Stockpiling

Jon H

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/07/2019 16:20:53:

Props and accessories, at what point does keeping spares become stockpiling? If I had a stocktake I would probably find myself rivalling many shops for range and quantity of accessories blush

At the Cosford Swapmeet Bob

Myself and 2 friends reckoned that between us we could put up a similar display of models and motors ! !

Posted by Denis Watkins on 20/07/2019 16:24:51:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/07/2019 16:20:53:

Props and accessories, at what point does keeping spares become stockpiling? If I had a stocktake I would probably find myself rivalling many shops for range and quantity of accessories blush

At the Cosford Swapmeet Bob

Myself and 2 friends reckoned that between us we could put up a similar display of models and motors ! !

Just think of the display Paul Marsh could put on! How many spare plugs does that fleet warrant keeping?

Sorry but I don't see the problem here for Jon. I can't see that it makes any business sense to deny orders, or try and put people off ordering spares, of any quantity. If more parts need to be manufactured, or ordered, then that's what I see as normal business/stock-control.

I'm sure I'll get jumped on for going against the flow on this, but I can't see the logic of a business refusing any orders. And, putting people off ordering spares (perhaps even because they want to keep a beloved engine running for many years to come) i.e. essentially saying that you don't want their business - is that really sensible?

Edited By Andy Hat on 20/07/2019 17:31:28

The only plugs I use are Enya 3, OS 8 and OSF. Always best to buy these on ebay on a card of ten or so which works out at about £2.50 each. Genuine ones too.

As I see it, anyone buying a large quantity of every component in an engine must be hoping to assemble and sell them on. Tell them to `go away` Jon. We need the spares out here.

And by the way, I am now in the market for another 180 when you have one available, no rush.

Posted by Andy Hat on 20/07/2019 18:17:09:

Thanks Percy, I'll be interested to know more about it.

Edited By Andy Hat on 20/07/2019 18:20:55

I get that someone may want to keep a beloved engine running for years, thats fine, but until its broken why are you ordering parts? you cant see the future, why waste money on a part you dont need now and might never need in the future? In the ASP case, if everyone does what you did there wont be anything for anyone as it will all be gone.

For me, as i have already mentioned the supply of components i have is finite, its not a bottomless bucket. If all of them are sold as spares how can i build new engines?

The counter to this is make more parts. Ok sure, but machine time is finite. Laser parts come from the factory which is downstairs from me. However, 99% of what the factory makes has nothing to do with laser. It takes time to ramp production. Not to mention that the supply of parts i get now is inadequate.

The final nail for the 'just take their money and shut up' argument is that time is finite. I am one man and if i spend all day every day packing spares orders...oh yea, no engines get built. Not to mention that most of the spares need to be finished. Slow run needles need O rings on them, main needles need to be assembled, carbs need assembling, exhausts need to be shot blasted... No prizes for guessing who has to do all that. And i know, they sound like trivial jobs, but doing 30 of anything takes quite a while. Especially when you have to keep answering the phone, emails, doing the repairs and fixing our hopeless heap of a phone system.

The counter..employ more staff. lol, good luck with that.

Finally, and to be honest most importantly, my job is to build and sell engines that people can use. I will then do all i can to service and support those engines with parts and in house servicing. It is not my job to supply fat cats with big wallets a means to extort money out of people and neglect my real customers in the process. I made that mistake once and i wont do it again.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 20/07/2019 18:38:21:

And by the way, I am now in the market for another 180 when you have one available, no rush.

Out of production at the moment. I need the front housings made but i have to get the 80 front housing done first. then the first op of the 180 housing can run through the mill. By then the 80's will have run through the 2nd and 3rd ops on the lathe but i then need the lathe set for cylinders for 155 120 and 180. Depending on how the jobs fall wit shipping the cylinders in from plating the order might shift about, and that is assuming something else dosent require immediate attention. Probably a week or two? Shouldnt be too bad.

A bit late but I have only just seen Peter Miller's reference to Sainsbury's. Could I remind him of a comment from Alan Coren who said that Sainsbury's only function is to "keep the riff-raff out of Waitrose" ?

As for ASP engines, I have a 52 four stroke which has only been bench run and I will probably never build anything which would suit it. I'm open for reasonable offers if anyone is interested.

Malcolm

How many of us are guilty (yes me as well) of having an engine that is not in a model? Just sitting in a draw waiting for the right plane.

Jon's point is spot on...If I was not hanging on to it, then he could have sold it to someone who was really was going to use it....

As for spare parts, if looked after what is the "major" service interval for a Laser engine...or don't I really need to know. wink

PS Can someone recommend an ARTF scale biplane that an 80 will fit nicely, I need to remove my guilt!

Posted by Chris Walby on 20/07/2019 22:07:05:

How many of us are guilty (yes me as well) of having an engine that is not in a model? Just sitting in a draw waiting for the right plane.

Jon's point is spot on...If I was not hanging on to it, then he could have sold it to someone who was really was going to use it....

As for spare parts, if looked after what is the "major" service interval for a Laser engine...or don't I really need to know. wink

PS Can someone recommend an ARTF scale biplane that an 80 will fit nicely, I need to remove my guilt!

If looked after most engines will last for years. The more you use them, the longer they last. Some engines run hundreds of hours and never need a thing.

As for the biplane question, check out the seagull models gypsy moth

Posted by Chris Walby on 20/07/2019 22:07:05:

nothing at all wrong with that and quite understandable when supply is uncertain to say the least. If I want a 30 size glow motor now, the only surefire supply I have is my own. They can't be bought new and finding decent second hand is hit and miss.

I'm not in the business of draining and then hoarding supplier's stock of spares, but if an opportunity arises to acquire spare for engines I run which I know are our of production, and if I have the readies, I take it.

After all when shops sell up stock someone has to buy it or it ends up in a skip

Edited By will -0 on 21/07/2019 08:55:52

The brilliant note about 'The Syndrome of Crazed Squirrels' by Jon- Laser Engines ,  was completed with the story at the reception, by Percy Verance .... I have the privilege of being with all of you in this forum. The beginning of Sunday promises ... plenty of wisdom. Thanks face 1

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 21/07/2019 09:20:45