C.A.A Reg number ,inside or outside ????

tigerman

Sorry if this has been answear somewhere in this forum but there is so much written about this I do not know where to look .Question ,if anyone knows , The C.A.A registration number you are given when you register with the C.A.A / BMFA .Can anyone give me the official ruling on where this reg number should go ( I know where I would like to put it but I will not go there ) Some say you can put it in the inside of the fuse others say it has to be on the outside of the model ( that will inherence my scale models no end a 3 mm number written right across the fuselarge / wing !!!!!!!!!!!!. I was thinking of putting the reg number on all of my lipos but not sure if that will be legal ,in fact this is the problem what is legal and what is not and is anyone going to police this almighty mess !!!!!!!!!!!angry

Advert

If you had the choice of putting your car number plates inside the boot rather than on the back and front of your car which one would you choose? Of course you might think getting your car back if stolen is worth getting caught at speed cameras..........

Same with your model - surely inside will avoid anyone saying it's YOUR model flying too close to them, so why would you put the number outside?

Putting the number outside makes it very tricky to remove neatly if you ever want to sell the model to someone else.

Edited By kc on 07/12/2019 17:34:14

I do wonder how anyone can say that it is YOUR model flying too close if the numbers are just over 3mm high. Even with my massive zoom binoculars>

Of course one would obviously hide so they could not see just who the pilot is... Sorry, in that case you could not see the model and THAT is illegal!!

You may have to change your numbers on renewal.

Vinyl stickers come off easily with a little heat.

Although the suggestion to simply label flight batteries seems an elegant solution, I don't believe that it is compliant with the regulations which clearly state that the numbers must be fixed to the main body of the aircraft.

While it might effectively identify the correct operator in the majority of cases, what if you lend a battery to a clubmate? I've certainly done so [and been the recipient] on more than one occasion so I can understand the logic behind the wording.

my old black horse spitfires wing is held on by thumb wing bolts so no tools required so does this mean I can put the number in the fuz,or may be the wheel wells,and as for my sopwith pup how about the inner edge of the round cowl or does it have to be visable with out turning the model over.

In France every model has its own code, mind you we don't have to pay anything to get registered. With scale models you are allowed to hide the code inside the fuselage.On my BE2e I wanted to put it under the pilot's bum but he was too firmly glued in so I had to put the number under the tailplane! cheeky

Posted by AndyD on 08/12/2019 08:18:29:

my old black horse spitfires wing is held on by thumb wing bolts so no tools required so does this mean I can put the number in the fuz,or may be the wheel wells,and as for my sopwith pup how about the inner edge of the round cowl or does it have to be visable with out turning the model over.

I guess so and that;'s the approach I'd like to take with my Balsacraft funfighters, where the wing is the battery hatch - replace the standard wingbolts with those which can be opened with the fingers rather than using a screwdriver. A lot less disruption to the existing airframe than having to put in a large battery hatch,

Looks like I will have to find one off those little printers we had at school where you turn the dial and stamp out a label on a plastic strip which you then stuck on your books etc .I presume W H Smith or the like still do these label printers machines ?.Then stick the labels on the inside of the fuselages . Can not do it yet because I have not received my reg number but I think the BMFA are going to send them out the end of January . So now I have registered and paid my £9 + BMFA fees I am now legal again .smileyyes

Edited By tigerman on 08/12/2019 15:25:50

Every so often Aldi has Dymo printers on offer. Got one a couple of years ago and its proved very useful. Restock on the label material every time Aldi has the offer on. (They do paper, plastic, white, transparent and yellow).

Obviously you can buy at other places without waiting for Aldi - but since I'm a tight b.......

You can buy sheets of self adhesive injet vinyl on Ebay and just stick them in your printer and print off as many as you need and then cut them off the sheet.

You can get white or clear vinyl.

I used some many years ago to do logos etc on a model. You need to fuelproff if using ic.

That is what I plan to do.

I have a very old Dymo machine we had at the shop 30+ years ago but I doubt if the tape is still available and the tape I have seems to have lost the will to stick - old age probably, like its owner I'll have to see about getting another.

I can see someone setting up a small business printing labels. I don't mind having a number but it seems annoying to have a new one each year which seems to be implied in the literature I've read.

Geoff

As I already have a Brother label printer which is invaluable around the workshop and for labelling servo leads etc. I'm fairly confident that I know how I'll label my models when the time comes. The tapes are available from various Ebay and no doubt Amazon sellers and so far the non-genuine versions have performed as well as the originals.

Shockingly, at a quick glance I can't see any at less than nearly twice the price I paid just 2 years ago - sign of the times or worth searching around for?

No need for twiddling dials - the as yet unknown operator's number can be saved in the device to be printed out whenever required. I have never found Dymo tape to stick particularly convincingly - especially on anything but a dead flat surface...

P.S. Tigerman, assuming you were an existing BMFA member, you were always legal assuming you had your copies of the exemptions within easy reach.

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/12/2019 17:02:24

• 2 weeks later...

One sheet of A4 with the ID number repeated as many times as you have models through your PC & printer. 3mm high letters and numbers cut out with scissors and stuck, numbers down, onto 2 inch long strips of sellotape and then stuck to the model outside or inside wherever convenient and accessible without tools. Simples.

John M

Edited By John Minchell on 21/12/2019 12:40:05

The way I read the legislation there will be very few scenarios where the label can be on the inside of the aircraft.

The legislation states that wherever possible the label must be fixed to the outside of the aircraft. If that it is not possible then it is okay to fix it to the inside if it can be accessed without tools.

Now I can’t imagine there are many models where it is not possible to display the label on the outside of the airframe.

So as I read it, it is clear that the label must be displayed on the outside of the aircraft. Mind you I doubt that any policeman would complain if you could show the label simply by opening a hatch or removing the wing.

Cheers,

Nigel

I have already stocked up on Inkjet vinyl.

I really don't understand why so many people are getting their knickers in a twist over a small number on their models. Anyone would think that they believe that they will also have to wear suits with broad arrows all over them the way they keep whinging on about it.

A small number like a RAF serial number up under the tailplane looks fine.

But then I suppose that people who have never had to live with an eight digit service number governing their lives for years will never understand that it just does not matter.

Personally numbers don't matter. Some...perhaps one or two at least...may have noticed that I often have my BMFA number in large numbers of one wing of my non scale models.