensely irritating as well as extremely inconvenient. They appear and behave as though they are above the rules of the road and Heaven help any taxed, tested and insured road user who tangles with them.

How ironic and fitting then that the riposte has come from a fool with an i-Thing.

As for the multi million pound, empty cycle lanes strangling the centre of Leeds, don't ask.

BTC

From what I have read, another cyclists came forward to say the cyclist in question was riding aggressively.

You see it all the time with cyclists ,they think they own the road and can do no wrong, I always see cyclists swerve around people crossing on zebra`s.

I know its horrible to say this, I am a "normal" average man and so are my friends and family BUT I would say 80% of us do not give a light about cyclists. This is because of their attitude in most cases.

I know cyclists are entitled to use the roads and should do so in safety BUT I really have to question their mind set when they put their kids in/on the child seat OR the fabric covered "towed trailer". What would happen if a car ran into the back of them? who would put their kids life at risk like that on a push bike, surely they have options to get to school ,like bus,walk.

Just my opinion

It is the responsibility of all road users to look out for the more vulnerable users on the highways.

When I drive my van I look out for cyclists and pedestrians and animals, when I commute to work, I cycle, and I look out for pedestrians and animals, as I assume vehicle drivers are looking out for me.

I thought everyone is taught this. Plus it's in the highway code.

You should try cycling to work for a month Gary, it may change your mind.

D.D.

The lady who collided with the cyclist is a 28 year old Yoga teacher called Gemma Brushett. The papers have got hold of 2 pin up type photos of her posing as she performs stretching exercises whilst dressed in a bikini.
Without these photos I doubt if the story would have made more than a few lines in any, other than her local, newspaper.

Locally there is a new link road, single carriageway with a wide cycle lane/footpath on one side, about a mile long. Cycle clubs about 30 strong think that it is beneath them to use it and regularly ride three abreast on the road.

I recently came across a pair on a country road just wide enough to justify a central white line. One was riding on the right hand side of the line and although he knew that I was driving behind him he refused to move over so when I got a chance I dropped down into 2nd gear and shot past giving him a well deserved blast of black diesel smoke. Very satisfying. By the way, I also own a bicycle.

About time that cyclists have to pay a £16.50 registration fee and take a test, never mind us.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 20/06/2019 22:23:54:

About time that cyclists have to pay a £16.50 registration fee and take a test, never mind us.

I pay £45 per Annum already Martin, as a member of Cycling UK (formerly the CTC), in order to protect my self from irate and aggressive motorists. I will also pay the £16.50 reg fee and you can rest easy mate.

You may also be interested to know that road tax was introduced by cyclists, for cyclists, to keep the roads fit to ride on. That's the next jibe I usually get when encountering angry car drivers......You should pay road tax. It was abolished and we all pay for road repairs thru our council tax bill. V.E.D is based on emissions, which sounds like you should pay more if that much black smoke comes out of your tail pipe. You may want to ride your bike more, that way you may be more patient when encountering us more vunerable road users.

I also own a big Van.

JMHO

D.D.

Posted by Doc Marten on 20/06/2019 08:26:25:
Posted by Alex Ferguson 2 on 20/06/2019 05:24:43:

Mention of H&S. Isn't boxing a job for professionals? Isn't the aim to cause maximum injury? So why doesn't H&S ban boxing?

You're describing brawling not boxing, the skill is to win by inflicting minimum damage. The idea of H&S is to enable you to carry out your aim as safely as possible by not banning it.

Edited By Doc Marten on 20/06/2019 08:27:41

The idea is to achieve a knock-out. Maximum damage.

Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 20/06/2019 19:06:31:

It is the responsibility of all road users to look out for the more vulnerable users on the highways.

When I drive my van I look out for cyclists and pedestrians and animals, when I commute to work, I cycle, and I look out for pedestrians and animals, as I assume vehicle drivers are looking out for me.

I thought everyone is taught this. Plus it's in the highway code.

You should try cycling to work for a month Gary, it may change your mind.

D.D.

I do agree with you. We should all be looking out for everything but it isnt the whole story though is it. As soon as you let anyone assume that everyone else will just stop as soon as they throw themselves out into the road you end up with an accident as someone, somewhere will not be paying full attention. They might be distracted by a bee or trying to stop the kids killing each other in the back, doing their makeup or on the phone, or legitimately distracted by another road user doing something stupid.

When on the road or crossing the road be it on foot or on/in anything with wheels it is your responsibility alone for making sure you will be safe. The moment you put your safety in someone else's hands by cycling up the left side of someone indicating left, or filtering through stationary traffic at 40, running into to road or any of a 1000 other stupid things you can do on the road with a car or bike then you cant expect to not get hurt. Most people will see you, most will not deliberately harm you, but if you put yourself in a position where bad things can happen then its inevitable you are gong to get hurt eventually.

That said. If a screen watching youth does walk into the road its probably bad form to mow them down just because they were't paying attention.

Jon, some cyclists are indeed idiots. As are some car drivers. You can't prevent people from being stupid, sadly.

I'd better stop there.

And, as DD said, glad your boy is OK John. There is an unpleasant corner of hell reserved for hit and run drivers like that.