2019 Special Issue

Capt Kremen

Posted by i12fly on 27/09/2019 23:53:01:

Agree that the articles are definitely very good, just a bit disappointed with the plans. With 7, I thought there would have been another of TN's excellent EDF jet plans and say one intermediate sports/semi scale of 50+" span. But hey ho, it wont stop me continuing to subscribe.

Its a good magazine and I'm looking forward to seeing how KC develops future issues. He made a good job of RCMW and I was just about to subscribe to that too when it folded.

Note that David Ashby did this issue

Advert

Hi All,

I thought the special issue was very good, it must focus on the basic skills to spread the word, as the old hands know most of that stuff, but the free plans are good food for thought even if not built and they fill the magazine. Tony Nijhuis has carried the special issue with his warbirds for years, and Peter is regular contributor with his plans, keep up the good work chaps 😀

Regards Ray

Posted by Ray Wood 4 on 27/09/2019 21:22:55:

Hi All,

I'm looking forward to picking my copy up at W H Smith's tomorrow 😀 aero modelling is a broad church, I'm entertained by people looking down on the old classic and basically simple designs as not worthy in some way ??

Having built many of Vic Smeed's designs I'm looking forward to seeing his last one in this special😄

Regards Ray

I'm sure you'll enjoy the mag when you get it Ray, mine's in the recycling after only a quick scan through. As you say, we're a broad church and long may that continue, unfortunately, the 'church doors' are firmly closed to me on this occasion.wink

No part of aeromodelling is unworthy of attention, but on this occasion, for me, balance is the problem. I'd like to suggest that the 'specials' be discontinued as they'll never satisfy everyone and to devote a whole publication to jets, warbirds, building or whatever will always be contentious - quite frankly, that's the last thing the publishers need. By all means have a detailed article in the regular magazine covering a particular subject or maybe have a pull out supplement, but avoid losing the broad appeal of the magazine.

I welcome KC's editorship, an impossible task to get everyone happy - but please make sure KC that you understand your readership, its demographic and interests. Fewer foamy warbirds and WOT4 clones that TBH are all the same from a review point of view, and if I might suggest more conversational pieces on the lines of Alex Whittaker's and the late and much missed Brian Wynch from other scribes. I don't know about you chaps, but I do like to be entertained as well as being educated and informed about the latest transient gizmos.

I'm constantly getting emails from companies that I deal with asking "how are we doing", "please help us by filling in this survey" etc....................might be an idea to follow suit?

Apologies for banging the the drum on this, but I do feel strongly on the subject and fear the consequences for the wider hobby and businesses if the mag fails to be successful in the future..

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/10/2019 09:39:23

I normally look forward to the specials because there has been some very good stuff in the past. Nothing in this one to interest me but judging by some of the questions posed on this forum there are a lot of people out there who will benefit from it, although I disagree with some of the methods shown. There are many other things which could also be covered such as how to link up servos to surfaces without using those hideous screw on whatsits, how to hinge correctly, bend u/c`s etc.

In my opinion it is well worth repeating this sort of thing because a newbie will not have read earlier copies of the mag.

Keep up the good work; you cannot satisfy all of us all of the time.

Cuban 8

Seems an awful waste binning this month's comic, seems to show a little touch of pique?

( Je suis un "War Baby" - so I hate waste - back in the 40s we even saved paper bags and string! )

Your magazine could have been passed on to a junior club member - or dropped off at the medical centre, dentist, casualty dept, that's where mine go. Always welcome.

Edited By Old Geezer on 01/10/2019 22:16:55

Posted by Ray Wood 4 on 01/10/2019 18:12:13:

All good points, maybe we need to remember all magazines are published to make a profit simple as that ! Continued circulation is the publishers goal, RCM&E is really the only one left, i,m sure KC will continue the good work 😀

Regards Ray

Another good post from Ray. Foamies and RTFs sell in large numbers to nubies and experience modellers alike, so they are probably rather important as far as the model trade is concerned. You may not like their reviews Cuban8 but I am sure many modellers have gone out and purchased one after reading a review in the mag. - I know I have.

RCM&E have run questionnaires in the past and if my memory serves me right the free pull out plans were very popular, which is maybe why we usually now get two (or in the case of the Special, seven).

Don't worry, I am sure the 'normal service' will resume next month. yes

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 02/10/2019 06:18:41

I have posted this before on this thread but it seems that no one has noticed.

Everyone is saying and especially Cuban 8 that "KC will get it right"

No one seems to have noticed that Kevin is NOT the editor, This Special was edited by David Ashby.

Also,most of the articles are reprints of old articles. As far as I can remember there has never been and article on building with Depron and suitable adhesives.

Edited By Peter Miller on 02/10/2019 08:29:50

Posted by Old Geezer on 01/10/2019 22:14:59:

Cuban 8

Seems an awful waste binning this month's comic, seems to show a little touch of pique?

( Je suis un "War Baby" - so I hate waste - back in the 40s we even saved paper bags and string! )

Your magazine could have been passed on to a junior club member - or dropped off at the medical centre, dentist, casualty dept, that's where mine go. Always welcome.

Fair comment in part OG, but in my defense, I have recently given away quite a few back issues of the mag to a new club member. I make a rule to never hoard magazines now, but just clip out anything that's worth filing away. I can't part with my collection of 'Flypast' magazines though - Issue 1 right through for about ten years subsequently. Still a very valuable reference.

With respect, I don't think 'pique' is something that I'd hold my hands up to though.

Pete - yes, the special was clearly attributed to David Ashby. My point is that the special highlighted IMHO, a problem (not for everyone, I grant you) with the content of the magazine in general over the last couple of years. Let's just see how things go. BTW on Depron, I first discovered this 'new' material during my Revolver II build and agree it's a fantastic alternative to Balsa in some situations. Always happy to learn something new.

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/10/2019 10:26:10

Hi All,

The point about Depron is well made by John D, I must have started using it for airframes 15 years ago along with blue Styrofoam, but some people on this forum have taken it to the next level which is good to see, still find UHU Por not easy glue to use what do other people use ??

Regards Ray

Personally I felt that the special is special as it is different from the normal issues. This is how it should be (thinking back in the past to such specials that set aside normal magazine content). Great work to the team for this month and I think it just goes to show there are many options for the builder and you do not need to have artf's or foamies.

Posted by Old Geezer on 01/10/2019 22:14:59:

Cuban 8

So am I OG (born in 1940) and perhaps that's the reason I have a cardboard box under my bench for pieces of wood too small to be of further use. Actually those odd scraps save my cutting into a fresh sheet for those small bits needed for either building or repair.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a bit late after the thread has settled down. I have been building for around 20 years, including some larger very detailed scale planes and the special has been languishing unread on the coffee table since it arrived because I thought I had seen it all before.

Well, I finally got round to reading through it, and despite the range of experience, there are several techniques, tips, tricks, call them what you will that are new to me. So yes, it has had some use going back to basics.