The State of Play

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

Ah well , you might titter ... but in this bold thrust toward a brave new world , we may not only need ambassadors and champions who lead our forces , but perhaps as suggested above , a new language .

I have always struggled with the name for people who build ARTFs . Hows does one refer to them ? Artf "ers" ?

"Ready to fliyers ?? " None of it really flows ,

Henceforth , they should be referred to as ARFURS or if more appropriate MARFURS ,

There we are , the fabulous and simple new language of HOBB. (Holy Order of Balsa Bashing).

It could be worthwhile considering 'remote mentoring' using the like of Skype, Face Time etc. I currently do that with my brother plus a couple of club mates, if one of us has an issue with a build we setup a call, works quite well. If we do get a second / third wave of the CV then this will become even more important plus, with my club anyway, we have seen a steady decline in the number of attendees at club meetings over the last few years and I think that even when they do resume I think a lot of members will feel uneasy about going along.

Trouble is I don't know what the TLA would be for this, maybe R (remotely) A (assisted) W (working).

You are right Ron , newbies (we have to come up with a suitable initialism for those aspiring to be a NOB)

ANOB ? Aspiring to be a right and proper NOB ? (This really has gone too far now ) sorry .

As Ron points out , we cannot assume that face to face meetings will continue during the winter . So if they dont, we may be looking at Satellite support from leading NOBs with the donor kits placed in a selection of areas . ANOBs can then feel comfortable asking their allocated NOB, detailed questions about their problems without fear of being embarrassed......

Im ,going pretend I didnt see that Peter ,

Now , as the forces of HOB gather momentum , it is worth mentioning that there will of course be opposition .

Namely , those that continue to extol the virtues of a model that simply requires assembly and yet still calls itself a "Kit" . Frankly , there is more "Kit " in a Kitkat (or for that matter , even a Mars bar , which at least has to be unwrapped .

These people are likely to be members of "The Chinese Appreciation Society for the Protection of Eastern Retail,

In HOBs simple language , they are known as "Caspers" . There is very little point in approaching a Casper . They cannot be converted and sadly , they cannot be saved . Their future is based on a man in China (virtually on the other side of the world ) guessing what a man in his shed in Britain would like for his 60th Birthday . Yet the two will never speak or communicate in anyway . Takes "Chinese Whispers " to another level doesnt it ?

If I were the Chinese man , I would send a life size clone of Kylie Minogue . At least he might be in the ball park .

Anyway , luckily we do have an Agent in place (or should I say , double Agent ?) Our very own Graham Davies , who to all intents and purposes , works for a company that imports from China . (No Peter , he cant get you a Kylie )

Admittedly , he does have a weekly confession with the Right Reverend Sweep to stop him "leaning East " , but so far , it seems to be working . But remember , the dark side is always calling ,(Ron , you know what Im talking about , best you book yourself in with Sweep pronto ).

You're a wordsmith as well as a kit deity Richard. This is most amusing... I'm already down for two of your kits, with you keeping one warm for me whilst the other has its finishing touches added. Given all the positive praise I am fairly sure I'll keep coming back for more home baked fare from your good self.

It is fair to say that the dark side tends to rear its head quite frequently but less so now than it did.I put this down to my new LA-7 petronus (see Harry Potter!) which emanates from my scalpel blade when thoughts stray too far 'East'. I am confident that with practice, and the imminent BF110 build 'Eastern' longings will be held at bay then the onslaught of the P51 will consign them to the dim distant past.

Well Ron , It takes a big man to recognise his own weakness . I'm sure we all appreciate your honestly . There will be times when you will , once again fall off the wagon . The temptress of the East will not give up her hard won souls without a fight , but with your fellow NOBs from HOB (careful) forming a ring of steel (well ,moderately stiff balsa ) around you , salvation is just around the corner .

The reverent Sweep has asked me to send you a Keil Kraft Fleetwing plan , to be copied out five time in quick succession , whenever you feel your resolve fading .

The wisdom of that small grey dog , in a dog collar (what else?) astounds me . Everyone knows that there is nothing more pure and cleansing than a crisp white plan from the 70s .

We used to call ARTF purchasers "Cheque book flyers" and treat them with contempt.

The name has changed but from many people the contempt remains. I'm not one of them of course

Then there are those who create a 'build' thread for an ARTF. I'm eagerly awaiting the flat pack table episode. That will be real exciting.

Or even better 'unboxing' for people who can't even chew gum and walk at the same time

The great Guru says its natural selection . If daft people want to watch a humourless person opening a box with fake gravitas , then its great because it keeps that lot out of our way . They wont come looking here . We havent left any bread crumbs , .....or .... biscuit, erm ......crumbs . They wouldnt know their HOBs from there NOBs anyway .

Dont tell em nuffink.

I have been desperately trying to avoid adding a post to this thread as it would be far to easy to stray from the, rightly, high standards expected of a HOBB (mentioning no names but Ron and Peter might take a moment to look closely at their behaviour) but a danger lurks in the Frequently Uninformed Chinese.......oh.

For all the good solid technical advice this forum has provided, it all falls into a back seat when compared to this thread!

I am actually working on importing a Chinese Kylie Minogue. We expect a reasonable facsimile, although at a slightly reduced scale, and with some questionable functionality. For most people, it will almost certainly be good enough. However, all good NOBs know the benefit of crafting their own...

Posted by Graham Davies 3 on 05/07/2020 23:05:20:

For all the good solid technical advice this forum has provided, it all falls into a back seat when compared to this thread!

I am actually working on importing a Chinese Kylie Minogue. We expect a reasonable facsimile, although at a slightly reduced scale, and with some questionable functionality. For most people, it will almost certainly be good enough. However, all good NOBs know the benefit of crafting their own...

Questionable functionality will make the Minogue replica very accurate..

What we really need is a replica of that ghastly 'professional know-all' TV woman who tells us how to make Christmas decorations, lay the table, wrap parcels so they look pretty, make avocado and quinoa canapes, tend potted plants, and how to buy a house.

It could put our ARTFs together for us.