Repair of a Hanger 9 P-51 Mustang.

Paul Marsh

dscf5095.jpgA few weeks ago, I saw this for sale at Winterton Model Show. Was damaged when the legs got ripped out. Easy fix, the fuselage is perfect - no damage, and all the damage is on the underside of the wings - a few puncture holes and need to remake the hardwood u/c support bearers. No problem. Just get the loose bits glued in and a few repairs for now.

Starting to repair a H9 P-51 Mustang I bought for £25 a few weeks ago. Is brand new, the first flight ended up with the u/c being ripped off and the person selling it. It was missing the blue spinner, but a few years ago bought a Cowl, Spinner and top deck canopy for £2. So in the end, it is a viable project and one of my favourite aircraft.

Will keep doing a repair/flight blog.

dscf5102.jpg

dscf5090.jpg

dscf5091.jpg

dscf5092.jpg

dscf5093.jpg

dscf5094.jpg

dscf5098.jpg

dscf5100.jpg

dscf5101.jpg

dscf5099.jpg

dscf5096.jpg

Great model once sorted out, really do fly well. I have repaired 2 of these with exactly the same damage on the maiden, seems the blocks were glued in on both with what looks like hot glue. I would check the spars as much as you can, on both of them the shear webs had gone just outboard of the retract bay and the lower spar was cracked

You're right, that's what I noticed last night. the u/c blocks are only held on at two ribs, and ripped part of the spar out. Now a new sub spar added and butressed over it, and another false spar on the other side of the capping strips. Tonight add new hardwood blocks, a new false l/e rib and more triangle stock to take the high stress areas, with some glass fiber cloth to spread the load.

Where its at now:

dscf5107.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 03/09/2019 18:06:04

Is the u/c electric or that mechanical monstrosity with wire legs?

I replaced the gear in my H9 P-47 with the heavy-duty HK electrics and a couple of their P-47 bespoke oleos. They work extremely well, with a scale-like 6 second transit time.

A clubmate has the older H9 P-51 (in "Miss America" colours) and he's done the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice project Paul, I see that you are like me and have a hard time passing a good deal! Projects like this are very rewarding in my opinion when been able to give an airframe a second chance and often as not as much work as they look. I look foward to see the completion of this project. Sorry I did not comment earlier as it is nice to get some replies to time taken to post.