Fingers or thumbs

Andy Green

Same as Tim above. Mode 2 - Finger/thumb right stick and thumb on the left stick. It is probably due to that I fly Helis aswell. I have flown finger/thumb on heli's on both sticks (better control)  but I have found it more comfortable as above.

Al

Depends on the tx I am using, when I had a heavy tx I used  a neck strap and finger/thumb grip, but recently changed to a Futaba FF7 and find it easier to hand hold and use thumbs only, though I do use my nose or chin to open the throttle when I'm hand launching!

• 3 years later...

Ok I know this is an OLD Thread, however had a club night tonight and we had a speaker talking about doing the B test and he stated that the only way to pass properly was ... and I quote....." to use a tray and finger and thumbs"....!

Now I dont have my B but I do know LOTS of people who do and most of them all fly thumbs only. Am I right in thinking this guy was full of it?

If he's a BMFA examiner and is saying he'd actually fail somebody who met the standard but didn't use a tray and/or finger and thumbs, then I think somebody needs to have a quiet (or not-so-quiet) word with him! This is the sort of thing that brings the BMFA achievement scheme into disrepute. Examiners should be examining to the stated requirements and not inventing their own.

On the other hand, if what he actually meant is that, in his opinion, you are more likely to acheive the required standard by using a tray and finger/thumb then that's a different matter.

Posted by David E on 11/03/2009 17:27:58:
Lol seems that ers aren't so rare then - I hadn't spotted anyone else at my club using their controllers that way, so was wondering if there was some reason that people didn't do it that way.

Mode 2 thumbs only.

Yes there is a good reason, I've small hands and simply cannot hold the joysticks with thumb and  finger and hold the transmitter as well.

Edited By Martin Phillips on 29/01/2013 08:46:54

Hi all

Mode 2 finger and thumb on the right, thumb only on the left. Must try and fix one of them. I dont use a strap or tray, but I do have a transmitter that fits my hands - one of the reasons (in fact the main reason) that I went for a Futaba 8J rather than a Spektrum when I upgraded about 6 months ago. The 8J was easier to hold and still maintain full stick control. Thumb only flyers have less to worry about as the reach of a thumb only is somewhat greater than a finger and thumb combined.

BW

Martyn

Thumbs with some little bit of finger assistance: I use big anodized alloy knobs on the end of my sticks from an American supplier so it is more comfortable..

Tried a neckstrap but found it too restrictive

I have a carbon fibre tray for my Fuitaba 8FG bought in Singapore that I havent tried as yet.

I also have a transmitter mit and fingerless gloves for cold days but rarely use them

Edited By Jon Laughton on 29/01/2013 20:09:25

Edited By Jon Laughton on 29/01/2013 20:09:42