Aero art

Ernie

Advert

Posted by Keiran Arnold on 16/07/2020 10:21:30:

Here a Picture I own by a dear departed friend

as-10 ju88.jpg

Nice picture that. It successfully combines aircraft accuracy and 'art', which many aviation artists fail to do well..

I looked up the 'scene' as I recognised Salisbury cathedral. August 15th 1940, an attack on Middle Wallop and Worthy Down airfields. Three JU88s were shot down and it is likely that is the one that crashed at Wellow, half way between Salisbury and Romsey, as it is the nearest to Salisbury Ju88 crash that evening. , .

Ascension turnaround, by Richard (or Robert) Wong. A very poor photograph of what was once my copy of a limited edition. It once hung inside our narrowboat, named "Wideawake", but was lost when the boat was burgled at its mooring and it and several other irreplaceable photos of Ascension were stolen. Have tried long and hard to find another copy, but never had any luck.angryasi turnaround 2.jpg

Posted by Eric Robson on 16/07/2020 19:32:49:

Hi Alan , it is an Airspeed Oxford. not an Anson. The Oxford did have a dorsal turret. I think the young lady in the first picture would struggle pedalling a mans bike with those high heels?

Eric r,

Edited By Eric Robson on 16/07/2020 19:39:57

I shouldn't think she'd have a problem. It's usual to pedal with the ball of the foot on the pedal so the heel would be well clear. My pre-clipless racing shoes had curved soles much like a high-heeled shoe - very awkward to walk in though

Excellent pictures, all. Most of the ones displayed in my workshop are of sailing yachts though I do have the iconic picture of the Wright Flyer's first powered flight at Kitty Hawk - which I bought at Kitty Hawk.

Geoff

Sorry Ernie and Geoff and all. Not often I am right but here we are wrong again. I dropped my lap top and now the pad has stopped working so I am using a mouse and can't expand the image. My close up vision is not the best but I now see the cleats and straps.

How are you getting on with the Fury Ernie? I have had a lot of flying with mine lately. Your etchings were a great help.

Ernie Richard et al Yes the picture of the Oxford and JU88 is over Grantham, the JU88 crashed on the edge of the Village where I lived at the time (Barrowby) and one of the older villagers told me about it so I did some research and got my friend to do the painting for me. As an aside I have made a point of visiting the graves of both of the Crews involved.

Edited By Keiran Arnold on 17/07/2020 14:24:30