Is the hobby dying/dead

Tony H

I agree with most of the above .The club I joined a few years ago has shrunk ,it started many years ago at a large public park and a small rent paid to the local council. That has gone with the CAA regs. so more flyers will pack it in I'm afraid.

Advert

It's always good to give this 'old chestnut' of a subject an airingwink.......................

I've read through the contributions of those above and TBH everyone makes a good point here and there, depending on one's own point of view of course. The hobby is surviving pretty well, I wouldn't say it was thriving across all areas, but the patient that is the hobby of aeromodelling is far from moribund.The backbone of the hobby is its clubs and although the days of huge memberships, long waiting lists and very active club social events are mostly finished, we seem to be ticking over really quite well. The elephant in the room is the increasing age demographic, my own two clubs comprising of just a tad under a couple of hundred members now, I'd estimate would have most members in the 55+ age bracket, and this number increases yearly because of fewer (often zero) teens and twenty or thirty somethings joining us.

As membership sec for one of those clubs for the last twenty years or so, I've noted the change and recently published for members' info some hard data illustrating the yearly decline in our membership numbers (147 ten years ago to 90 now) and the steady greying of those that do remain. I doubt if many other clubs of a reasonable size will be much different. What is noticeable is that some new members now tend not to make such a commitment to their new hobby as those that took up model flying say thirty of forty years ago did.

Of course, we've always had those that came and went quite quickly after a year or two, but they'd be part of an intake of maybe three or four times their number over the same period and many of those are still active after all these years. Where we'll be as a hobby in ten or fifteen years time is anyone's guess - those retired and very active now will be in their late 70s+ and beginning to hang up their trannies for various reasons - I think we'll see fewer clubs in existence and dare I say it, the BMFA membership and finances coming under pressure which will bring its own set of problems for us. Enjoy it while you can!

Some of you might know, for about the last 50 years, I have been introducing the hobby to youngsters via buddy-box flights. These sessions are always popular, and the kids are very enthusiastic. smiley . If we turn back the clock by about 20 years, for every 100 kids who had a go, probably 3 or 4 took up the hobby yes. . Nowadays we are lucky to get 1 in every thousand. sad

I don't know why the kids aren't getting involved, but there is definitely a tendency for some parents to pour cold water on the whole thing. And some parents are fairly open about not wanting to be torn away from their beer, TV and video games to support their child's new hobby. thinking . . With parents like that, the kids stand no chance.

On the other hand, some of you might not know that another of my pursuits is shooting. This is something that I have done for almost as long as model flying (since early childhood), but getting kids interested in this is very much easier and, strangely, the parents seem more keen to support this sport. . It's all very weird.

So the kids are still getting their noses off those stupid, brain-dulling video games yes, but they just don't seem to be channelling their outdoor interests into model flying. . But they do like the idea of drones, so maybe that's where the future lies.

Below is an 8-year-old having his first session with a rifle just before the lockdown took effect.

Zavier. First go at shooting.jpg

Most points raised here are probably valid reasons for the change. Something that had gone through my mind over recent years is lack of exposure to the hobby. How do people know it exists and how do they start? Up til about 20 or30 years ago every town however small appeared to have either a model shop or a sports and hobbies shop with a modelling section I can think of three smallish towns round here that had two.We shopped in the towns in those days. How many of us were hooked by looking in the shop window etc. So how does the “man or boy in the street get his introduction. How many of us started spending our pocket money on Kiel Kraft kits in the local sports shop hardware store bike shop etc etc.

Posted by gangster on 24/06/2020 15:08:40:

Most points raised here are probably valid reasons for the change. Something that had gone through my mind over recent years is lack of exposure to the hobby. How do people know it exists and how do they start? Up til about 20 or30 years ago every town however small appeared to have either a model shop or a sports and hobbies shop with a modelling section I can think of three smallish towns round here that had two.We shopped in the towns in those days. How many of us were hooked by looking in the shop window etc. So how does the “man or boy in the street get his introduction. How many of us started spending our pocket money on Kiel Kraft kits in the local sports shop hardware store bike shop etc etc.

