Tig Welder.

john stones 1 - Moderator

I had a Chinese tig for a while and it did the job, but if you want a proper brand the parweld xtt202p AC/DC is the base end, prob still Chinese but a little better. https://www.tbws.co.uk/shop/parweld-xtt-202p-ac-dc-pulsed-tig-welder/

also https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/tig-welder-240v-ac-dc-160amp/

other option is used and I went for a Miller at about 900 ish.

Edited By Mark Turner 12 on 10/10/2020 22:39:25

Hello John . I have just set up a Tig welding set and went for a budget set , Under £200 for the basic set but by the time you buy a auto dimming mask ,gas regulator/flow meter., a Argon cylinder etc it will set you back about £400 ish I have opted for a DC set with a pulse feature for use with stainless steel mild steel . The pulse is very handy for working on thinner material It also has a auto arc start rather than a scratch start that is very useful . My basic set came with a Mask that was rubbish so bought a self dimming mask . A torch that is OK for now but will probably get a better quality torch later on and a few cables etc . Overall I'm pleased with the set .

If you need to weld aluminium then you will need a AC/DC set that will certainly double or triple the price of the basic unit . I have also bought a precision pulse unit that can be used to do the so called " cold welding" you can see this on YouTube . Very handy for welding small thin material / items .

Good luck and let us know what you buy and how you get on .

Posted by Doc Marten on 11/10/2020 12:12:57:

How do you purchase your gas ED?

Through a local welding supplies shop . They sell the 10 ltr bottles ,I thinks it's supplied by Adams gasses, You pay a £50 deposit then only pay for refills currently about £48 . No rental to pay as you have to with BOC etc . Only use pure Argon as Argon/CO2 mix is no good for Tig as it ruins the tip.Serious users can use Argon/ Helium mix but pure Argon is fine for most welds. Some good tutorials on YouTube and some boring duffers.

I'm still new to Tig but love playing with the so called " cold weld" method , look on YouTube. I have used other welding techniques on heavier car repairs for years , mostly Mig and spot and occasional arc welding for heavy stuff. I still have a small plumbers oxy acetylene set but when I run out of acetylene that will be retired as it harder to get acetylene now with health and safety regs.

Hi John, Looks like you have found the main problem with gasless welding systems, they just do not cope well with thin plate and blow through.

The gas system not only shields the weld from impurities in the air but cools it as well.

Better welders have variable wire feed and also have variable power or many small step ups for the power.

Mig welding forum uk has much info . Enter the name/number of a welder in the search box to find out more.

Hope this helps Cheers, John.

PS  I think it would be fair to say one needs to learn how to mig weld before moving on to tig.

Edited By J D 8 on 15/10/2020 09:16:26

• 4 months later...
On 15/10/2020 at 00:09, john stones 1 Moderator said:

Opinions please. **LINK**

I think you may need to be careful that you get what you expect.  I think these listings are usually just for the base unit and MMA leads so you will need to budget for the TIG extras.  If only there were affordable AC units I'd love to get one for aluminium but DC should do stainless and ordinary steel welding. 

Meanwhile I'll have to stick to my ancient arc welder for heavier gauge steel and MIG for sheet work and (rather splodgy) aluminium welding as I gave up my oxy/acetylene bottles a couple of years ago because the cost was getting ridiculous.

I've never had a chance to try TIG JD8 but always fancied it had more in common with gas welding once the arc was established?

There are places that "rent out the gear under super vision " I gather you go on the course for about £80 and when you  have completed it you then can rent the gear in their workshop and do you own thing , at a reasonable cost . 

been very tempted in the past !

cheers