Lockdown Models

David Davis

I see that Low Pass Pete has started a thread/build blog on his SLEC Fun Fly during the lockdown but I'm surprised that no-one has started a thread for all of the models that are being built or renovated during the lockdown so I'll kick off.

I am currently in the process of finishing off Dr Walt Good's 1938 Big Guff. I am also building a double size Vic Smeed Tomboy and I have repaired a WOT 4 XL and installed a Laser 150V twin which I bought at an auction years ago.

still a long way to go but we all do this dont we (2).jpg

fuselage.jpg

first run up in years (2).jpg

first run up in years (9).jpg

What are the rest of you doing?

Edited By David Davis on 03/05/2020 09:14:12

Advert

hello David(bonjour)?...I've built an oowah,repaired and done some maintenance on a few of my squadron, sold two models, counted how many bricks our house is made from,,,,now a lockdown haircut is looming...don't know whether to adopt the wild look or the home haircut from her indoors...….

ken anderson....ne...1... lockdown dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 03/05/2020 09:22:57

Not a model but i have done a rebuild on my SC400 radial.

Completely stripped, cleaned, shot blasted with the cylinders and rocker covers painted and new bearings and twin ring pistons on the inside as well as replacing all the O rings and grinding all the valves/seats. I even cleaned and repainted the enamel on the little name tag although i do need to get some little brass screws to finish it off.

Looks better than it did when new and runs better too with the on board glow not needed for the first time since i got it. 7800rpm recorded on a menz 20x8 and 6800 on a 21x8 (forgot the brand) which is 500rpm faster than its ever gone before

radial repaint.jpg

And yes i know one rocker cover is missing. I left it at work

Having (very) recently retired, I have undertaken a few tasks.......

• Moved all my fw models to my Taranis
  • Moved my Blade 150 heli to my Taranis (cribbed the setup from another forum)
  • Added model images and voice warnings to my Taranis - and a volume control in case they get annoying (OpenTx has a steep learning cliff!)
  • Played around in the house with my ancient mcpx and micro fpv quad
  • Built an sfm SE5a
  • Fixed my Durafly spitfire 24
  • FInished my (dancing wings?) Tiger Moth
  • Run in my only petrol engine
  • Fixed my eflite A_10 and F!6 - both been sitting neglected for a few years
  • Tidied my Pigeon Coop (no pigeons, just my stuff) multiple times

Going to build a small DR1 next...

GG

My 'Lockdown Model' - Phoenix Model Products (PMP) sport scale 'D H Chipmunk'.

Superb kit as always from Stan Yeo. I added a few bits (L.E. stall strips, Landing Light, Wheel fairings, Specific Vinyl Decals). Model depicts a 9 AEF aircraft based at RAF Church Fenton circa 1977. Came in at design weight 1.5Kg, with 3S LiPo.

chipmunk #8.jpg

chipmunk underside #2.jpg

chipmunk port view #12.jpg

Posted by GrumpyGnome on 04/05/2020 10:40:46:

Hi Jon

Quite an enjoyable and easy build. Only minor challenges were:

• the abs radiator/grill
  • covering in heavyweight tissue - long forgotten skills!

Just waiting for paint for wheel hubs.......... and to be able to maiden it of course.

GG

I was going to solartex mine but it might be a little small to take the weight. hmmmmm.

Food for thought, i just think it will make a nice home for a 40 4 stroke.

I am also eyeing up the new (ish) VQ Beech Baron twin for a pair of saito 45's i have.

Its daft really, i already have more models than i know what to do with.

Lovely Chipmunk Capt! Very nice indeed

I finished the Phoenix Models Chipmunk last year and managed a few flights before the rains came and our strip became unusable. I added a few more details including fairing the undercarriage legs and including a landing light on one of the legs.

It was a great build which I fully enjoyed. More importantly it flew really well on the recommended Overland motor and 3 cell 2200 mah pack. On a maiden flight I would normally take this gently, but this time I felt confident to explore the aerobatic potential. Like the full size it performed really well.

Fully recommended !

My son bought me a Micro-Mold Lark Mk2 off ebay for Christmas, and I've been busily converting it to electric:

Initial test hops looked promising, though I needed to adjust the gearing and fit a 4S pack rather than 3S:

Since then, I've fitted a 12 tooth motor pulley to replace the 10 tooth, and fitted a 4S battery. Its airborne at half throttle, but the ESC "glitches" for some reason:
Hopefully its just a case of backing off the timing a bit to cope with the high inertia of the rotor system. Otherwise, I will need to do a bit of head scratching!
I don't have a lot of space in that garden, so I'm keeping it in ground effect at present. Its quite tricky to fly an un-trimmed heli in a confined space in ground effect!
Martin Briggs and Martin Kaye helped with some CAD drawings of their conversion, and Geoff Bell machined me the motor mount and chassis plate, so something of a team effort!
All I need now is to get it somewhere with a bit more space so that I can trim it out properly!
laugh
--
Pete

I hope I can show my yet-to-be-built model that I have been working on, the design in cad that is. It's a semi scale rendition of the home built full size "Legal Eagle". I am still in two minds about the name, but I am tending to "Eaglet" for obvious reasons. I will probably add the name "Eddy" to my build..........winksmiley

Max.

eaglet.jpg

Posted by GrumpyGnome on 04/05/2020 11:36:06:

".... allowed out on the hills....." ?

Yep. Here in the IOM we’ve closed the border so some restrictions have been eased. No groups and still social distancing but we can go out any time, not just once a day.

I've dug out the 51 year old Barnstormer 52" plan - 12s 6d.

It's not going too badly........

Going to put ailerons on it.

Fuselage built in the style of the larger versions.

barnstormer52.jpg

img_0309.jpg

halfway there b52.jpg

Wasn't going to post the last one as my workshop looks such a mess, but just saw pictures of others that look as bad...

Edited By Barnstormer 52 on 04/05/2020 17:22:19

Edited By Barnstormer 52 on 04/05/2020 17:23:20

Posted by Neil James on 04/05/2020 16:23:21:
Posted by GrumpyGnome on 04/05/2020 11:36:06:

".... allowed out on the hills....." ?

Yep. Here in the IOM we’ve closed the border so some restrictions have been eased. No groups and still social distancing but we can go out any time, not just once a day.

Hopefully we will be in not too distant future.... enjoy the freedom, and stay safe.

GG

I have started test running some models in the garden to give the engines a little clean out. I have does short videos of them and will be sticking them on youtube as, frankly, i have little else to do in the evenings!