Gangster, the strange thing now is that despite, as you say, less shops stocking kits, you probably see more signs of model flying in parks than we did then. Sure a lot will be drones, but not all.

I don't ever recall coming across people flying free flight or control line in parks or recreation grounds when I was young (early 1970s), yet our town had three shops (one toyshop, one sports shop and one model shop) selling Keilkraft & Veron models back then.

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 24/06/2020 10:50:27:
Posted by Nigel R on 24/06/2020 10:46:48

Unless we have commercial interests in the hobby why should we care?

We should care as our ongoing participation requires commercial viability. Without new blood commercial viability goes out the window.

Edited By Ted Khinsoe on 24/06/2020 15:23:23

As long as plans / balsa / electric motors / batteries / Laser engines / fuel and enthusiasm are around, I will still be building / flying and posting on here. It will be a sad day when I get rid of any of my 'fleet' because I think the sport is in decline.

The sport is not dead, it is changing.

Posted by Ted Khinsoe on 24/06/2020 15:22:56:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 24/06/2020 10:50:27:
Posted by Nigel R on 24/06/2020 10:46:48

Unless we have commercial interests in the hobby why should we care?

We should care as our ongoing participation requires commercial viability. Without new blood commercial viability goes out the window.

Edited By Ted Khinsoe on 24/06/2020 15:23:23

My point exactly, it doesn't take much to change to make the already struggling RC industry to become un commercially viable. As sad as that is, hopefully it will continue indefinitely, I am just concerned for it's future that's all. I think the majority of people don't understand it or get why we want to make model planes and stand in a field, people think it is an eccentric's hobby for strange older people, that's also partly why youngsters don't want to be part of it, the image is bad.

They don't seem to realise what creative craft type people get out of it, which is a lot of pleasure and mental stimulation.

A big reason for many youngsters not being interested is, I submit, what past generations called 'air-mindedness' or how it applies to our hobby, the lack of it.

I'm a child of the early 60's - kids' TV carried programmes about aeroplanes, how we invented the jet, famous fighter pilots, The Dam Busters, Spitfires, Hurricanes etc etc. Boys' comics at the time would also have regular articles about WW1 &WW2 Aces (still remember an article about how the famous Ferrari prancing horse logo came about). This all rubbed off on many of us and encouraged us to build up our own airforce from Airfix or whatever. Some of us, frustrated by the static nature of plastic kits went to Keil-Kraft and wound up where we are now!

Doesn't happen now because kids' exposure to anything remotely unsettling has been taken off the agenda or diluted by the curse of political correctness and 'elf 'n' safety. Aviation is safe these days, ubiquitous and common as riding in a car - why would you want to emulate all that? You might as well learn to juggle or spin plates - both need excellent hand/eye coordination and I'm sure could be great fun.

Put a flying model in front of the average 10 year old and what connection to it will he have in 2020? It's merely a thing that flys - could be a kite or a ball, there's that lack of connection to aviation and the miracle of flying that I think we connected with because of 20th century history ( not necessarily military) that got our creative juices flowing.

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/06/2020 16:01:35

A long time ago, aged 13. I can also remember fabricating a rudder for the school's sailing boat. In the 6th form we could join the motor club, where we built an A7 special. With a 100 school clubs and societies, its amazing that we ever had time for A levels.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how many of those posting have;

- Given a talk on RC flying at a local school

- Displayed RC models at local events (fetes / air shows )

- Run a model-building session for beginners

- Written an article / blog for non-modellers

- Sent off for a DBS check

I ask because several posters have referred to the challenges of engaging with potential recruits. I just wonder if there's some experienced hands who could offer advice on generating the new recruits all RC clubs need to stay viable. No office meant to anyone in this thread or lurking smiley

AliT

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 24/06/2020 11:20:06:

I am not sure how other traders are doing but its been really busy here. Jan/Feb were stone dead, but the last few months have been extremely busy compared to the last few years. I think the high cost of Japanese engines is contributory but certainly its been ok for us.

I know others i the model trade have also been rushed off their feet as idle hands start building models.

Model Technics on the other hand have been slow as people couldnt fly so no one was using fuel.

