C.A.A Reg number ,inside or outside ????

tigerman

As tigerman said, so much has been written on this subject, the question I'm about to ask might already been answered.

Like Peter Miller, I have no problem displaying my ID number on the outside, and there is a danger of making too much out of it, but could someone copy my number? I can't imagine any responsible model flyer doing it, because we are the good guys aren't we, and I can't imagine the Police ever turning up at our Club field just to check, but what's to stop someone copying an Id number, from a photograph published in a magazine or from some web site or forum like this, or indeed, making up a similar number? What means does PC Plod have to check that ID numbers are legitimate? How will he know that Dave flying his drone on that bit of waste ground hasn't `acquired` his ID

I don't imagine they have a CAA database to call upon as they do with motor vehicle licence plates. Or do they?

Posted by Don Fry on 21/12/2019 13:17:48:
Posted by Colin Bernard on 08/12/2019 17:40:22:

Guess it depends on the label and surface - I've just had the devil's own job getting the labels off old jam jars ready for the next batch!

Steel wool, COLD water.

I usually soak labelled jamjars in warm water, then lightly scrape off the top surface. A little white spirit on a swab or a cloth takes off all the rest easily.

Posted by John Bisset on 28/12/2019 14:56:05:

Guess it depends on the label and surface - I've just had the devil's own job getting the labels off old jam jars ready for the next batch!

Steel wool, COLD water.

I usually soak labelled jamjars in warm water, then lightly scrape off the top surface. A little white spirit on a swab or a cloth takes off all the rest easily.

That is all very well if you plan ahead. My system works when the jam is made, and panic has set in to have jars to contain it. Not good on an aircraft.

Posted by Don Fry on 28/12/2019 16:04:49:
Posted by John Bisset on 28/12/2019 14:56:05:

Steel wool, COLD water.

That is all very well if you plan ahead. My system works when the jam is made, and panic has set in to have jars to contain it. Not good on an aircraft.

So stick another label over the top of the first...or is that too obvious and simple.

Sorry, I know how people just love to find complications so they can bellyache about it.

JUst remember the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid!!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 28/12/2019 17:37:44

So these police officers who are going to check every toy aeroplane in the country. Are they the same ones who have to deal with the 1000000 uninsured cars in the country? And the business of the sticker on the plane that isn’t just so Will that be the same police who have to deal with the thousands of illegally spaced number plates on cars. Are they the same police who were ordered to ignore illegal CB use even when we had so many more police officers than. We have today. As for carrying documents, yes a good idea but how many of us carry our driving documents or even did before tax insurance and mot info was available on computer systems. Let’s not get carried away and overthink this business. We ain’t that important.

Posted by gangster on 28/12/2019 17:54:44:

So these police officers who are going to check every toy aeroplane in the country. Are they the same ones who have to deal with the 1000000 uninsured cars in the country? And the business of the sticker on the plane that isn’t just so Will that be the same police who have to deal with the thousands of illegally spaced number plates on cars. Are they the same police who were ordered to ignore illegal CB use even when we had so many more police officers than. We have today. As for carrying documents, yes a good idea but how many of us carry our driving documents or even did before tax insurance and mot info was available on computer systems. Let’s not get carried away and overthink this business. We ain’t that important.

Indeed. I ain't worrying about it - hence the reason I have passed on paying the unjust registration fee. I have my competency certificate.I have insurance. I fly responsibly and I have my contact details on every model I fly. Good enough for me. In the highly unlikely event plod ever stopped me, I believe it would be good enough for him too - they have far more important things to worry about than an old fart playing with his toy plane in some remote location not bothering anyone!

Posted by alex nicol on 28/12/2019 20:38:01:

The thing is, because of the naming of this whole debacle, public perception is it only applies to drones and I'd lay odds that 99.9% of the boys in blue think the same.

I tend to agree. The average person in the street, who knows little or nothing about flying , will think that drone regulation would only apply to multi/ quad rotors. They would not see the link to model aircraft.

Gangster is about right. I was plod half a lifetime ago. I would not have noticed then.

Plod is now 20 % less in numbers. Has also replaced some social services roles, and a chunk of first line psychiatric care in the community. Core plod jobs don't get done.

Just don't fly near airports. They pay for their own plod.