I think Gary is right when it comes to young members. The allure of instant gratification from electronic devices is very tempting, but it also requires little effort on the part of the parent as they can plonk jr in front of the tv and its job done. On numerous occasions we have had youngsters visit the field with dad to see what its all about only for dad to turn around and say its too time consuming as 'i go to the pub on saturdays, ill get you an xbox instead'. And no i didnt make that up, one actually said that.

There is also the nanny state argument that kids cant buy fuel, knives, glue etc so couldnt build a model off their own back even if they wanted to.

To counter Richards point though, we need to encourage new people to come in to the hobby. If we dont, there is no longer a business case for making any of the stuff we all need. Also, why would we not want to bring new people in?

There is certainly no reason to NOT want new people in.

Even fishing, not long ago more popular than even WATCHING football (both live and on TV) has greatly declined.

It's all about effort-free instant gratification. But then older people have no doubt been whingeing about 'modern yoof' for thousands of years.

There isn't an answer. If someone wants to do it they will find, even more so today with the internet, the answers to any questions they might have.. But trying to encourage people do to something that they are not greatly interested is futile. Who looks up at a 'real' plane now?

Alistair: Yup, I have ticked all those boxes.

A good place to start introducing youngsters to model flying is with a local Cub Scout group. However, be aware that they usually have their programme of activities planned up to a school term in advance.

B. C. . Retired Cub Scout Leader.. wink

Posted by Martian on 24/06/2020 17:03:32:

I do at every one that flies over even dash out the house to look and I very much doubt I'm on my own

I do if I hear an 'unusual' aircraft sound.

There ARE positives. Barrie's chuck gliders are brilliant, and I once spent a couple of years, entirely single-handedly, doing model planes as part of some kids doing a Duke of Edinburgh Award.

The comment about a group buying their own flying site is worth looking at. An RC flying field only needs a few acres preferably away from any housing sites.

I went to the Freeflight & Control line Nationals last year, first time I have ever been and thought it was amazing, stuff I only ever saw in the late 70/80's aeromodeller mags. I am now 56 and most were alot older than me, I thought then that this side of the hobby will go less and less.

Was planning to go again but covid 19 saw the end to that.

I worked in an upper school back in the 80s and 90s.

One September we held a major exhibition about hobbies etc and we had all sorts of organisations with stands from needle work and radio hams etc.

Naturally I was asked to put on a stand about model aircraft.

I had three long tables with a whole range of models.I had a video of Old Warden running and I had a big stack of free magazines.

300 13 year old children came through. Each had a note pad for answers to questions etc.

I had two very simple questions,No one stood to watch the video and NOT one magazine was taken.

I make no comment

Edited By Peter Miller on 24/06/2020 18:26:29

Stuart C Ref your post at 15.54. You must be an old fogie like me. I made a Sudgen Special as a metalwork project way back in 1969/70. The hardest part was casting the crankcase. My Metalwork teacher (Mr. 'noddy' Norris) had the drawing and just one casting as a pattern. It took me ages to get a complete casting (without blow holes) but that may be something to do with using the milk tops from the free milk we were given in those days. Once completed it did work and I was looking forward to taking it home to add to my collection of other diesels, ED Racer, DC dart and Frog 0.9, but the teacher had other ideas. The last time I saw it it was in the display cabinet in the department entry. The school has since been 'redeveloped' I wonder what happened to 'my' engine.

Barry mentioned Flite Test with over a million and a half subscribers. I doubt if the majority of those 'dudes' that watch FT are in the least bit interested in aeromodelling in the long term and I reckon not long past the first bad crash or fly away and lost model. I'm really not being sniffy, but to quote one of the commenters on the first beginners video...........

"Dude you guys freaking rock yo! I'm a beginner and I don't have a clue what to do or hw to do it lol. Your video is awesome and will definitely help me a great deal man! Thanks a million dudes!" Eh?thinking

It's more about being part of the 'community' rather than model flying per se. Watching the vids, talking the talk etc rather than standing about on an 'awesome' cold, windy and possibly muddy flying field wink